+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    My wife and I are going after the house linked below. While it needs some work, I'm sure rent in our town would be around $1k/month or possibly more for this home or something similar. I hope to god we get this house.
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M48589-38879
    I now know where you'll sleep.

I also wanna cut myself that you can get that kind of house for 55k. Holy shit.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    Bro you need to put in another full bath
    I know, we've discussed it. The half bath is tiny, you can wash your hands while sitting on the toilet. If I thought we'd be living here 5 years from now we probably would. Finishing landscaping the backyard this summer, probably going to be the last major work we do on it.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Yeah, the solution sounds ridiculous. A bunch of random people not paying their rent in random places, you know what happens then? A bunch of random people in random places get evicted and no one cares.

To pull something like this off (and I'm honestly not convinced this could be pulled off), you need organization. The people who are charging rent need to realize why people are not paying full, not just that rent stopped coming in. And, I think it needs to happen somewhere concentrated where it'd garner enough attention to motivate others to join in (kinda like how the Occupy movement started in NYC and then went everywhere -- but, then again, look how much that movement accomplished). It'd probably need to happen in somewhere like NYC or LA.
    I did cover those points in my post. Go look, not even an edit tag.

It will only work if you can get at least millions locally, or tens of millions nation wide. But this isn't like going out and protesting (or camping out), or changing consumption behavior by boycotting, or even work striking where it's a "you're screwed-we're screwed" staredown.
    You just, keep your money. It's the easiest goddamn thing to do. If people can't manage do even that, then ok, yeah, fuck this gay earth, we deserve it.

It is getting it out there, and getting commitment (which, you know "This is ridiculous/whack/impossible", doesn't really help) that matters. Beyond that though, hell, you don't even need to interact with a group. You could be a hikikomori and still participate in this shit as long as you knew about it.
    And if it's big enough to get enough people that it works, it isn't exactly going to be a secret, so everyone on the other end will know damn well WHY the money isn't coming in.

As for evictions, the big problem, well, let's get into that. I've taken a quick glance, but I admit I'm not fully versed in it. You know it well, or anyone else wanna walkthrough the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Beyond that though, what about people who aren't housing corporations who are counting on rent to pay the mortgage on their properties. Either they'll evict their tenants to find someone else who can pay, or they won't be able to pay the mortgage and they'll lose the property. And if you think that a lot of people suddenly not being able to pay their mortgages is going to make banks rethink things, I suggest looking back a few years.
    Yeah, I know the title says rent, as does most of the language I use throughout. But I do believe home prices (and thus mortgages) are badly inflated. This isn't just a problem for renters or homeowners, it's everyone's problem.
    If a sublet is high because the mortgage is high, the bank's still the jackass, the middleman's just a patsy.

I do know fighting the banks is harder, and would take legislation to do. Guess that's a case to go full strike instead of percentage strike, since once a percentage strike is won, the renter's leverage leaves the pack and leaves people with mortgages holding the potato. Gotta get a win for everyone before stopping, would need to write up a set of goals/demands with clear workable legalese for the targets before trying to launch awareness, so people know when it's ok to start paying again.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    You just, keep your money. It's the easiest goddamn thing to do. If people can't manage do even that, then ok, yeah, fuck this gay earth, we deserve it.
    If you think that not paying your rent and thus have the very good chance of getting evicted when you have a family to provide for is the, "easiest goddamn thing to do," you have lost your fucking mind.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Does nobody read that I'm TRYING to work on solving the eviction part.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post

We gotta expand the kitchen for that good filipino cooking

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Well, when you actually have something solid then come back to us. The ones you suggested aren't worth it at all.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

We gotta expand the kitchen for that good filipino cooking
    and by kitchen you mean digging a hole in the backyard for that sweet sweet lechon.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

and by kitchen you mean digging a hole in the backyard for that sweet sweet lechon.
    I'm laughing so hard right now. If my wife could have that she would in a minute. She already plans to have bok choy in the garden. Our current landlord opposes gardens >.>

BG Level

Sigh.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

hahaha awesome! JUST DON'T BE BUYING DUCKS FOR BALUT.

So gross.

BG Level

Rent in most areas is still depressed, it's only major cities that are having new rental spikes.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Eviction sounds so much worse, but I really think it'd be, essentially, a breach of contract. Unless you're month to month, the landlord is providing a service which the tenant has agreed to pay for. The two have agreed on a price, and so if one side suddenly decides to stop following their side of the contract, what reason does the other have to keep it up?

It's been a few years since I've rented, but I believe most of the places I've rented from in the past have had fees attached if you're late (like for every day late, up till a point, then they have grounds to evict the tenant). But, that was all in the lease, and I believe it will vary from location to location, situation to situation. I know with my parents, their tenant has been late once, but called to ask for an extension, which they were ok with giving. I imagine different states have different laws when it comes to eviction too. I need to call a lawyer friend who lives in San Antonio to make fun of him for being down to Dallas tonight, so I'll check and make sure this is all correct.

I know you mentioned some of my criticisms in your original post, but you don't have solutions to the problems -- and in my opinion, those solutions do not exist.

Even if you have a lot of people affected, this is a huge free rider problem -- not in the sense of "If I don't contribute I still get the reward" (although, arguably, it has that element as well..), but you're asking people to take on a huge risk at the start. Yes, when it takes off, you can say "I'm part of the movement demanding fairer rent practices" but if people don't know what that is at first, it has no impact. Like Ksandra said, if you have a family, or obligations, that's a huge risk to take.

And more importantly, unless you get publicity for this, let's call it a movement, before starting, it needs to be concentrated so that people take notice. You have two types of landlords -- corporations or individuals. Let's say 1% of the population agrees to this movement. In an apartment complex with 500 units, that's 5 people (obviously I'm making some assumptions about the distribution of the population here, but for the sake of argument, let's roll with it). That's not really that noticeable when you have 99% paying on time. That's just a handful that'll need to be evicted. Having random people stop paying their full rent at random locations isn't going to be more than a splash in the bucket for them. And as far as the individuals who are renting their property, unless you get a ton of pre-movement publicity, they won't know what's going on.

You're proposing this on a gaming forum, but, like you said, you'd need to go somewhere like Reddit, 4chan, etc. Hell, maybe even Craigslist would be better since it's centralized for each city.

(Apologizes if any of this is disjointed.. I got distracted by the game a few times..)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

This whole problem is systemic and is based on market value of the local real estate market, which is based on numerous factors. You're talking about doing something that will result in the eviction of thousands of people and the financial ruin of thousands more who own the homes/apartments that are now empty. In the meantime, the banks, the real financial power and the richest people in the nation, come out on top yet again when they get to foreclose on another large percentage of the housing market and make billions off of the redistribution of that wealth to even wealthier people that will sweep up the mess from the first group of people and charge even higher rates.

If you want to make a tangible change, you need to do something that rips the bottom line out from under the banks that benefits from the housing market in America, not the middle class and low income people struggling to make it in the system that is stacked against them.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I just actually read your post. You are living in fantasy land if you think any part of your plan would work. I should read things.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

My wife and I are going after the house linked below. While it needs some work, I'm sure rent in our town would be around $1k/month or possibly more for this home or something similar. I hope to god we get this house.
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M48589-38879
    piss yellow kitchen cupboards >______________>

also, rent-strike is fucking retarded. it took unions ages, and cost a lot of lives, to get labor laws to a decent standard, and we're already backsliding. that plan WILL kill people.

there is only one way to change anything in this country. i'll give you a hint: it starts with D and ends with
    Spoiler: show

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yeah that kitchen needs a complete overhaul. My workout partner and I were talking about this. He's a huge Dave Ramsey supporter and is of the mindset people should not carry any debt period. We've talked about finances, where I'm at, etc. When talking of this house he actually said, "you cannot afford that house because of your debt". My wife and I currently pay $675/m rent plus all utilities and garbage. Figuring on the high side for principle, interest, insurance, taxes, and FHA MIP that house would run us around $650/m. The house is 500 square feet larger than our current house, in much better condition, and in a better part of town. Maybe I'm selling myself, but in my opinion we can't afford NOT to go after this house.

In other words, people have different opinions of what's affordable, what's not, and how a persons monthly income should work. Regarding the OP, rent strike is a terrible idea with serious consequences. Don't like your high rent? What are YOU doing about it? It's an honest question. Makes me think of Wolf of Wallstreet when he's belittling the fed about riding home on the subway because that's what he chose.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If you think your rent is bad now wait till you do what you plan. After a bit of playing a few rounds of eviction chicken with your landlord you willl soon only be able to get the shittiest of apartments in the worse of neighborhoods and will have to pay a premium to do so.

If you feel your rent for an apartment is too high then you have two choices. You can move to a cheaper neighborhood, because there are always cheaper neighborhoods, or rent a home. You will usually get a much better deal renting a home then an apartment, however, you are taking risk you don't have to worry about when renting an apartment.

5 bedroom, 2 story, 4 bath from where i'm from for around 50k. Too bad there are no jobs there lol

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah, I know the title says rent, as does most of the language I use throughout. But I do believe home prices (and thus mortgages) are badly inflated. This isn't just a problem for renters or homeowners, it's everyone's problem.
    If a sublet is high because the mortgage is high, the bank's still the jackass, the middleman's just a patsy.
    Just no...... things were inflated 5-10 years ago before the market wrecked in 2008. I work in financial services including real estate appraisals and I would advise you look into HVCC and Dodd-Frank regulations that largely limit any influence on appraisers or attempts by banks to inflate value. I know PHX's prices plummeted, as did a lot of parts of FL, CA, Chicago, the rust belt, etc. Just the other day I saw borrowers and sellers renegotiate a price down $60k on a 500k'ish house cause the appraiser came in $60k below the initial negotiated price. In the past, the bank would've twisted the appraisers thumbs to find a way to magically increase it that 60k/10+%. In terms of 2007 vs 2014, for example, my parents house was assessed by the county at $215k awhile back and now its assessed at $110k (although with a homestead) as nothing has sold on their street or the adjacent street for over $150k in several years.

Your individual market may suck or you may simple be naive in what you really deserve / should be able to own in relation to what you do and how much you make but just remember all those "badly inflated" home prices and resulting mortgages had to be signed off and agreed to by the borrower so they share some portion of the responsibility but as several people here have indicated, if you can slowly save up for a significant deposit, the resulting mortgage, taxes, and insurance are usually a discount on the rent you'd otherwise have kept paying. I recommend you also look into federal as well as potential state and local programs that encourage home ownership since everything went down in 2008; there's a lot of initiative by the government to get families back into homes they own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast