I've been playing XIV a little again and I've had the same problem happen with two different keyboards.

I'll be playing with everything working fine, then things get wacky. Hitting ESC will pop up my windows menu, instead of closing out of my in-game pop up window; and I can no longer type, as letters do not populate the chat input field.

I can still use WASD & hotkeys for movement, battle, and whatnot, but I cannot type. Once the problem starts, I can't type outside of the game either unless I restart.

I thought it was just an old keyboard acting up, so I got a new Gigabyte mechanical one set up yesterday, only to have the same problem occur about an hour in.

So multiple keyboards acting the same way, and i've tried multiple different USB 2.0 powered ports, and its the same.

I was going to try playing a different game tonight to see if it still happens, but the fact that the issues persist outside of XIV has me sceptical that its game related.

I did notice last night that the '/' and numbers did show up in chat if I used the number pad, further confusing me.

Any thoughts/insight appreciated.