+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Black Bullet     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    Anime itself is an advertisement for the source material.
    Now that's just bullshit. It brings the material to a larger/different audience, it doesn't tell the audience to go read the source material afterwards.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Now that's just bullshit.
    Um, no it's not? A majority of anime based on original material isn't focused on solely making money from BD sales, it exists in part to increase the readership of the original material. If you get lucky and end up with a hit, then that's just a bonus. (SAO, SnK, etc) If the BD sales were good/great, then you can probably expect a second season. If not, but the source material gained a decent boost in sales/readership then you might get a season season when the editors want to try and boost sales again. Gundam is similar in that it's advertising for people to buy the figures/models. Transformers was the same here in the states.

It brings the material to a larger/different audience, it doesn't tell the audience to go read the source material afterwards.
    It doesn't have to tell them to do anything, I'm wondering if you misunderstood me. It's something that's going to happen, something that they're planning on happening. When SnK aired, the old volumes were stocked in the front of manga stores. It's common business sense, it's something they factor in from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    Um, no it's not? A majority of anime based on original material isn't focused on solely making money from BD sales, it exists in part to increase the readership of the original material. If you get lucky and end up with a hit, then that's just a bonus. (SAO, SnK, etc) If the BD sales were good/great, then you can probably expect a second season. If not, but the source material gained a decent boost in sales/readership then you might get a season season when the editors want to try and boost sales again. Gundam is similar in that it's advertising for people to buy the figures/models. Transformers was the same here in the states.

It doesn't have to tell them to do anything, I'm wondering if you misunderstood me. It's something that's going to happen, something that they're planning on happening. When SnK aired, the old volumes were stocked in the front of manga stores. It's common business sense, it's something they factor in from the get-go.
    Yes it is, because you're assuming that all anime is made with the same purpose and that's just advertising for source material.

Whether you intend for it to be advertisement or not doesn't matter because each person is going to react to the end of a series differently. Do you think if the end of an anime series is shit (and generally, the whole anime) that serves as good advertisement? Nope. What if anime has no source material, what are they advertising then? How many people do you think after watching SAO went to buy the VN or LN or read the manga? I certainly didn't even though I knew about it, because I watch anime because I like ANIMATION. Go figure. Again, not everyone is going to react the same, so stop assuming that they will.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Somehow I'm skeptical that animation companies care about advertising writers. They care about their own profits, not the authors'. ._. That's also why often things are changed from the original work, cause it's all about the tv audience.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

They don't care about advertising the writers unless the writer is getting profits from the anime.

There would also be a potential situation where advertising the source would sell copies of the source, which will then sell copies of the anime, which will fund S2. And so on.