♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Oh, so you have to unlock it, nice to know. Ty for the help. The more people I can get into this, the better, that and I always tell them I prefer this over MH, so hopefully they'll see where I'm coming from now.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

going to try out the demo since the praises seem to be high here. i kind of ignored it before as i'm not much on handhelds these days. ps4 doe.

didn't care much for MH, i assume that won't effect terribly much?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Even if you're not a fan of MH, you might find something to enjoy depending on why you didn't enjoy MH.
    Its hard to say without knowing what it was that turned you off.

If it was the pace of combat, or the controls or anything like that... Toukiden is certainly different in those areas and more accessible. Worst thing that can happen is you don't like it. Since its a demo, that won't cost you anything but a bit of time. May as well try it and decide for yourself!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

#1 thing that turned me off was the pace of combat. felt pretty slow and often somewhat unresponsive. i honestly couldn't get into it because of that. glad to hear that it's different!

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Monster Hunter slow and unresponsive? I would love know how you came to that feeling unless you were using a Great Sword without ever sheathing it.

I gave the demo a spin and while the new weapon types are pretty entertaining, the gameplay just feels so thin after going thru all the options available in 4U. I'll probably end up giving the game a spin down the line, but sharing a release week with Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity I'm just probably not going to want to devote time to the game right now.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

admittedly, I was playing it on the Wii on a suggestion from a friend whom I was trying it with. I didn't get terribly much into it, I tried out only a few weapons. Just didn't feel like something I was going to enjoy.

I've meant to go back and give it another go, but I never did. I know there's more to it than I experienced, just didn't seem too friendly to someone that had never played an entry in the series before. I got destroyed quite often, and the weapons I used didn't feel very intuitive. I think I was just bad, honestly. I didn't give myself enough time with it.

Maybe I'll do that while I wait for this to release! If the demo goes over well.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Nep View Post
    admittedly, I was playing it on the Wii on a suggestion from a friend whom I was trying it with. I didn't get terribly much into it, I tried out only a few weapons. Just didn't feel like something I was going to enjoy.

I've meant to go back and give it another go, but I never did. I know there's more to it than I experienced, just didn't seem too friendly to someone that had never played an entry in the series before. I got destroyed quite often, and the weapons I used didn't feel very intuitive. I think I was just bad, honestly. I didn't give myself enough time with it.

Maybe I'll do that while I wait for this to release! If the demo goes over well.
    Toukiden is definitely speedier than MH and certainly responsive. Krandor's crazy if he thinks MH isn't slow (it is). Anyone can attest to that and its not just great sword.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Agree to disagree, I don't find the game slow at all. It's start/stop at times as you position or react to monster animations, but as someone who plays tons of twitch based games (fighting/DMC style/etc), I've never found the game slow unless you're fighting big dumb shit like Mohran or Fatalis.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Nah.

Slow and methodical is what MH is compared to Toukiden being more of a faster-paced and more twitchy type game.
    No agree to disagree here 'cause them's simply the facts. (Sorry but I am just not the type to agree to something that is demonstrably false just to keep the peace)

Monster Hunter
    Spoiler: show

Toukiden
    Spoiler: show

There's a world of difference and I'm not just talking attack speed. Look at the way the characters move and so on... MH is like SFV compared to SF3 when looking at Toukiden. Not necessarily a bad thing but you can't deny that its a fact.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You obviously have your bias that Toukiden and its mash fest is superior to MH, so I'll just let you go on with that feeling. I think the game has it's virtues, but whether complete lack of gameplay depth in the place of a faster pace is a better thing is up to the individual. But I'm not motivated enough to get into an argument with you about this any further, so I'll just leave this confrontational post here and move along.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Nah, its nothing to do with bias on my end. Just look at the videos I posted above. If you want to pretend there's not a large difference in speed then its clear that its your bias that's causing some sort of issue. You can see a huge difference between the games. Again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Its just fact.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ok I'll jump back in for a second because you added those videos while I was typing.

You're using GUNLANCE for a comparison, which is one of the slowest weapons in the game. Just watching for a minute he's also bad at that weapon, which isn't helping matters.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

It doesn't even matter WHAT weapon he's using. Its not the speed of the swings that I'm talking about. Its the overall pace of the game.
    You can look at any weapon you want and sure the toothpicks swing faster (though the toothpicks in Toukiden are faster still) but you still move slower, most of the monster attacks are still slower to compensate that much of the time you are locked into your swing animations longer. They tend to have longer tells and so on. Its just a slower game in general is what I'm saying.

Here, look at all the weapons in 3. Sure, some of them swing at a decent speed but lets talk about recovery after most attacks or when you want to block with your lance (sure, there's some tricks and exceptions). Lets talk about walk speeds with your weapons drawn. Lets talk about the roll animation speed. Lets talk about knockdown recovery speed (does MH even have quickrise like Toukiden?) and so on.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

well this argument has answered every question I could've possibly had, excellent.

Clearly I am a huge fan of Monster Hunter... no secret. I did grab Toukiden when it released and enjoyed it at first, put about 30 straight hours into it, clearing 66 missions, making it about halfway through Chaper 4 and then just ... moved on. My thing was it never felt rewarding in the same way that MH did/does. I didn't feel that rush going up against bosses ever. I didn't feel like it was something I could get better at? It felt like something I could grind better mitama, better gear, but the weapons I used were learned. I wasn't going to get... better at them? I don't know if that makes any sense and I am not trying to say it isn't a good game at all. There were things I really really liked about it. The armors, the weapons (I loved my Bows) and the supporting cast were all great. I played a bit of the demo tonight and will likely play more this weekend too, I just don't know that I need to pick this one up at launch.

Now if God Eater 2 Rage Burst gets localized... maybe.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

While you say that, I highly doubt you had any of the weapons mastered in 30 hours. Especially considering that unlike MH, the mitamas change your play-style via their boosts. For weapons in MH, there's generally one way to play them. For the weapons in Toukiden, the least dynamic weapon type (Chain and Sickle) has no less than 3 different ways to play it.

When you have stuff like auto precision hits on running strikes and certain weapons with dash cancels and then other boosts like fervor that guarantee stamina recovery on a precision hit or heroes' ralley that lower cooldowns on precision hit... and there being pretty much no way you experienced all that and having tried the various weapon types in 30 hours, I'd say that was a premature assessment.

Also, the funny thing is that everyone I see that says stuff like that without fail has relied on Nagi as a crutch as soon as they got her and I don't even know a single one of them to have completed missions like "A Chance of Spiders" or "Serpent Symphony". To each their own, I guess, but I find that most people are simply talking out of their ass when comparing the two. Likely because MH is more popular.

Either way, the endless boss rush is gonna be the real test of skill in Kiwami and I'm pumped for it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I'm kind of sold by the hand to hand weapons, holy shit those are fun. Pop a buff and fucking lay into a boss with special. The bosses are a lot of fun and the pace is more to my liking, too. I feel a bit clumsy but that's more being new, I guess. I'll get the hang of it as I go.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Gauntlets are fun, especially when you have a good flurry going.
    Also the perfect companion weapon (with ATK Mitama) to my CnS LCK build. Love 'em.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Can you carry over your save data/character from Toukiden to the Kiwami demo or full game?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I believe you can transfer from the previous version or the demo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast