+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Backyard Astronomy     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    So I've finally gotten a chance to use my new ASI2600MC Pro cooled camera on my refractor a few weeks ago. Went after the Rosette Nebula and got almost 6 hours of imaging done over two nights. I could've done more, but on the final night, the nebula was dipping behind my neighbors roof so I gave up.

The image below is 69x300second exposures stacked using an L-eXtreme filter to only capture Hydrogen Alpha and Oxygen III. The imaging processing program I use allows me to split the RGB channels and recombine them using some math to create a false color Hydrogen, Oxygen, Oxygen image where those elements are assigned to specific RGB channels.

That’s absolutely amazing!

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by jelkwaz View Post
    That's absolutely stunning.

Are you in an area with a lot of light pollution? I've always been interested in this kind of photography, but I'm in metro Atlanta so I assume that the light would make it difficult.
    We have moderate light pollution where I live but nothing like the main cities like Los Angeles. There is a guy on YouTube that images in downtown Tokyo and gets crazy good results. The imaging processing suites that are available these days can knock light pollution out of the images which to me is still crazy. When shooting from an area of high light pollution, you end up taking shorter exposures (60s) but still try to get enough subs to stack together.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Just finished shooting the Heart Nebula last night. This one was only 2 hours of data because it sits low in the sky by the time it gets dark enough and guiding was horrible because I took a chance and shot this while there was a breeze greater than 10mph which can mess with guiding. I am tabling this one for now, but in October I am going to get more data and combine with what I have currently. I am most likely going to shoot the second session with an OIII/SII filter and then combine the two subs to make the Hubble SHO palette.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

That's some amazing work.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    That's some amazing work.
    Thanks! I am glad I got back into this hobby because I am having a ton of fun. Thankfully there are so many tools out there now that speeds up the workflow compared to when I first started. My first image I made a serious attempt at took about 2 hours of post processing. Lately I am able to get that same amount of work done in about 10 minutes.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Awesome pics yo!!

Also I completely forgot I got that Hestia smartphone thingy from the kickstarter. It just came in. Now I gotta find some time/place to make use of it. Should figure it out before that eclipse happens

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Get ready. We will never see this again in our lifetime.

View Nova Explosion, ‘New’ Star in Northern Crown

A star system, located 3,000 light-years away from Earth, is predicted to become visible to the unaided eye soon. This could be a once-in-a-lifetime viewing opportunity as the nova outburst only occurs about every 80 years. T Coronae Borealis, or T CrB, last exploded in 1946 and astronomers believe it will do so again between February and September 2024.
    https://blogs.nasa.gov/Watch_the_Ski...orthern-crown/

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Also, eclipse in 2 weeks.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm 3 hrs from path of totality and I was trying to figure out driving there and back same day

Turns out a buddy of mine booked a place for the weekend in Burlington VT 1.5 years ago and has an extra room. So thats gonna be awesome lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I'm 3 hrs from path of totality and I was trying to figure out driving there and back same day

Turns out a buddy of mine booked a place for the weekend in Burlington VT 1.5 years ago and has an extra room. So thats gonna be awesome lol
    Jealous, i'm in south CA and was thinking of driving to NM or near Texas to view it but just doesn't make sense and would cost a chunk of change to fly out.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Fingers crossed for no clouds now..

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

i’ll be taking it in around Sulphur Springs TX. the whole trip’ll prolly put ~2500 miles on the odometer

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Jealous, i'm in south CA and was thinking of driving to NM or near Texas to view it but just doesn't make sense and would cost a chunk of change to fly out.
    Hope it's all clear skies that day! Last eclipse I got to watch from work base in Greenbelt and thankfully had minimal cloud cover which is very nice for Maryland. Fucking swamp land!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag