+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mahouka     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level

I'm trying to like the main characters, but given how much they talk about inequality, it seems somewhat weird to see a bunch of raging Mary Sues completely dismantle any opposition they face. They just seem so far above the rest of the world despite of the fact that they're supposed to be underprivileged; it feels like inequality was tossed into the whole scenario for the hell of it, kind of like rich people complaining about, well, even richer people, just that two people don't care in the slightest because they're so much richer than everyone else that they can't be bothered to give a damn (in secret, of course).

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The inequality bullshit is literally them wanking the Japanese social ideology.

This kind of class superiority bullshit goes on over there all the time.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    The inequality bullshit is literally them wanking the Japanese social ideology.

This kind of class superiority bullshit goes on over there all the time.
    Where DOESN'T class superiority go on, at least to some extent? Japan's no worse than anywhere else in that regard.
    What bugs me more about this story is ep6
    Spoiler: show
    where the whole TERRORIST SITUATION was instigated by a tiny misunderstanding?! The misunderstanding barely made sense. It just seemed so like grasping at straws to create any semblance of character motivation.

This show is so bad, for srs.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've heard that while this show is bad, recently it did some things that may make it barely worth watching. Is this true or should I just continue to stay away?

The animation isn't bad when it comes to fight scenes, but...there's nothing here really lol

I don't even remember what happened last episode.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Tatsuya owned everyone and Miyuki said onii-sama a number of times.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Man, this show. We get a long-winded techno babble explanation on why it's impossible to learn how to fly. 5 minutes later, Tatsuya casually makes a machine that lets people fly.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    Man, this show. We get a long-winded techno babble explanation on why it's impossible to learn how to fly. 5 minutes later, Tatsuya casually makes a machine that lets people fly.
    Well, supposedly he's the "genius" that advanced... whatever CAD technology by 10 years + other stuff, so sort of not surprised he would try to do it after talks about how its maybe not possible so he tried it.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've watched three episodes so far... and I'm surprised by how much I like this. Although Ayase saying "Onii-sama" was probably all I needed. I have to pause every now and then to reread explanations though-- I wonder if horriblesub's sub par typesetting is in part the cause for this though.

I might actually pick up the LNs for this.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Where DOESN'T class superiority go on, at least to some extent? Japan's no worse than anywhere else in that regard.
    What bugs me more about this story is ep6
    where the whole TERRORIST SITUATION was instigated by a tiny misunderstanding?! The misunderstanding barely made sense. It just seemed so like grasping at straws to create any semblance of character motivation.

This show is so bad, for srs.
    I think you're not seeing the depth here; you forgot that, if I'm not mistaken, it was magic by that evil guy that made her think she was being insulted. That's both cunning and vile, actually, a world in which terrorists can come up with plots of such depth should be doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Tatsuya turned out to be the second coming of Christ. I wanted a main character that is not an idiot, but Tatsuya is way too competent and the whole "Let's watch how awesome he is" gets terribly boring after a while. Supposedly, he has his shortcomings, but I wonder if any of that will actually be of importance since he seems to obliterate anyone and anything without breaking a sweat anyway.

The character interaction makes me scratch my head as well. Did Mibu actually say that Tatsuya was too awesome for her so she picked someone inferior to him as a boyfriend even though she was interested in Tatsuya? In front of both of them? What is wrong with those kids?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Aaaand finally caught up. Him doing the flying thing seemed perfectly reasonable to me, considering the reason it "can't" be done is because it involves canceling spells-- something he is the foremost expert on.

The only problem I have with Mahouka at all so far is that the explanations can sometimes be a bit too complex, and that there aren't more episodes for me to watch yet! >:O

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lepetit89 View Post
    I think you're not seeing the depth here; you forgot that, if I'm not mistaken, it was magic by that evil guy that made her think she was being insulted. That's both cunning and vile, actually, a world in which terrorists can come up with plots of such depth should be doomed.
    Yeah sorry, I forgot that being insulted by one person is grounds for letting loose a bunch of terrorists on some innocent schoolkids. (I also posted that before we found out what caused her memory to change )

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    I've heard that while this show is bad, recently it did some things that may make it barely worth watching. Is this true or should I just continue to stay away?
    At least there is not one boned head main male characters, with 514125123 females fall in love to him without any reasons, and those females keep beat him without any reason.

For miyuki classmate, the novel itself didn't mention it, but the author does make it clear on the side story manga. And actually he realize he skipped too much stuff and adding back in manga lol

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Yeah sorry, I forgot that being insulted by one person is grounds for letting loose a bunch of terrorists on some innocent schoolkids. (I also posted that before we found out what caused her memory to change )
    You raise a valid point! Though now that you put it that way, it sounds even more ridiculous than it did in my mind.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

He doesn't really have any shortcomings. Spoilers about him below, doesn't reveal anything integral about the plot though

He's unbeatable and never loses at any point; is only challenged one time and only by someone with a similar ability to his own. This is entirely while he's limited severely to well under half of his processing power by his family and Miyuki

If that limiter is removed he's capable of nuking entire cities, healing any injury, and even reviving the dead with minimal effort. He can cancel any magic whatsoever just by looking at it and cast any spell instantly. He's also physically the strongest and fastest person currently alive on the planet and authored the majority of all of the top-level magic engineering information under pseudonyms, which makes him also the smartest man currently alive on the planet as well.

You probably don't want to watch or read this unless you're alright with all of this ahead of time.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah, /a/ seems to have a major stick up their ass with it comes to overpowered "perfect" MCs. I blame SAO. Overpowered MCs are nothing new and definitely not bad imo. I get enjoyment from when people underestimate someone's true power and then he crushes their illusions. Things like Avatar or Nanoha also have overpowered main characters, but you don't see people raging over those shows, lol.

I've read the first volume and half the second volume so far. Almost caught up with the anime. Overall I'd say the anime has been more enjoyable so far, but the LN has definitely helped me better understand the confusing parts of the setting. I still can't fully understand how magic works and some of the explanations they give though; I almost want to say they've made them too confusing.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Yeah, /a/ seems to have a major stick up their ass with it comes to overpowered "perfect" MCs. I blame SAO. Overpowered MCs are nothing new and definitely not bad imo. I get enjoyment from when people underestimate someone's true power and then he crushes their illusions. Things like Avatar or Nanoha also have overpowered main characters, but you don't see people raging over those shows, lol.

I've read the first volume and half the second volume so far. Almost caught up with the anime. Overall I'd say the anime has been more enjoyable so far, but the LN has definitely helped me better understand the confusing parts of the setting. I still can't fully understand how magic works and some of the explanations they give though; I almost want to say they've made them too confusing.
    By my advice, don't try to understand it. The story was written by a novice writer as a web novel during that period. So... there are too many not well written flaw flying here and there

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yeah Avatar had a technically overpowered MC, but he didn't have access to all his abilities right away - he had to work for them. And suffer quite a bit along the way for them. He had many chances to die due to his weakness at the time, or give up because it was too hard, etc. He only made it to the end because of the support of his friends and the people around him, and only ended up practically all-powerful because of some deus-ex-machina spirit turtle shit (and Nanoha is the same deal more or less). That is not the case with the kind of OP MCs we're talking about right now, who pretty much need little help if any at all and don't have to try very hard to overcome situations because they're OP from the get-go.

I have a problem with OP MCs too, it's just way too easy for them. It goes from "hero's journey" to "who cares, he'll kill anything that gets in his way so easily, so why bother watching".

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So I read volume three, and I have now solidified my position on the MC. He's definitely not as perfect as most people make him out to be. There exist severe trade offs for his powers, which go well beyond being bad with general magic. I feel really sad for him.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Aaaand now I've read 7 volumes. I've realized that I read this only because of Mayumi and the anticipation of people who think he's shit finding out he's really actually hax. The way the magical system "realistically" incorporates physics also keeps my interests piqued.