+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Ebola Outbreak     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Oh you mean like Yersinia pestis? Or Polio?

Or.... OBESITY?

People aren't worried because Ebola has the potential for mass extinction. They're worried because they don't want massive numbers of people to die.

Keep on truckin', Scrooge.
    Obesity, heart disease, smoking, etc. You are about a million times more likely to die from a car wreck than Ebola.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Dudes got a point. There are a number of flesh eating bacteria that I am more concerned about then this right now. If it ever got out of hand I'm confident in the worlds capabilities to mitigate the damage once its a sufficient threat to the world.

For now, I'm contempt to let those Africans deal with it. Serves them right, can't even get AIDs under control, and last I checked they're all assholes any ways for how they treat the gay situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Dudes got a point. There are a number of flesh eating bacteria that I am more concerned about then this right now. If it ever got out of hand I'm confident in the worlds capabilities to mitigate the damage once its a sufficient threat to the world.

For now, I'm contempt to let those Africans deal with it. Serves them right, can't even get AIDs under control, and last I checked they're all assholes any ways for how they treat the gay situation.
    The bold brought to you by religion (namely the Catholic church). Africans were (and still are) extremely uneducated compared to a lot of the world, and naturally that's where religious groups throw all their attention, because the uneducated are the most likely to join the cult.

Also, the Freudian usage of "contempt" is hilarious.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

good lord, what did those african people do to yall? i know we're takin da white wominz and all, but damn

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Dudes got a point. There are a number of flesh eating bacteria that I am more concerned about then this right now.
    Oh, you mean like the flesh-eating bacteria already living on your skin?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Before ya'll go all mazmaz on me, it was a joke. It's Ebola, we shoulda been all over it with quarantine the second we knew what it was. When it comes to plagues I have no issue if Murika foots the bill to help eradicate it from a 3rd world country; that shit is too dangerous to let poor people deal with it the way poor people do.

Oh, you mean like the flesh-eating bacteria already living on your skin?
    Yes, which means it's already in the homeland! Ebola is still an ocean away.

BG Level

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a legit concern of mine. But, given that airplane travel is easy and it has a relatively short incubation period I wouldn't turn a blind eye. My concern is really more for the people of Africa.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Uh oh, some one woke up AID's big brother, and he's not very happy about it.

Going by it's history though, the last 'outbreak' was 2yrs ago, and major ones(about 300+ deaths) have only happened about 3 times(that I know of). They should receive some outside help, the virus seemingly hasn't been able to wreck serious havok that is potentially able to do. I think they will be ok.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Wow, way to take what I said completely out of context for your own sarcastic comments.

My point is exactly that AIDS is more important, and a ton of other things, but we freak out about Ebola because it could spread to us. We don't care about AIDS anymore because we have condoms and we have drugs, but Africa has to deal with situations that makes distribution near impossible. And it's not just religion, but corruption, conflicts, poverty, and many other factors.

So take your condescension and shove it up your ass.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Don't get me wrong. This isn't a legit concern of mine. But, given that airplane travel is easy and it has a relatively short incubation period I wouldn't turn a blind eye. My concern is really more for the people of Africa.
    If you are concerned about Africa there are about a million more pressing concerns than Ebola.

(Not that I am saying you aren't concern because you are worried about Ebola, but this thread started with the comment that the media was ignoring a problem. If we were focusing on real problems every headline should be about AIDS and poverty and corruption and the potential for genocide that litter Africa mostly caused by our history of colonialism.)

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

You're trying way too hard. Just so you know, you're the only person who gives a damn in the thread. Just sayin.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

You're trying way too hard. Just so you know, you're the only person who gives a damn in the thread. Just sayin.
    Did you just pull a "try hard" in real life?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

is this real life? is this just fantasy?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    is this real life? is this just fantasy?
    I will do a fandango for you, baby.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

wo u talkin shit Salodin?!

lol people's superficial concerns about Africa's safety always gives the warm n' fuzzy feelings

Everyone I've talked to about this story immediately refers to Hollywood-tier death scenes and how scary it would be to see people bleeding out their eyes and shit.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    lol people's superficial concerns about Africa's safety always gives the warm n' fuzzy feelings

Everyone I've talked to about this story immediately refers to Hollywood-tier death scenes and how scary it would be to see people bleeding out their eyes and shit.
    Yes, because if you genuinely feel concern you have to donate the kidneys and your life savings or it's superficial.

My bad lol I'm venting more about the randoms I've brought it up to recently. Stories about Africa are usually met with pretty lukewarm reception, but whenever Ebola is brought up, people get excited because of it's visual effect and fear of it hopping on a plane and endangering their lives.

With so much shit going down in Africa, like ringthree pointed out, it's pretty depressing to see the metric ton of fuckery being ignored that makes Ebola look like a joke.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    World Health Organization - 'neither an epidemic, nor unprecedented'
    World Health Organization - 'Drastic action' needed
    http://media0.giphy.com/media/ewqRK1xUR8yDS/giphy.gif
    Nearly 400 people have died in the outbreak which started in Guinea and has spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone and Liberia.

It is the largest outbreak in terms of cases, deaths and geographical spread.

The WHO said it was "gravely concerned" and there was potential for "further international spread".

The outbreak started four months ago and is continuing to spread.

So far there have been more than 600 cases and around 60% of those infected with the virus have died.

Ebola, a haemorrhagic fever, has no cure and is spread by contact with the fluids of infected people or animals, such as urine, sweat and blood.

Most of the deaths have been centred in the southern Guekedou region of Guinea.

The WHO has sent 150 experts to the region to help prevent the spread of the virus but admits " there has been significant increase in the number of daily reported cases and deaths".

Dr Luis Sambo, the WHO's regional director for Africa, said: "This is no longer a country-specific outbreak, but a sub-regional crisis that requires firm action.

"WHO is gravely concerned of the on-going cross-border transmission into neighbouring countries as well as the potential for further international spread.

"There is an urgent need to intensify response efforts...this is the only way that the outbreak will be effectively addressed."

The charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) has already warned that the Ebola outbreak is out of control.

It says the epidemic will spread further unless there is a stronger international response.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28033027

Well, I feel better knowing Big Boss is keeping an eye on this at least.