1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 33 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 26 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 33 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 26 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: FFXIV Gardening     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Eh, it's also about the adventure. There's like a billion ways to get to onions that also crossbreed back into onions (and Jute/Glaze/Broombrush are all being used for other stuff anyways). It's just something I look forward to every morning. Even though I'm a greedy asshole and keep thinking that 3 garden plots (1 personal, 2 FC) isn't ever enough.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Just curious; why a looping gif of you running into a tree branch?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Did some alex map north of Bluefog, tried to dodge some AoE and got stuck on a branch and got annoyed. After finishing the map I looked around for the branch again.

Maybe it's a commentary on how content stagnation makes it seem like you're just running in place. That we're all just wasting our time doing nothing of value from patch to patch. Or maybe I just named it "the treadmill branch" because I'm weird.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

if theres no brunch there, that lala would pop out of your screen

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Gardening...is an adventure?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Maybe it's a commentary on how content stagnation makes it seem like you're just running in place. That we're all just wasting our time doing nothing of value from patch to patch.
    fuk man i dint come here to introspect

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

of course the gardening thread produces the most zen thoughts of the forum

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Okay, so I have a house and am new to the gardening thing. I've successfully started crossbreeding stuff to work towards onions for my chocobo, but my question is about changing the gardening plot over to a new desired harvest. Currently I'm halfway finished harvesting jute seeds (almond x star anise) and my garden looks like~

[empty][star anise][empty]
    [star anise]<SCARY>[star anise]
    [empty][star anise][empty]

Following Spider-Dan's post ( http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/120...=1#post6214862 ), I'll be doing Chamomile x Krakka for Curiel root seeds. My question pertains to when I should plant that first seed. If I harvest all of the star anise plants to clear the field, I'm starting fresh, and my first plant won't yield seeds because it won't be next to anything. But if I leave one of the ready to harvest star anise plants, and plant krakka seeds next to it, it looks like I'll get eggplant knight seeds from that krakka root, or I can't figure out how to read these charts. Is there any con to doing this? I want to leave the one star anise, ready to harvest, and plant a krakka seed next to it, then pluck out the star anise plant, and continue planting Chamomile x Krakka root seeds until I loop back. This shouldnt hurt anything right? I won't be missing out on Curiel root seeds, because if I emptied the garden before planting anything, that first plant wouldn't cross with anything anyway... right? Halp.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Nirokun! View Post
    I want to leave the one star anise, ready to harvest, and plant a krakka seed next to it, then pluck out the star anise plant, and continue planting Chamomile x Krakka root seeds until I loop back. This shouldnt hurt anything right? I won't be missing out on Curiel root seeds, because if I emptied the garden before planting anything, that first plant wouldn't cross with anything anyway... right? Halp.
    That sounds fine. I do this with other plants but in a 4/4 harvest-replant rotation, don't remember what I started with (something/something -> something/almonds -> krakka/almonds).

If you're anal about it with a fresh bed you can plant all 8 and then remove the first one and replant it so it has a cross chance.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Nirokun! View Post
    I want to leave the one star anise, ready to harvest, and plant a krakka seed next to it, then pluck out the star anise plant, and continue planting Chamomile x Krakka root seeds until I loop back. This shouldnt hurt anything right? I won't be missing out on Curiel root seeds, because if I emptied the garden before planting anything, that first plant wouldn't cross with anything anyway... right?
    The way I deal with the no cross on first seed is to plant the cheaper seed first with the cheapest soil (doesn't matter which), finish planting all the way around, then pull up the first seed (it is discarded) and replant it with grade 3 Thanalan. In your case:

- Chamomile with any soil
    - Krakka, Chamomile, Krakka, etc. with grade 3 Thanalan
    - when garden is full, pull up first Chamomile and replant another Chamomile there using grade 3 Thanalan

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I did the plant => rip out and re-plant method, considering the possible gain is almost 100k. Ty

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Hi guys what soil do I use to plant minions? Do I plant other seeds next to these minion seeds? Will that make more seeds? Thanks for reading.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

for minions, depending what plant is next to them, grade 3 thanalan will still allow you to get cross seeds, thus ripping some profit while trying to get a minion

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I find this site helpful http://www.ffxivgardening.com/

If you're just planting minions, the grade 3 thanalan won't do anything for you but as mentioned if you plant them next to things like mandrake using thanalan soil, you have a chance of getting some more seeds.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Eh, it's also about the adventure. There's like a billion ways to get to onions that also crossbreed back into onions (and Jute/Glaze/Broombrush are all being used for other stuff anyways). It's just something I look forward to every morning. Even though I'm a greedy asshole and keep thinking that 3 garden plots (1 personal, 2 FC) isn't ever enough.
    Got an alt you can toss into my FC? I got 2 unused garden plots, I've lost the will to garden T_T

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I remember reading that when planting a new patch of 8 in order for all 8 plants to cross breed and produce seeds you should pull up the first plant you put down and replace it once all 7 others are planted. I do this but the replacement plant still doesn't produce a seed. Where am I going wrong? Are you meant to wait an hour or so before replacing it?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ada Rusheart
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've been in the habit of harvesting one of the seed types first, then replanting, then harvesting the other etc. Maximise potential crosses.

No waiting time is needed to my knowledge.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I think he was talking about when you actually start a new plot 100% fresh, in which case, circle planting will get you what you need, assuming it's just a loop.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah I was talking fresh plot. I get the issue after planting and harvesting 8 or 16 onions when I go back to making onion seeds.

I always circle plant yet the replaced crop (first/ninth plant) never crosses when I harvest it.