1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 8 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 23 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 10 hours, 8 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Not even remotely close to worth it. Before even considering the raw HP loss, you're losing way too much Parry for how little you gain in block strength. Assuming a block rate of 28% with Allagan/Zenith, the increase in block strength from 28% to 30% is 0.5% mitigation. The 100 Parry is worth ~7.6% parrying rate, which is a loss of 1.8% mitigation (slightly less because your parry strength will rise because of the extra STR but still not enough to come close to outweighing the parrying rate lost).

Fun for a little extra DPS in dungeons where you're not pulling tons of stuff at once, but otherwise it's hugely detrimental to your survivability.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Never saw 28% with the VIT accessories, usually around 19-22%. So doing 30% on block/parry seemed really nice to me. Just did a Brayflox DF and didn't even really come close to dieing. I didn't try the 1st pull all the way to the bridge as it was DF. But i did pull the 3 gob packs after the 2nd boss and all the gobs just before the last boss and with normal CD rotation wasn't really taking much at all. Healer even got in a couple Holy's with just Rampart on.

I did the Brayflox DF with the 2nd option, so I still had 496 Parry while using all the STR accessories.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Allagan and Zenith have the same stats, the block strength on both should be 27%-28% depending on whether you have the STR party buff (or a couple points in STR instead of VIT). 19%-22% would be Onion Shield territory.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Allagan and Zenith are the only 2 shields I have. And all my leveling stats are allocated into VIT. <.<;

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

There's no way to block for 22% with an Allagan Round Shield (or any shield with over 130 block strength).

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Than the floating text on my screen lies to me.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

I mean, it's literally impossible. Either you can't read and are misinterpreting parry procs as shield blocks, or your game display is fucked and you should reinstall everything. I'm inclined to think it's the former though.

You can clearly see I blocked for 27% with ARS and parried the next hit for 23%.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Just double checked in a Halatali, I was blocking upwards to 27%, it's must be level based. Because I was going off my block rate on Caduceus I was doing this morning, I assumed it was the same everywhere. My Parry/Block in VIT set is 23/27 in STR set it's 28/30 though. Still a 5% increase in parry and a 3% increase in in block. The damage increase even with Shield Oath is definitely noticeable just eyeballing though. In my opinion, though. If you are doing something where you don't need the extra HP, it seems worth the swap up to STR accessories. It's also mindlessly easy to keep the enmity at the lowest gauge possible with multiple mobs with the extra STR.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

You would have been blocking for 27%-28% in Coil. The only way to block for less with ARS/HSZ would be to level sync down and have the stats on the shield reduced. I have no idea how your parry strength increased by nearly double what your block strength did, because that flies in the face of the established theory that they both benefit from STR by the same amount.

If you're goofing around in a dungeon then do whatever you want, but in any instance that matters you're doing yourself and your party a disservice by wearing all that STR gear. It's already mindlessly easy to hold hate on groups anyway.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I know the Heavy Wolfram Helm was mentioned earlier, but not much attention was given it. I was looking at melding options, and with the need for ACC in Coil, it seems to me that with HQ & appropriate melding it would surpass Noct, being the second BiS after the heavy allagan. Would you guys agree, or do the dps stats push the Noct higher?

Edit: I know it's a huge gold sink, but if I'm right, it's also a very long-term upgrade for people starting Coil.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

ilvl is king, so no.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Except that it is likely the best "stop-gap" until you get HA.

And technically ACC to cap is king, then ilvl (which is a fancy way of saying VIT)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'd take 95% acc for higher ilvl in a heartbeat. And no, there's no way i90 melded is going to beat i100 because you can't meld more str/vit.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Is 3 STR and 4 VIT really worth 15 Parry and 21 ACC?

Edit: For that matter, is 6 STR and 8 VIT worth 15 Parry and 21 ACC? (ilv 110)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

If you're asking "Is more VIT worth it?" then you haven't stepped foot into Turn5 much less Coil2 yet. Go do raid content so you can understand why max HP is the most valuable stat on PLD. There's DPS checks to kill things in time, and there's also gear checks for tank that will just one-shot you if you don't pass it.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post

You should never be below acc cap. If you can switch gear around that gets you to the cap then do that. Priority in my eyes goes: Acc(until cap)> VIT/STR> parry> crit/deter>skill speed.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post

The short answer is yes. 8 vit is like 120ish HP or so. iirc it's like 1:16 VIT to HP ratio

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I use melded Wolfram because buying Noct Head is pointless until you've spent your soldiery on literally everything else you may ever need. HA drops in T6 which even PUGs can clear. It's gonna be another 4-6 weeks before people max out on soldiery gear and 4-6 weeks of using a better stop gap to get to ACC cap over Allagan Helm is the better choice, so yes.

If you are full HA / Noct besides helm then whatever, go buy noct circlet you lucky duck.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Good enough stats for turn 6+ ?

This is with HQ Finger Sandwich

[IMG][/IMG]

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Thats plenty, Turn6 is not a big tank check.

I bought Noct helm this week. Doing the left side first with my sol for STR+VIT. I went Body > Hands > legs > Head and will get feet next. Nothing on the right side is game breaking for PLD (yes ring is Bis but its not making or breaking any fight) so I'm gonna take the STR addition to DPS until I get some HA drops.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast