1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Diablo Fight: what's so hard about damn doors? (possible spoilers)

I run Lost City as a part of my tome farming routine, but I can't even begin to describe how many times we get to Diablo and people REFUSE to open doors or how some groups will constantly wipe to the second Ruinous Omen.

The two most common excuses I see are:

-"I'm not good at doors..." (wtf does this even mean?)
    -"It's not my job. I need to heal/nuke/ranged DPS." (Orly?)

So let me explain how stupidly simple the doors work because if this lolMNK can figure out how to open the doors correctly anyone can open the doors:

When you start the Diablo Fight, the doors will open and reveal what they are. Basically there are four matching symbols/colors:

Blue -Gobbue
    Green -Butterfly
    Red -Ahriman
    Yellow -Lion

After a short while, they doors will close and the symbols will no longer be visible. So either memorize the matching doors locations from each other or mark them. I would recommend marking them like this as an example:

1 AND 2 = the two red doors (1 and 2 represent a pair because we can't mark things with the same marker, ie can't mark doors as 1 and 1, 2 and 2, etc)

or

Square AND Triangle = the two blue doors

or

1 and 2 = red/ahriman
    Chains 1 and 2 = yellow/lion door

So let's go with the first example. If the blue gobbue door is marked as "1", you open it after the fight starts and the doors are all closed then find where the door marked "2" is at. Once its location is established, go back to nuking, healing moarly, DPSing harder or whatever.

At this point keep an eye on two things: The location of the second door that MATCHES the first door as it should be marked with a "2" and Diablo himself.
    A message will flash across the screen which is the first warning that Ruinous Omen is coming and Diablo, like Acheron in CT, will take the center of the platform and start casting Ruinous Omen. This is your cue to run your ass or get to closer to door marked "2".

Timing is everything!! If you open the door to the void too soon, you will be teleported to early and eat Ruinous Omen. If you open the door too late, then you're just hit with Ruinous Omen. And just so you know, most well geared players can survive the first Ruinious Omen, but after that you'll notice there are 2 or 4 stacks (can't remember exactly) on you and if you get hit with Ruinous Omen again it's pretty much a guaranteed wipe.

When Ruinous Omen hits about 45/50% open the second matching door marked with "2". If timed correctly, it will teleport you and your group across the platform to another door/portal bypassing Ruinous Omen for 0 damage. After that, go back to doing whatever but make sure to keep an eye on the door again and basically rinse and repeat.

Hopefully this makes some sense. Please leave comments or thoughts if I've missed anything helpful or if you have any tips.

Good luck!

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

When I volunteer to do this solo (and because the first few times I did this I didn't know you could mark the DOOR itself), I would look around for Red Green-or-Yellow and Blue, and mark one of each door with A B C waymarks. I would memorize the missing door pair (for this example let's say Green butterfly).

For first set I'd open one of the unmarked doors (or to get it out of the way, Green in the example). Then for Omen I just open the matching door. From then on I open an unmarked door and can go to a marked door by color.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I mark two matching doors with waymarks at the start (because tanking is boring and easy, and I also did not know you could mark them with your standard markers). ALL the doors show their icons again once you open two matching doors, and I take this time to look for, and waymark, two new doors.

Important note: If you mess up and open a non-matching door, it will cause ALL doors to close. You're pretty much guaranteed to eat Ruinous Omen at this point, since you'd have to run back and open door #1. When we first tried this, we just tried to open doors willy-nilly, and it just kept causing everyone else's door to close.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

My group tends to just pick a color and memorize it, then we take turns with who opens what and when. Healer gets Blue, Ranged gets Red, etc.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I pair 1,2,3 markers with 1,2,3+chain markers

Also, 50% through Ominous Ruin cast is cutting it close. I'd recommend 30%

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsu Kiyome
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I tell every non-tank to pick a number (1, 2, or 3) and pick a color (Red, Blue, or Green).

It's your job at the start of the fight (while the tank pulls and establishes hate) to match your Color and Number. So if you chose Blue and 1, you mark both Blue doors as 1 and Chain-1. Red & 2? Mark both Red doors 2 and Chain-2. And obviously, you just open the doors in the order they go in.

If people don't pick a number and color, I simply won't step into the boss fight until you do and you'll have to 3 man it. Good luck with that.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

You must have a fair amount of faith in your fellow man. If there's something I can handle by myself, I try to do it that way.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You can also see the door markings when you do the Voidwalk(from door to door under the stage),so you only have to memorize the first set of doors

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

If there's anything patch 2.2 has taught me--whether it's grand fall targeting, atma gathering, quick explorations, or mirror farming--it is that Thou Shalt Leave It To Based R.N. Jesus. When the boss starts his super move, I pick the second door at random and hope today's the day old Gil finally catches a break.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Very similar to Tsu, I just have another dps mark a set of doors. I'll tell them to mark gobbue 3&4, I'll do my butterfly 1&2 and I know the last 2 are pairs anyway so doesn't matter. I let them know I'm the only one who will hit them, because god knows as soon as they see omen they pop the doors asap and don't wait

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    When I volunteer to do this solo
    Which is what I do every time I'm running on heal/DPS. 1-5 -> Chain1-3. Not hard to mark 6 doors before they disappear, which leaves the remaining two the last pair with the way I mark things.

As for timing I always hit the door when the castbar on focus-target (max scale) reaches the R in Ruinous Omen, which has yet to fail me.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by alex064 View Post
    You can also see the door markings when you do the Voidwalk(from door to door under the stage),so you only have to memorize the first set of doors
    ^^^^

When I do it I only find one set and mark them (1,2). Then during voidwalk I find another set and mark them.

I find this to be the best way because 1. I am not in a panic to try and mark/memorize everything all at once. 2. I don't have to rely on anyone else. 3. Idiots won't read the marks wrong and open doors they aren't supposed to open. (I've had this happen because of the chain symbols etc.)

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Honestly didn't know it was during voidwalk. I remember seeing other door colors in the first few attempts but didn't the next day and thought I just had to memorize them all forever. This makes it so much easier.

Old Merits
    BG Level

If you're really having trouble, you can make the first two sets of doors quite easy, too - check the two doors next to the path to the arena, open any door that matches one of them, then just open the remaining one once you have to. Since they're next to the path, there's no need for markers due to them being easy enough to remember. By the third pair, there shouldn't be enough doors left to make the position of the matching one difficult to recreate.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

What I have people do is have the other three (I'm tank) mark a color pair, and leave the last pair unmarked. It's the simplest way to have everyone on the same page.

Red Door = 1 & 2 Ignore Markers
    Blue Door = 1 & 2 Chain Markers
    Green Door = 1 & 2 Target Markers

You'll run into people that get confused with 3 & 4 Target Marks, lol.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Possible spoilers? Is BG reddit now? I don't think anyone here is reddit-autistic enough to care, lol.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Uryuu View Post
    Possible spoilers? Is BG reddit now? I don't think anyone here is reddit-autistic enough to care, lol.
    Haha...yeah, just wanted to be sensitive to the old school gamers who prefer to learn through mistakes and observation.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    What I have people do is have the other three (I'm tank) mark a color pair, and leave the last pair unmarked. It's the simplest way to have everyone on the same page.
    What I do as a tank is let everyone else worry about doors...

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by blowfin View Post
    What I do as a tank is let everyone else worry about doors...
    It's best that you know what's going on as well. While tanking I've been able to direct people to incorrectly marked doors as well, saving ourselves from a wipe.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    It's best that you know what's going on as well. While tanking I've been able to direct people to incorrectly marked doors as well, saving ourselves from a wipe.
    I do, JP DF is typically solid enough to not have any issues with it though.