1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 40 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 10 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -1 hours, -20 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 132 of 160 FirstFirst ... 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 ... LastLast

People seem to forget that on anything you can block/parry, PLD has flat out superior mitigation to WAR.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

WAR's Inner Beast being on the GCD will always bother me.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cage Rancor
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    If Inner Beast was off GCD it would be ridiculously good. Remove the stance change cooldown on Defiance put Inner Beast off GCD and you'll be popping 300 potency attacks off GCD every 60 seconds. Crazy @_@

Edit: From the perspective off OT while dpsing.. would boost warrior dps pretty well.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Shield Bash and SHield Swipe off GCD, Inner Beast/Steel Cyclone off GCD. pls.

Anyway, I've never tanked coil on WAR before and now I'm OTing T9, so I'm on WAR for that. I know to provoke after the second/third hit of claw, but what CDs should I be popping? IB+Vengeance, IB+Foresight+Awareness?

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Most groups just let their MT take all five claws and heal through it with CDs. In ours, once phase 4 roles around, the OT is strictly in DPS-and-Divebomb-Markers mode for the rest of the fight.

Justin Bieber
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justin Bieber
    FFXIV Server
    Masamune

We let OT takes 2nd favour claw and just holmgang it up, then MT take it back after.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I see, okay. I'll do some talking and see if they want to do it that way. It's an established static that I've just recently joined, so unsure how they'll take to it. Thanks for the advice.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah we let our MT take all beaks + claws.

Only time I eat one is if I take hate with DPS.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nova Raylynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Laughing Skull

Savage T8 from BLM PoV

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    Haymaker, IB, Shield Swipe and a few others need to be off the fucking GCD. I wind up using IB more for DPS than mitigation because I hate waiting for any period of time in anticipation for a big attack when we have to push phases as fast as possible.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bokchoy Mcnuggets
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Main reason PLD is still designated MT in T9, imo, is just because it's easier to manage cooldowns. I've tried to map out a completely solo (no tank-swap) WAR CD rotation for Claws based on theory (vs experience) and it just looks painful without relying on Holmgang+Bene for one set. PLD's is perfectly tuned for it with a Rampart-Sent-Rampart-HG-Rampart-Sent skeleton.
    Seeing as Inner Beast is just as potent as Rampart:

IB / IB+Vengeance / IB / IB+Thrill / IB / IB+Vengeance.

Moreover, Storm's Path is better than Rage of Halone, especially since it also reduces damage from things like Thermionic Beam.

This is not to say that Warrior is the ideal MT or solo-tank. Bulwark is actually really strong against Bahamut's Claw and Hallowed Ground completely nullifies the Claw that you deem most dangerous.

I honestly don't think Warrior or Paladin is that much better or worse than the other when it comes to solo-tanking T9. However, I personally think that duo-tanking this fight is safer and easier. I don't get the solo-tank hype with this fight.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

yeah wtf r u smokin m8, u can IB+extra all that shit (virus/vengeance/thrill).

it IS way more braindead to ramp/sent/HG though, timing IB so it covers all the thrusts can be tricky

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I was working under the assumption that IB+something was ideal for every claw (to the point that I was considering Foresight important enough to put into a "rotation"), apparently I'm still typecasting WAR as squishy even though I "know" it's not true.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bokchoy Mcnuggets
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I was working under the assumption that IB+something was ideal for every claw (to the point that I was considering Foresight important enough to put into a "rotation"), apparently I'm still typecasting WAR as squishy even though I "know" it's not true.
    What you said might not be entirely untrue. Paladin still receives technically ~4.1% more effective Healing than Warriors do. Paladins can block while Warriors cannot. At an equal gear level, Paladins are still slightly "tankier" than Warriors.

However, Warriors still deal with bursts just as well as Paladins do, if not better. Storm's Path is better at mitigating total damage than Halone, so if you're solo-tanking something, a party with a Warrior will take less overall damage than a party with a Paladin.

Warrior to solo-tank T9 is underrated. This is based on paper, not practice, since I've always duo-tanked this fight. Still, the logic and math still holds up.

I doubt the extra damage reduction from Storm's Path (which, to be active full time, needs to be used every other combo) overcomes the reduction from shield blocks.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bokchoy Mcnuggets
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Shield Bash and SHield Swipe off GCD, Inner Beast/Steel Cyclone off GCD. pls.

Anyway, I've never tanked coil on WAR before and now I'm OTing T9, so I'm on WAR for that. I know to provoke after the second/third hit of claw, but what CDs should I be popping? IB+Vengeance, IB+Foresight+Awareness?
    I think groups that ignore the OT in this phase are completely wasteful. You have two tanks! That's two full sets of defensive cooldowns. At the very least, the OT should be taking one of the Bahamut's Claws. Maybe two.

This is the technique that we've been using. It also maximizes DPS.

• At the end of the first Divebomb phase, Paladin switches to Sword Oath. I enter Defiance and pop Infuriate + Unchained.
    • Nael lands on top of the Paladin. I immediately Provoke and I tank it with Unchained up. I start with BB combo and then SE combo.
    • Popping Vengeance puts me at 5 Wrath before Bahamut's Claw starts. Inner Beast + Vengeance + Thrill of Battle + Convalescence + Foresight + Storm's Path. It tickles.
    • Paladin goes back to Shield Oath and Provokes it back immediately after Bahamut's Claw ends. I drop Defiance and go back to DPS mode.

The main benefit is that the Paladin doesn't use any cooldowns here. No Virus necessary. The Warrior is perfectly safe with all CDs up, even in DPS accessories.

The second benefit is that, for 20 seconds, the Paladin is in Sword Oath and the Warrior is in Unchained. Neither tank has the defensive stance penalty during this period.

That way, we can do:

• Claw #1: Rampart + Bulwark
    • Claw #2: Sentinel + Virus
    • Claw #3: Warrior OT tanks it all.
    • Claw #4: Hallowed Ground
    • Claw #5: Rampart + Bulwark
    • Claw #6: Sentinel + Virus (if Nael is still alive)

New Merits
    BG Level

Warrior solo tank is easy, I usually do t9 with bard but 1 week our pld was away so I had to tank, Vengeance for first beak should last through explosion which happens during thermonic beam, which means that you can't inner beast explosion. Second beak, Inner beast and Infuriate Inner beast before explosion. Third beak, Inner beast, Thrill of battle if Infuriate is not up for explosion. If you get anymore beaks than this say to your dps to stop sucking.

Drake in heaven's fall, just use thrill of battle and some minor cd's

Claws are joke even as Warrior, just inner beast and you are good, save vengeance/thrill if one healer is dead for some reason so you can help other healer out

If you still have problems tell your healers to man up.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bokchoy Mcnuggets
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I doubt the extra damage reduction from Storm's Path (which, to be active full time, needs to be used every other combo) overcomes the reduction from shield blocks.
    1. Butcher's Block becomes unnecessary at a certain point other than damage whoring. Once aggro is solid, Path+Eye are all you need. 100% uptime for Path throughout post Heavensfall is perfectly reasonable. Worst case scenario, you have to skip Eye once or twice.

2. Shield Blocks only reduces damage done to you and it only reduces physical damage. Storm's Path reduces damage done to everyone. In this fight, where most of Nael's damage is done to the tank, you're probably right that Block + Halone > Path. However, Storm's Path helps for Thermionic Beam on the off-chance that the party screws it up and only 4-5 people take the damage from it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Why would you even need to keep Storm's Path up full time, you know when the big damage moves are coming. Thermionic Beam is a pretty tenuous justification for WAR.

If you can WAR in any fight and it doesn't reduce your healers ability to DPS by more than WAR can out-dps PLD, then use WAR. Simple.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qmo Rieter
    FFXIV Server
    Shinryu

Quote Originally Posted by bokchoykn View Post

• Claw #1: Rampart + Bulwark
    • Claw #2: Sentinel + Virus
    • Claw #3: Warrior OT tanks it all.
    • Claw #4: Hallowed Ground
    • Claw #5: Rampart + Bulwark
    • Claw #6: Sentinel + Virus (if Nael is still alive)
    Is this during phase one, and the 3rd claw is the one after the double meteor streams?
    Or are you referring to a later phase?