• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Non Traditional High Speed (moving to rural area)

Hey everyone. I will be moving very soon to a rural area where cable internet and DSL are not available. What alternative types of high speed internet are out there that I might look into that is decent enough for gaming and streaming?

I looked into WildBlue and Hughes Net satellite internet but those are very expensive and have data limits. The best plans they provide is 25gb per month and they are not the best speed. Not bad but not great.

Has anyone heard of the company BlueFire Broadband? They offer 4G wireless internet 6mbs download 3mbs upload unlimited data per month for $120ish which seems to be a good deal.

http://www.bluefirebroadband.com/wir...ornia/Big-Sur/

Has anyone used 4G for home internet before?

Are there any other ideas or suggestions for high speed in a rural area?

Thanks.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Check if your area has WiMax, which is indeed a 4G style wireless. It's the 802.16 standard, which is faster than the phone 4G standard that most are familiar with. I've heard good things but have no personal experience.

I would avoid satellite internet like the plague. I had it once and couldn't ditch it fast enough. Interrupts as often as satellite TV does, so basically every time it rained or the wind blew.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Havok Stormblood
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Avoid satellite for sure. Especially Hughes Net. Terrible internet and one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Thanks for the heads up on the satellite issues guys. I did find one service that is 4G wireless it is the BlueFire Broadband I listed above. Though I don't know what standard they use. It is listed as 6mbs download 3mbs upload which isn't too bad that is about as fast as DSL. I will definitely focus on the 4G internet and see if there are other companies in that area.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

We lease Commercial Static IPs to them ( have done a couple of /24 IP block orders from em ). The IT guys I have talked to from them sound like good people.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Well that sucks. Just got off the phone with BlueFire and they don't have wireless available in my area. Just satellite... There is either a verizon or AT&T cell tower nearby but so far I haven't found anyone who offers wireless internet.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Satellite is horrible for gaming because of latency, unless you are doing turn-based games. Wireless is a little better, simply because you aren't going miles into orbit to a satellite and miles back down to the ground relay. Either type of connection is likely to have usage limits though.

Rural area of which state/country? Hughes is about it in some parts of Alaska. There was ATT ALASCOM at one point, not sure if it still exists. For other national carriers, I have no idea, since most don't exist up here. GCI is working on the TERA NET along the coastline, to do fiber and microwave relays to rural areas.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

What part of country? What sort of price range? (Per month you would be willing to pay)

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Map showing approximate location of where I am moving. My price range is dependent on how fast the internet is and if there is data limits on it. I think for internet good enough for online gaming (like FPS or similar speed games) and using streaming services like netflix and amazon prime I would be willing to go up to $150 a month.

I wish I had the knowledge to get some investors to set up microwave towers along the coast to get real decent high speed in the area. A company could make so much money down there. It would take a rather large initial investment but there are enough houses that I think it would pay off. I know there is one business in the valley that has a T1 line that they run into a wireless hub then beam out the signal to a bunch of different houses and they all pay like $30 a month to share the T1 line. It is crazy.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I was in a similar situation a few years ago and went through a terrible ordeal with HughesNet. Beyond the 25 gig per month cap there is also a 250-300 mb per day cap that if you went over, you were put on 56k for 24 hrs...you had a small window in the early morning where this was lifted so you could do updates, but it was slow as molasses during that time period. I ended up just buying out of their contract and going with Verizon and putting a signal booster antenna on the roof. I got 4g most of the time and that was "ok" for gaming...just hope you aren't a FPS fan.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

As far as I'm aware, every major phone service provider also offers wireless Internet. As such, you should be able to talk to people from AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon, and ask about it. Your area may only support 3G, but someone should have it covered.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I will definitely call AT&T and Verizon about this. There is definitely cell service on that ridge from a cell tower that is 1 or 2 ridges over. On verizon you get full signal on AT&T you get decent signal. Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately Noblemountain I am a huge FPS fan and a streaming service fan... Worst case scenario I won't be doing much fps gaming anytime soon and I will just get good enough internet. I should be spending more time outside anyway. If I can get good enough internet I will skip regular tv and go streaming only, if I can't get good enough internet I will cancel all the streaming services and get regular satellite tv.

Ridill
    BG Level

I use Pixius wireless, might want to look at them. It's fairly reasonably priced. It's slower than cable or DSL, though. It also requires solid line of sight, I have to keep some specific trees trimmed back more than I'd like for it, for example.

That said, when my mom comes to town she gets better internet on her iphone at my house than my Pixius.

edit: sounds like Pixius is actually only a kansas/missouri company, but I know there are similar companies throughout the country

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Rural Internet

With all the issues i have had with Wireless Rural Internet, I am getting ready to order from a company online.. Does anyone have a suggestion of a rural internet service in wisconsin ?

Thanks For the help

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sorry Gold. Tech forum necro's are ok within reason.