+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Honestly at this point the movies can't be worse then the trainwreck that was RE6. Unless the movie features QTEs.
    Wat, RE6 was awesome. To what other game are you comparing 6, to number 2? Because 3 was pretty actionny and it became clear it had switched directions. So you had... what, 3, 4, 5, and then 6 to drill it into your head that it wasn't 'survival horror' no more?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Idk if I'd consider RE Nemesis actiony. It felt more like a faster paced survival horror. And don't forget CV either, came after 3 and had the survivor horror theme still. Even 4 still retained the atmosphere when bringing the action. That all stopped once 5 hit the shelves.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Idk if I'd consider RE Nemesis actiony. It felt more like a faster paced survival horror. And don't forget CV either, came after 3 and had the survivor horror theme still. Even 4 still retained the atmosphere when bringing the action. That all stopped once 5 hit the shelves.
    This. Some of you seemed to have started playing Resident Evil of Duty instead of Resident Evil.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

I was just wondering when this was coming out.. fuck. Dumb bitch can't wait to pop out a kid, I can't imagine these movies shooting for more than 4 months

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Titanss View Post
    I was just wondering when this was coming out.. fuck. Dumb bitch can't wait to pop out a kid, I can't imagine these movies shooting for more than 4 months
    For real.

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Idk if I'd consider RE Nemesis actiony.
    It's totally more action based. Just the inclusion of a dodging mechanic makes it action-based. While 5 and 6 might not be scary, they are still RE games and it's the direction the series has been moving in for ages. Though with movies like these coming out is it any surprise this is what RE is now?

I don't mind RE like this, it's actually more fun to play.

BG Level

That wasn't really action based. That was more to please people who weren't a fan of clunky controls (I loved Quick Dodge and Quick Turn).

After CV, the game lost all sense of urgency and scares and turned into an arcade game.

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    That wasn't really action based. That was more to please people who weren't a fan of clunky controls (I loved Quick Dodge and Quick Turn).

After CV, the game lost all sense of urgency and scares and turned into an arcade game.
    Of course it was action based, it required you to properly time your actions based on the enemies movements. It allowed you to be stylish, effective and alleviated the frustration of shitty controls. If that isn't action based I don't know what is. (I'm not saying RE3 was an action game overall though.)

The only reason RE was scary was because of the controls. All the scares were cheap and rarely built on anything (though I will give you that CV was probably the creepiest RE ever) throughout the level or game. Any enemy encounter was tense because of crappy controls and the feeling you can't get away. You don't feel that tension in newer RE games because your character actually moves when you tell them too.

I just think people got it twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Of course it was action based, it required you to properly time your actions based on the enemies movements. It allowed you to be stylish, effective and alleviated the frustration of shitty controls. If that isn't action based I don't know what is. (I'm not saying RE3 was an action game overall though.)

The only reason RE was scary was because of the controls. All the scares were cheap and rarely built on anything (though I will give you that CV was probably the creepiest RE ever) throughout the level or game. Any enemy encounter was tense because of crappy controls and the feeling you can't get away. You don't feel that tension in newer RE games because your character actually moves when you tell them too.

I just think people got it twisted.
    I thought it was scary because of the camera angles and not knowing what I'm walking into just around the corner. Clunky controls had no part in that.

BG Level

So if I add a health bar to Call of Duty then it's RPG-based?

Some things are added to make the game more fluid and intuitive. There is a huge difference between that and flat-out changing the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Penthesilea View Post
    I thought it was scary because of the camera angles and not knowing what I'm walking into just around the corner. Clunky controls had no part in that.
    Do you even play games? If you think the controls weren't part of what makes original RE scary then you weren't paying attention. Camera angles add to that, but any horror game is the same in that respect with the difference being how you deal with the enemy in front of you. Sometimes you shoot it, sometimes you run, sometimes you hide but no matter what you do, if your controls are shitty and clunky then it feels scarier than it actually is. If your character arbitrary trips up without any input that makes it scarier, etc. How can you think the degree of control you're given isn't important?

So if I add a health bar to Call of Duty then it's RPG-based?

Some things are added to make the game more fluid and intuitive. There is a huge difference between that and flat-out changing the genre.
    ...I never said it changed RE3's genre, I just said they were adding action elements to it.

And yes, if they added HP/HP to CoD it would be an RPG element. What the fuck do you think Borderlands is? FPS with RPG elements. RE3 is survival horror with action elements. Shocking.

BG Level

That's quite different than what you said before.

edit: Using what you said now, they've turned it into action with survival horror "elements".

That's quite different than what you said before.
    It isn't, you just seem confused. If you need clarity, we were always talking about the dodging mechanic within RE3, not RE3 as a whole. Dodging mechanic makes it more action based, it doesn't make RE an action game.

BG Level

Okay. I get it now. Sorry.

edit: Using what you said now, they've turned it into action with survival horror "elements".
    Yeah, it's pretty much an action game with survival horror elements. Looking at games like Dead Space, I think it's entirely possible to have a blend of action and survival horror, but even Dead Space lost the plot after the first game.

Generally, I think survival horror has been on a huge decline. There are scary games out there, but nothing like the old RE/SH.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

What a terrible way to start the new RE movie thread.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Give Revelations a try, it's a throwback to the old school RE. Loved the shit out of that game. Glad they just announced a new one.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Filming to begin this August
    I’m really proud of myself for not gaining the same amount of weight that I did with our first child (75 lbs.) because I have to be ready to start filming “Resident Evil- The Final Chapter” in August of this year and I will also be nursing an infant simultaneously (get ready wardrobe department for Alice’s new “easy mama access” costume) so I don’t want to be on any extreme diets to get ready to go back to “action hero” mode!
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...535599659&fs=5

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I didn't realize just how bank the Res Evil series has been.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

that's crazy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast