1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 18 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 3 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 6 hours, 18 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Oreth View Post
    Jesus is that to scale... 2.0 Coerthas is so small!
    It was as close as I could get it on MS paint xD all the areas match up though, stone vigil. the area of The Nail matched perfect when I was resizing the 2.0map. The path that leads to Ishgard meets perfectly on both maps too.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Jesus is that to scale... 2.0 Coerthas is so small!
    and 1.0 was huge

and filled with
    absolutely

nothing

the zones have character now. And aren't just endless hallways connecting camp to shity camp...

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Looking at that image, it's funny to note that the "big bridge" that's not open and we fight Greg on appears to be along the old path between Coerthas and Gridania. I guess a new path opened when the Calamity hit.

That aside, they did a pretty damn good job of connecting 1.0 and 2.0, because that fits really well on top of the ol' 1.0 map. Using Natalan & Ishgard as anchor points, Dzemael is in the same place, Aurum Vale barely moved, there was an abandoned fort where Whitebrim now stands, etc. I guess they lore-wiped the whole old southern portion of the Coerthas map out in 2.0 though, 'cause Mor Dhona clearly used to be way farther south than it is now.

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by shidobu View Post
    and 1.0 was huge

and filled with
    absolutely

nothing

the zones have character now. And aren't just endless hallways connecting camp to shity camp...
    wasnt a complaint was just more of a comparison

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

The old Mor Dhona map fits perfectly on the new one as well. (Edit: aside form missing the entire southern half D: )

http://www.ffxivinfo.com/images/maps/mor-dhona.jpg
    http://ffxivmaps.com/img/region-mor_dhona-small.png

The old camp Rev Troll is actually still there in 2.0 where those crystals bursted from the ground (old copy/pasta camp tent and all.) The singing shards have migrated much further North though in 2.0 and the North shroud zone seems to have been blocked by crystal tower D:

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil View Post
    can we stop with Primals or is that attached to the lore that we have to keep getting more?
    I swear to god Yoshida said something about "Primals we'd never even dream of/expect" coming after Shiva/Ramuh. Also, storywise, it is unlikely we will run out of Primals to kill. We haven't explored all of Eorzea yet really, there may be beast tribes in Gyr Abania/Sharlayan and then there's the Primals of Meracydia and Orthard still, which we know exist. Goblin and Qiqirn primals too plz. It seems to be the Ascian MO to drain aether from the planet and the summoning of Primals definitely does that. Bonus points if the Five Races start summoning the Twelve again (as the processes are the same, like Moggle Mog)

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    That aside, they did a pretty damn good job of connecting 1.0 and 2.0, because that fits really well on top of the ol' 1.0 map. Using Natalan & Ishgard as anchor points, Dzemael is in the same place, Aurum Vale barely moved, there was an abandoned fort where Whitebrim now stands, etc. I guess they lore-wiped the whole old southern portion of the Coerthas map out in 2.0 though, 'cause Mor Dhona clearly used to be way farther south than it is now.
    Most of the maps actually fit extremely will, which is surprising considering how different they feel in 2.0; there are some liberties taken of course, but I think my cursory glance some weeks ago Thanalan was the most dramatically changed area.

Also no idea if you mean that Ramuh pic is indicative of a press event or the concept art?? The pic of Ramuh is actually from a MSQ not long after Toto-Rak, can't fault people for not remembering the one cutscene we got a 10s glimpse of him tho

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by shidobu View Post
    and 1.0 was huge

and filled with
    absolutely

nothing

I actually miss just having a large ass open zone with little oddities thrown in like 1.0. It's not hard to give it purpose either, just toss a FATE or quests in there. Zones now are more like a nature trail for tourists whereas 1.0 was just, "Here's the wilderness and your compass, have at it." The Evershade Tree (whatever that big ass tree in Central Shroud is called) for example, just felt more awe inspiring first seeing it in 1.0.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Being hopelessly lost in Black Shroud and walking carefully to not draw the wrath of lv80 Treants. I miss the world from 1.0 more than anything else (though it's a low bar when talking about 1.x content).

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I look forward to the Goblin Primal: Great Grand Gobbiebag XIV.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Goblin Primal needs to be Ultros and the Qiqirn Primal needs to be Typhon.

Make it happen, SE.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I actually miss just having a large ass open zone with little oddities thrown in like 1.0. It's not hard to give it purpose either, just toss a FATE or quests in there. Zones now are more like a nature trail for tourists whereas 1.0 was just, "Here's the wilderness and your compass, have at it." The Evershade Tree (whatever that big ass tree in Central Shroud is called) for example, just felt more awe inspiring first seeing it in 1.0.
    Why did they get rid of the seamless zones again? This has really been bothering me in 2.0 as of late... sidenote(and the that beastmen strongholds are not at all terrifying to stroll around in and go afk...)

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

(mostly guessing here, I'm no game dev)

The seamless zones were a lot of the reason why the 1.0 zones were bland; the system needed common textures and shit across the entire zone so everywhere looked the same. That's not to say that the best of both worlds couldn't be implemented, but SE went for ease of programming over putting more shit on their already very time-constrained plate.

That said, 1.0's seamless zones weren't all that great. You could tell exactly where the regions were sewn together because they were always connected by a choke point (you can even identify them by analyzing the old maps; they were generally separated by a thin, uninteresting, and often long corridor surrounded by tall rocks/walls) so the system had time to load whatever new shit was required for the upcoming region. Choke point vs black loading screen? Honestly, I couldn't give a shit either way.

Now, if they had ever been able to seamlessly transition between to radically different regions, The Black Shroud and Thanalan for example, then I might've been more impressed, but not even 1.0 attempted to do that.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

The checkpoints didn't bug me in the world, but the zonelines in the current cities and exiting them annoys the hell out of me.

You could tell where the stitching was in 1.0 cities, however, because the horrifically buggy servers had a tendency to always disconnect you and crash when you walked across them. I was flatly unable to walk out of Ul'dah for a long while because as soon as I got down the ramp onto the sands, my game would shit itself.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

There was a post by Yoshida 10,000 years ago during 1.0 where he outlined the exact zonelines for Ul'dah (which he called Zone A and Zone B) and the zonelines in 2.0 are the exact same.

idk why but that always made me feel sort of smug

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

edited for table breaking sorry
    Reminder to all: This model of Ramuh is in the game right now. You see it briefly during the MSQ cutscene for Lv24 Believe in Your Sylph. Can re-watch at inn.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

3.0 after E3 could be.....at any point in the future lol. Seems like an odd quote to put in an article.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's probably supposed to be 2.3.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Patch 4.0 revealed to be after 2014

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Goblin Primal needs to be Ultros and the Qiqirn Primal needs to be Typhon.

Make it happen, SE.
    I miss Typhon and Ultros.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast