+ Reply to Thread
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Android phone to iPhone ...

This may have been asked already (a quick search did not find anything recent), but I am thinking of switching from an Android phone (Galaxy S, yes I am quite a few generations behind but I love my phone lol) to perhaps an iPhone, most likely not the latest model because I just can't justify spending $600 on a phone.

My question is - can I transfer all my data between phones? I know you can transfer contacts and photos, but I'm talking about all data. Text messages, application data (including my high scores, don't judge me those shits were a bitch to get and I don't want to lose them), passwords, etc. Can all of that transfer? Honestly the thought of switching devices and having to manually get all of these things again is incredibly daunting, to say the least.

I've done some googling but a lot of that seems to just talk about transferring your contacts which is fucking the easiest thing to transfer and doesn't answer my question. Thanks for any help you guys can give, BG is always a shitload more helpful than a google search anyway.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Applications along with high scores are probably a no go unless it's a game like Candy Crush that lets you swap between mobile and facebook and such. I'm pretty sure when I went from my IPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3 that Best Buy was able to move my text messages over.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Application data is almost guaranteed to be no dice where games and the like are concerned. Texts are also a no go, because as far as I'm aware Apple doesn't offer a way to migrate SMS/MMS from other platforms to iOS.

Some unique stuff like passwords might get remembered if you use a browser like Chrome that you can sign into and have stuff saved cross-platform, but otherwise you'll be starting from scratch.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Fuccccck that.

What about Android to Android? Any different? My boyfriend is a huge Apple fanboy and has begged me to get an iPhone so he can communicate with me via text with his Macbook but I've had no issues with Android and wouldn't be opposed to getting another.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Depends on the manufacturer. I know HTC has a migration tool that would let you grab your texts/MMS (although I think the tool only works on devices running 2.2 and up?) and potentially more depending on what version of Android the old phone is running. I *think* the Moto X has something similar, beyond that I'm not sure if other manufacturers have anything to help you. Any game that uses Google's Game cloud or whatever the hell it's called (Play Room?) should have your high scores and progress saved, but I'm not sure which ones do and which ones don't.

I'm sure there are apps on the App Store that would push SMS/MMS to his Mac that don't involve iMessage.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I'm sure there are apps on the App Store that would push SMS/MMS to his Mac that don't involve iMessage.
    I would probably be more content to look into this, I haven't had any issues with Android. Now I'm all conflicted though, not even sure if I want a new phone now.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

he can connect to google talk using ichat and send you messages that way

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Using titanium backup you can grab pretty much anything you want, if you feel like putting in the effort to get root which is variable per device.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

after selling phones for 8+ years, ive learned one major thing, iphone to android, you are ok, android to iphone, you will go back in weeks

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Well I went to the cell phone store (T-Mobile) to switch tonight but after seeing the prices of new phones this is basically a moot question at this point. I can't afford anything, not even the phones that came out two years ago. Fuck, guess I'm stuck with Sprint. :/

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pabsteh Hirayama
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Why not just get an unlocked Moto G. It's a more then decent phone at an awesome price (the Verizon prepaid one is $99). Hell even the Moto X is under $400 for a 16gb model on the motomaker site.