x = 1300
    Thanks. Math fail indeed.

Thanks for the website quannum.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Alright new question.

The maringal cost of producting the xth roll of film is 5 + 2x + 1/x. The toal cost to produce one roll is $1000. Find the Cost function C(x).

From what I could understand from youtube videos is you just plug $1000 in for X but that seems way to fucking simple to be right. Am I missing something or is it really that easy?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

You are missing something, if I understand the question right.

They probably want the cost of producing an arbitrary number of films.

You solve the given equation for x=1 to get your offset. 5+2+1=8, but they are telling you it cost 1000 so there must be $992 of fixed costs inherent in making film.

Now you need to add up all the costs of each roll.

Edit I started trying to drive a more general form, but this is probably what they are looking for:
    992 + sigma(5 + 2x + 1/x) from 1 to x

Are you doing Taylor series and shit in class?

The marginal cost function is the derivative of the cost function. If you're given the marginal cost function, find the antiderivative, using the offset that Byrthnoth was talking about to determine the value of C (the unknown constant of any antiderivative).

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...evenue-an.html

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It wasn't until this year that I realized how awesome calculus is.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    You are missing something, if I understand the question right.

They probably want the cost of producing an arbitrary number of films.

You solve the given equation for x=1 to get your offset. 5+2+1=8, but they are telling you it cost 1000 so there must be $992 of fixed costs inherent in making film.

Now you need to add up all the costs of each roll.

Edit I started trying to drive a more general form, but this is probably what they are looking for:
    992 + sigma(5 + 2x + 1/x) from 1 to x

Are you doing Taylor series and shit in class?
    no clue what the taylor series is so i guess not lol. went over the question in class and we had to integrate it, then plug in 1000 for x. so it was that simple i was just missing the integration part.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylee View Post
    no clue what the taylor series is so i guess not lol. went over the question in class and we had to integrate it, then plug in 1000 for x. so it was that simple i was just missing the integration part.
    Out of curiosity, did you not notice my post immediately after Byrthnoth's, or are they no longer teaching "antiderivative" as the proper term these days? Usually people only refer to it as an integral when it's a definite integral (i.e. has proper lower/upper bounds so that the integration resolves to a number).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you not notice my post immediately after Byrthnoth's, or are they no longer teaching "antiderivative" as the proper term these days? Usually people only refer to it as an integral when it's a definite integral (i.e. has proper lower/upper bounds so that the integration resolves to a number).
    Antiderivative and indefinite integral are interchangeable and everyone who uses them understands they both mean the same thing. Calling attention to the difference really isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Antiderivative and indefinite integral are interchangeable and everyone who uses them understands they both mean the same thing. Calling attention to the difference really isn't necessary.
    I agree, but he didn't use the keyword you did (bolded). I was just curious if it was a gap in vocabulary or what, because I'm used to only seeing/using "integrate" and "integral" when dealing with the definite version. My professors were a bit old fashioned and rigid, so I wouldn't be shocked if things have changed in the decade or so since I took calculus.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sorry I suck at what shits called I just know what they look like lol. We were integrating some and doing definite integrals on others (which really fucked me up cuz i'd always forget the +C on the integration). So we did the integrate like ∫ 2x + 12 and then we were doing the same thing on other problems but with the upper and lower bounds.