Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Not without my ovaries.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    There's a lot of misconceptions about what the pill does, and even Aksannyi doesn't have it completely right.

Basically, the pill causes a change of hormones that essentially mimics the effects of the progesterone drop that causes periods. This effectively prevents pregnancies in a variety of ways:
    1) Preventing ovulation (although this is irrelevant if an egg is already present)
    2) Preventing fertilization (although this is irrelevant if an egg is present and already fertilized)
    3) Preventing implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterine lining (although this is irrelevant if a fertilized egg has already implanted)

Source: http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/plan-b

The only reason it's technically not an abortion pill is because it doesn't cause a miscarriage if a fertilized egg has already implanted when the pill is taken. However, there is very little real difference between a very early miscarriage (AKA spontaneous abortion), and a normal period that happens to flush out a fertilized egg before it had an opportunity to implant. The latter happens to tens (maybe even hundreds) of thousands of women each month, and most of them don't even realize it happened.

I hate my job for making me learn this much about women's health.
    Okay, that I didn't know - that's actually fascinating how the pill actually works.

That said, I still wouldn't call it an abortion pill, and obviously as any birth control method, it isn't foolproof. What percentage of women who take the morning after pill still end up pregnant?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Well I'd agree, it's better to have a preventive measure in place - and I know someone who literally gets pregnant every year or so and just has an abortion and that's her form of birth control - which I frown upon. It shouldn't be your primary method of not getting knocked up.

That said, I don't see why an emergency contraceptive can't be covered by insurance. Emergency surgery is covered, emergency trauma services are covered, etc. Granted, these aren't life-threatening, but they're an emergency service all the same. It should be available/covered.

Ahh, okay, I misread. I think it should be covered by health insurance. I also think that abortions should be, but limited. It shouldn't be "have all the abortions!" One, maybe two annually.
    we all know this is not the norm tho. I know of 2 girls that have had an abortion, one was very closed about it. Was friends with her for close to 2 years before she even said a word about it. Most woman don't ever want to talk about it, its kinda shameful they fell. Not so much about the outlook of how overs feel but from what I gathered from her was she was sad she could not have the kid it was with a guy she knew she could not trust and what not. She was 17 when I knew her so I think that put her at around 15~early 16 tops when it happened

So to say people would go out and just have them all the time I think is a little to fearful.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that. Just with anything, people abuse it. I'm just using that as an example to illustrate why I feel like abortion is not a valid birth control method.

But like everything, abortion, welfare-fraud, etc etc. The outlying will always be used to showcase what people believe is the norm. Oh some random person stole 30,000 in welfare funds? EVERYONE IS DOING IT!!!!...someone has an abortion every year because condoms are so hard to use? OMG BABY GENOCIDE GOING ON.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

We should do our best to stop fraud but you can't base shit off it. I disagree with a lot of shit but unless its rampant that's a very bad argument.

It is very valid. Much so for young kids who fear what to do right away. I know there are some people who put their money where their mouth is and would force their kid to a baby if they got pregnant. But I bet 9 times out of 10 if someone's 14 -16 year old kid was having a kid they would at the very least tell them about it.

Should it be the go to? No but that's where the other side comes in and says "well let them have plan b"

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I think you all are misunderstanding me.

I'm not talking about eradicating abortion and saying that it should never be used. Obviously it is a legitimate means of not undergoing an unwanted pregnancy, just as the pill, condoms, or Plan B are. I definitely think abortion is there and it serves the purpose. But I don't like that (some) people just don't bother to protect themselves and think, "Oh well I'll just go get another abortion no biggie." Of course that's not the norm, but I also don't think it should be encouraged, either. (And I'm not saying it is. But adding abortion to the "methods of birth control" list can and does unwittingly encourage its use.) I'd prefer to see less abortions, not more, but I don't believe they should be banned entirely. This is where pro-choice and pro-life tends to overlap, at least for me. Of course women should have the right to choose, but I think abortion should be a last resort after all other methods of birth control have failed. It shouldn't be the birth control method. Hope that makes sense.

Sex education is the first step, I've always said that. You want to prevent abortion, educate people on how not to get pregnant in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    It shouldn't be "have all the abortions!" One, maybe two annually.
    why do you hate women? oh wait, religion.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm not religious.

what explains you wanting to punish women for having sex?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Isn't the cost of abortion disincentive enough?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    When has she ever stated that?

Was going to post a response to the topic, but I want to see where this is going.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I don't want to punish women for having sex.

I want to educate women before they have sex. Abortion is not a risk-free procedure and can damage a woman's reproductive health. Granted, abortions in clinics and hospitals are much safer and cleaner than back-alley abortions, but the fact remains that it can still be a risky procedure when comparatively, there are plenty of low-risk preventive methods. Not only are there condoms and spermicide inserts that can be purchased over the counter, there are pills, IUDs, the patch, sponges, etc., all of which can prevent unwanted pregnancy and make sexual encounters a lot less stressful.

Please keep in mind that I never said that abortions should be illegal or should be hard to obtain. I would support insurance covering them, but as with many other medical procedures, it should be covered annually or twice annually. I also believe that clinics that perform abortions should do their best to educate the women on birth control methods. Granted, birth control methods can and do fail. I am well aware of that. The odds of birth control failing more than once a year when used correctly are very low.

All that aside, an insurance company and those paying into their policies are going to be afforded a better value on contraceptives over abortions, that's factual. I would much rather know that my insurance dollars are being allocated toward birth control which is much cheaper in the long run than several abortions. I'm all about keeping my premiums down.

what happens when a woman wants a 3rd abortion in a year?

BG Level

fuck i didn't even know the sponge was still a thing

apparently it went away in 1995 (to Elaine of Seinfeld's dismay), but they brought it back in 2005.

goddamn they're like 4 bucks a pop

http://www.todaysponge.com/

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

what happens when a woman wants a 3rd abortion in a year?
    The same as someone who wants any other procedure not covered by their insurance - they pay for it out of pocket.

so we're right back to the bad way of handling birth control, gotcha.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

But let's be real here, anyone who is getting more than two abortions a year is one of those women who could greatly benefit from learning about different forms of birth control, or one of the women who is hellbent on abusing abortion as a birth control method. As I said, birth control methods used correctly will not fail often. Condoms are the most likely to fail at 15% (if I recall correctly).

I firmly stand by my belief that abortion should not be a regularly used birth control method and that abortion should not be regarded widely as a regularly used method of birth control.

BG Level

The type of chick who is tripling-down on abortions yearly is the one I want having children the least.

She can have the unlimited abortion membership for all i care.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

But she's not paying for it - you are.

If you were paying for her birth control it would be much cheaper in the long run. The reason I think that abortion should be limited is to discourage people from using it over much cheaper methods of limiting reproduction.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast