+ Reply to Thread
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Trying to identify an anime (from memory)

I used to watch this anime in Cantonese back in the 90s, I think it was an late 80s/early 90s anime.

Very vague description, but I also recalled it to be hilarious. I'm unsure of it was popular enough to remain in today's anime.

Modern setting (Japan? 90s anyway)
    Main char has 80s style hair, black. Similar to http://yuyuhakusho.wikia.com/wiki/Kazuma_Kuwabara
    A minor pervert (or whatever was cut/changed from the JP version; possibly a major one)
    Has a regular/female main char whom he always makes perv remarks on (and gets smacked for it as a result)
    Solves crimes... I think? I don't recall him being a police, but I recall the use of guns
    It probably is more of a slice of life anime than anything significant; no aliens, mechas, or anything :: but I didn't watch that many episodes either
    It's rather realistically drawn; similar to Slam Dunk, things only look deformed for comedy purposes

I realise it's probably a very vague/general description, but I can't think of anything else to go on. I'm sure it's actually anime as there's no way China could produce such things.

Fire away!

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Random stab in the dark... was it City Hunter?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Lupin III also fits the description, except for the "realistically drawn part". It's not terribly unrealistic I suppose, but not close to City Hunter either lol.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

City Hunter indeed it is! Nice detective work. :D -- I remember him wearing red; so I should've mentioned it but either way my initial memories helped!

Yeh Silenka I saw Lupin III while going through my searches and I instantly knew it wasn't because none of the faces looked familiar.

I recalled it being hilarious; and oddly enough going by the wikipedia description of:

One day, Hideyuki is murdered, and Ryô must take care of his sister, Kaori, a tomboy who becomes his new partner in the process. However, Kaori is very susceptible and jealous, often hitting Ryô with a giant hammer when he does something perverted.
    was spot on; as it was a very common anime trope. I didn't know it was his sister though. But I was only 8 or so when I watched it.

Lets track it down.

EDIT: I was a bit off on the hair... it looks nothing like Kurabara's lol ... but i knew it was black!!!!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

was scratching my head on that one. was sitting here going pretty sure its city hunter but no one got kuwabara hair in that. and for the record kuwabara is still a fucking badass.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Murdock Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Lupin III also fits the description, except for the "realistically drawn part". It's not terribly unrealistic I suppose, but not close to City Hunter either lol.
    This was going to be my guess.

Old Merits
    BG Level

God, I love City Hunter. The Anime is great, but it was toned down quite a bit in comparison to the Manga; at least I don't recall any erections being used to actually advance the plot. Sounds stupid, but the Manga is hilarious, worth a read. Too bad they only released the first ten volumes here.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    City Hunter indeed it is! Nice detective work. :D
    Glad my weeaboo powers came in handy.