+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Now is the time to join Wolf PAC (Get money out of politics)

This is too important for the subforum.

http://www.wolf-pac.com/

A vast majority of Americans agree that the influence of money on the political process in the United States has caused massive problems in the short and long-term prosperity of the country and the world. The fact that politicians at federal level are now available to be bought by the highest bidder means that the average American's interests are no longer being represented.

The Founding Fathers foresaw the possibilities of the corruption in federal government, and created a provision in the constitution to allow the States to pass Constitutional Amendments.

Vermont has just become the first state to vote for a convention by the states to pass a Constitutional Amendment to get money out of politics. This means that together with 33 other states, they will be able to call for a Constitutional Amendment. The hardest part is getting the first state!

Just watch the first 2 minutes of this video for an explanation:

For additional information about the plans and goals of Wolf PAC, go here: http://www.wolf-pac.com/the_plan

It's time to be on the right side of history again. This will only be possible if people volunteer their time and money to influence the country at the State level, where it will be possible to overcome corruption.

Volunteers are needed across the country to make calls in their state, to constituents in every district, and have them ask their representatives to vote for this convention. This is a legitimate, realistic, and achievable way for the people to take back their representative democracy.
    Please donate any time and/or money that you're able to if you believe in this cause. It's time to make a difference.

http://www.wolf-pac.com/states and use the QUICK LINKS on the right side.

Resources!
    How to talk to legislators script: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ASwMGomtE/edit

How to call legislators:

Curious what volunteering is like? What it takes to make a huge difference in your state? How you can help change American history? Watch this interview!

Something to keep in mind:

Near the turn of the 20th century the states wanted a direct election of senators, and Nebraska was the first state to call for an Article V. Convention in 1893. By 1913 the movement had come within one state of reaching the necessary 2/3 threshold that would force a convention. When it became clear to Congress that the 17th Amendment was going to happen one way or another they decided to preempt a convention by passing it themselves. The threat of a convention is the strongest message we can send and the most effective way to restore our democracy in the United States. This can and must be done in a far shorter time period then it took for the 17th Amendment, then again, they didn't have the power of the internet and other technology we will be using in this battle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convent...e_V_convention

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

This would be wild but 33 more states is asking a lot.

If campaign finance is an important issue for you I suggest contributing to Lessig's superPAC.

Mayone.us

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

And Mayone looks to be a better bang for buck than WolfPAC. The financial side of WolfPAC is asking for $10/mo, with no real guarantee it'll raise all it needs.
    Where as Mayone has a concrete goalpoast, and in ONE DAY hit 25% of it's midway goal.

and there's this
    The US Population is 316,128,839, 76.5% of which is voting age. If only one quarter of the voting age public donated $1, it would equal $60.4 million. If half gave $5 it would equal $604.6 million.

The largest Super PAC raised $20.5 million in 2014. All Super PACs combined reported $201.8 million.
    I can't source it, and the anecdote is old, but I remember hearing that the yearly national advertising budget of just the BUBBLEGUM industry is larger than the election industry.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Let me quickly chime in to say that I feel that Mayone's approach is not optimal. They are advocating for using donated money to fund elections on the fundamental issue of reform. This is pretty much the same approach as campaign financing of federal level elections. The problem is, we will ALWAYS get outspent at federal levels. Simply trying to buy politicians to vote against the system that supports them greatly is not going to work, at least in my opinion.

The funding for Wolf PAC is going towards the day-to-day operations of the campaign, not towards buying elections. The bulk of the difference made is made by the volunteers that reach out to constituents and ask for political pressure at the state level. Honestly, I think volunteering would be much more effective than donating.

Also, a little something from the website to counter the "unrealistic" perception of this:

Something to keep in mind:

Near the turn of the 20th century the states wanted a direct election of senators, and Nebraska was the first state to call for an Article V. Convention in 1893. By 1913 the movement had come within one state of reaching the necessary 2/3 threshold that would force a convention. When it became clear to Congress that the 17th Amendment was going to happen one way or another they decided to preempt a convention by passing it themselves. The threat of a convention is the strongest message we can send and the most effective way to restore our democracy in the United States. This can and must be done in a far shorter time period then it took for the 17th Amendment, then again, they didn't have the power of the internet and other technology we will be using in this battle.
    Therefore, not only will this present a path to the amendment at the state level, but it will also create political pressure at the federal level.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

as much as it would amuse me to spend everyone's tax dollars on this, i'd rather spend them on food and whatnot.

still, bookmarking that site for future perusing. it's a good idea.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

what do you mean by tax dollars?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Bane has a medical disability, he gets government money.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wtf? Bane doesnt have a medical disability.
    I know someone who has crohns and a liver transplant, and much worse off symptom wise than bane, and theyve been plugging away with it for 10 years now.
    The only reason bane needs assistance is because he's lazy and thinks he deserves it.

Edit. That was slightly on the mean side, but still, I dislike seeing people who are far better off than others thinking they have it so much worse off.
    Another crohns person I know is still in the hospital from her liver transplant over a month ago and is still there, yet she is the most bubbly and happy person there is, and will be jumping right back in to school and social life, along with a full time job once shes out.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    I know someone who has crohns and a liver transplant, and much worse off symptom wise than bane, and theyve been plugging away with it for 10 years now.
    The only reason bane needs assistance is because he's lazy and thinks he deserves it.

Edit. That was slightly on the mean side, but still, I dislike seeing people who are far better off than others thinking they have it so much worse off.
    Another crohns person I know is still in the hospital from her liver transplant over a month ago and is still there, yet she is the most bubbly and happy person there is, and will be jumping right back in to school and social life, along with a full time job once shes out.
    Yes because everyone reacts to each medical issue with the exact same symptoms at the exact same severity. Have you hung out with Bane in person for extended periods of time? I don't think you can judge how severe or not severe his symptoms are until you have.

Not to derail the thread but I like the idea in the OP I hope this or some other group is successful.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I've been a member for a year ish of Wolf-PAC florida. But for all the people who don't want/cant spend money, there are other alternatives than paying money, you can volunteer your time to call your representatives and state senators, you can go to wolf-pac website, join a state group and receive training on how to call your local state representative/senator.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post

lol you're dumb as shit.

but yeah, my only income is government assistance so if i donated to this it would be with other peoples' tax dollars which would amuse me greatly.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

oh I see.

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    I've been a member for a year ish of Wolf-PAC florida. But for all the people who don't want/cant spend money, there are other alternatives than paying money, you can volunteer your time to call your representatives and state senators, you can go to wolf-pac website, join a state group and receive training on how to call your local state representative/senator.
    this x1000. I feel like volunteering is the best way. How would you say the progress in Florida is going?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Didn't read anything but thread title but if we are talking about this Wolfpac

Sign me up! Tooooooo sweeeeeeet!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazmaz View Post
    oh I see.

this x1000. I feel like volunteering is the best way. How would you say the progress in Florida is going?
    Florida is going slow, out of 160 representatives, legislators, and senators maybe 5 or 6 is supportive. Rick Scott is up for re-election soon and if Charlie Christ got elected, this will be much easier with a progressive governor.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

And MayOne breaks 50% of the first month's goal.
    In only six days.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

I'm kicking in a few hundred just so it's on my fec report. The current PAC I give to will be bitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

And the first Mayone goal has been reached.
    In less than half the needed time.

If it holds the current rate though, 5m is gonna be near the wire.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Do you want to take a minute and write about what Mayone is doing? I still don't really understand it. As far as I can tell, they're raising up to $12M for 5 ridings in 2014? Didn't the Koch's already donate like $23M so far this year? How would $12M make a difference?

Also, what would happen if they mange to make the candidates that are "pro-reform" win in those 5 ridings, and then lose other pro-reform candidates in other ridings?

If you write a good explanation, I'll edit it into the OP/change the title.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast