+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Considering the Military?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

The only time I got that kind of gig was when I was pregnant and I was like two months to getting out anyway.

And it wasn't that I didn't want to do anything, they just didn't know what to do with me.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This image made me laugh so fucking hard at work. Thanks for that.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

How you gonna do me like that abandon :-/

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

Totally relevant, catched this as I was aimlessly walking through Nagoya two weeks ago:

Spoiler: show

As for topic, I vote for stay abroad (Military/Teacher). I didn't really travel aside from short seaside holidays until I was 29. Since then I made some of the best experiences in my life and value that so much higher than everything I've done during my 20s. So if you have the means and nothing is really holding you back, go for it.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Was he a DRG? I had a friend in AF that did the same shit lol.
    He was a WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Depends what you do in the air force I guess?

Cousin has been in for 17 years, and finally just landed a cushy do nothing gig lol
    Ya he was a weather guy. He actually did have to go to iraq, which I teased him about. (Said he must have a weather stick which is why they need him there to read it).

Only story he's got about that is them getting a bunch of golf balls donated to them, so they hit them into a mine field. Obviously, no one went to get them.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

All that sand weather though, I'm sure KV must have popped a few times. XD

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

By the way, to those concerned, this is option number 3 on the list.

If I get into pharm school I'm going; and then if teaching in Korea somehow doesn't work out, this would be choice 3. Just keeping my options out there instead of putting all my eggs into 1 basket

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Join up.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm a Mechanic in the Army, and i love it sometimes. Granted we work more then anyone in the fucking Army, but hey at least its a job skill! Also i'll back up shepardG because the Airforce EoD guys were the coolest fuckers i got to go out on mission with. They let me blew shit up, it was awesome! I'm ready to deploy again, fuck garrison!

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Misuicide View Post
    I'm a Mechanic in the Army, and i love it sometimes. Granted we work more then anyone in the fucking Army, but hey at least its a job skill! Also i'll back up shepardG because the Airforce EoD guys were the coolest fuckers i got to go out on mission with. They let me blew shit up, it was awesome! I'm ready to deploy again, fuck garrison!
    Lol, no doubt, funny thing is, i'd bend over backwards for my vic guys. Trucks ain't moving? well shit... my job just got a helluva lot more hairy. I also know the pain of having to change a humvee tire with a run-flat in it. fuck that shit.

@ CS. Dude, i like your priorities. I won't disuade you from your 1st and 2nd option, because if i had been a go getter like you have been, i'd have done the same, but i know how shit plays out in this world of ours. Don't think option 3 is in any way bad. You set yourself up for success no matter what you do.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

The only thing I don't like really is the amount of time you sign away at a time. If there was a 1 year try it before you buy it option, I'd have given it a shot ages ago

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

to my knowledge, there aren't many jobs at all that only offer 1 year contracts :-\

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Can't walk away from the military like you could a job, think he means once you sign up, you're there for your term

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In the grand scheme of things a 4 year commitment is pretty small. And mind you that's a 4 year commitment with a guaranteed paycheck and all the other benefits the military entails.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aragon of Odin View Post
    Can't walk away from the military like you could a job, think he means once you sign up, you're there for your term
    It kind of trade off. Guarantee 4 years salary vs non-guaranteed 1 year salary. Depending which you feel better/comfortable for yourself.

BG Level

I get that, but that's besides the point I believe. I believe his concern is that you're signing away 4 years for somethig you might not enjoy, it has nothing to do with a guaranteed paycheck or benefits. Doing something you dislike for 4 years with no options to leave would not be fun, especially when you'd always be thinking "Had I just done option A or B instead of this, I'd be enjoying life right now".

Giving up 4 years of your life to dedicate to something you don't like isn't really a small commitment either, A LOT can happen over a 4 year span in your life, and if you want to get the most enjoyment out of life, it's tough to commit to something you don't know if you'd enjoy.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Osede View Post
    Go for PhD because of scholarship funding? As a PhD degree holder, I'm kind of against if unless you really have a clear path on your career. What you want to do after PhD, what you know about PhD degree market and etc. Else, you will suffer more than anything else, and will regret for wasting your life. Also, your job choice will be even more limited with PhD degree.
    This needs to be repeated like 100 times. So many people go to grad school because they finish undergrad and then don't know what they want to do, so grad school seems like the next step (like college was the next step after high school). I don't know about other fields, but for us, it's about 50% attrition rate for grad students, I think largely because so many people get into it without thinking it through and really knowing what they're getting into.
    Going to repeat this a third time. In the Biological Sciences, we have this breakdown:
    * 1/3 of entering students never complete their PhD
    * 1/3 take longer than 7 years
    * 1/3 take 7 years or less

Your experience in graduate school depends almost entirely upon your adviser, but they aren't hired for their social skills. They're hired for their grant-getting ability, which hinges on their ability to make people collect data. Many of them are socially inept dicks. I recently moved labs because my previous adviser was such a cuntwaffle. Currently I work from 7 to whenever (writing this from work while I wait for something to drain), but at least in this lab I get most weekends off.

As far as stipends, what I get paid works out to about $6.50/hr. It feels like more because I don't have any time to spend it and have ended up comfortably contributing the max to my Roth IRA each year. I likely could have made double the salary working half as long in an industry job with my undergraduate degree, though.

one of my best friends taught english in korea, he said it was the best experience of his life thus far. I noticed him changing a bit, but in a good way too.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

How does one go about teaching in Korea?

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    From what I've seen, airforce definitely seems to be the way to go.
    Gonna vouch for this and say if you have the opportunity to do it, go Airforce. The amount of experience in scale to what you'll earn in a different branch isn't even comparable. It's just so fucking hard to get in to a good field that most people shy away. I would have loved to do the Airforce but at the time, my vision (of all things) is what kept me from doing anything worthwhile. I figured if I was going to enlist as a grunt, I'd rather grunt up in the Army rather than a grunt in the Airforce.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast