Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Aaaand finished volume 7. I've realized that I only read this for Mayumi and the anticipation of watching people who think Tatsuya is shit finding out he's actually really hax. Also the way magic "realistically" incorporates physics keeps my interests piqued. Volume 6 felt a bit boring to me, but it was all a setup for everything that happens in volume 7. Anime should probably cover up to the end of volume 7, I hope.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    Aaaand finished volume 7. I've realized that I only read this for Mayumi and the anticipation of watching people who think Tatsuya is shit finding out he's actually really hax. Also the way magic "realistically" incorporates physics keeps my interests piqued. Volume 6 felt a bit boring to me, but it was all a setup for everything that happens in volume 7. Anime should probably cover up to the end of volume 7, I hope.
    If Tatsuya turns out to be slightly more sympathetic and/or not absolutely overpowered, then I'm all for it, but introducing him as barely likeable and unstoppable and leaving it that way for a large part of the story does not make for an overly enthralling plot or exciting battles respectively, especially if he seems to be the centre of the universe and characters keep talking about him even when he's off-screen.

Actually, it's a bit of a waste that the side-characters hardly get any attention since there are quite a few characters I'm genuinely interested in.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Episode 9

Spoiler: show
    Fucking lol @ class pres. Magic Jesus just invented flying. He doesn't care how your tits look in your new dress.

Also, I cringed hard at Mikihiko.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've been quite disappointed with the anime as of late. Leaving out certain scenes. Leaving out magic explanations. Skipping a lot of inner mono/dialogs. Leaving out, imo, important lines. Getting the atmosphere for certain scenes wrong or not up to par. Meh pacing. Questionable music choices for scenes. etc.

It's really making me glad I picked up the LN so early into it.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The adaption is pretty awful if you know the source material. Most people that do are only watching it because they want to see the climactic stuff, which is obviously going to all be animated.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

There's actually a guy on Reddit that does LN/anime comparisons every week and they're pretty.. intense. Here's the latest one: link. His jimmies get a bit rustled whenever there's a significant change to how a character is portrayed, especially when it concerns Saegusa. Apparently the anime left out a whole sadistic side she has, or something.

Having not read the light novels I have no basis of comparison, but I think the series is OK once you get past the MC's OPness. Rushing through source material to fit everything into X amount of episodes is nothing new when it comes to LN to anime adaptations. I actually could do without the techobabble since I have no burning desire to understand made up physics for made up magic.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I was pretty annoyed that Juumonji didn't offer up the Saegusa twin imoutos as marriage candidates as well. It would have been an extra 10-15 seconds within the same scene, but nooooo. The magic system, how it integrates with actual physics, and the whole cloak and dagger stuff regarding the underworld of the setting and 10 master clans is what keeps me interested. The characters all being who they are helps as well-- but you just don't get the same characterization when they skip stuff.

If they skip Saegusa's library scene with Tatsuya, tables will be fucking flipped.

Just started watching it, and liking it so far. I'm actually going to avoid reading the LNs since it seems like it would make watching the anime insufferable lol ;o

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    If they skip Saegusa's library scene with Tatsuya, tables will be fucking flipped.
    Your table may remain upright.

Radsourceful

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Just started watching it, and liking it so far. I'm actually going to avoid reading the LNs since it seems like it would make watching the anime insufferable lol ;o
    I was in the same boat, but read up to the end of NSC books as that arc ended, and the books go into a great amount of more detail as to his situation/abilities - even if you don't read them first, they're definitely worthwhile if you enjoy the show.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Ep 24

Our messiah who already has a plethora of OP spells and forbidden jutsu had a limiter on this entire time? Can't wait until next week for him to unveil his true power.

Pretty sure they implied that earlier? At the very least, it's not hard to assume.

I do like that you can tell the quality of an episode by how much onii-sama is said.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It's a guilty pleasure of mine to see an OP main character be even more OP than was already shown. I look forward to him kicking more asses and taking more names, with no fucks to give whatsoever.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Stuff from next week

Are you looking forward to Jesus returning to heaven in the next episode?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The reason for Imouto spilling out her ice every now and then is because she's constantly holding back Onii-sama via that seal.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Well, S1 is over.

Have you praised your lord and saviour today?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

25 was underwhelming and 26 made it up with those giant explosions. Kinda disappointed by the limiter removal though, but only because I was expecting Super Saiyan level of power.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Super Saiyan level of power?

Material Burst converts matter into energy at an absolute ratio. He generated that first explosion from the matter of a single drop of water. The second one, which was 20 Mt (Tsar Bomba was 50 Mt) was from converting a flag.

1 kg of energy resulted in a 20 Mt blast. Conversion:

1 ton = 907 kg
    20 Mt = 18,140,000,000 kg
    Thus, for each kg of force Tatsuya can generate 18,140,000,000 kg of energy in an explosion.

The average human is 62 kg, so let's multiply that.

I'll save you the math, it's 1125 Mt. 22.5 times the largest nuclear blast ever detonated.

Now what if he converted a car? Or a battleship. You do the math.

He can convert anything. Bodies, rocks, ships. He could generate force enough to destroy the planet easily, and that's why the gun is locked up.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh damn, didn't realize it was that complicated. But wasn't that achieved with the gun/suit he used though? How much of it does it have to do with his abilities as the caster?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Overall I'd say I wasn't really satisfied with the adaptation for the yokohama arc. Not even taking into account how they skipped the entirety of v5 due to bad pacing; they skipped or slightly altered some parts in the arc I felt were important. More importantly though, there were a lot of small subtle things things they didn't animate properly enough, or they left out a single sentence in an explanation, that caused the viewer to get the wrong impression.

Miyuki's cocytus is a mental magic that freezes the soul/mind.
    They offscreened Tats restore, their injuries/bodies should have looked like they were being rewinded.
    Tats face didn't change at all when he used regrowth, he looked perfectly fine. He was even smiling. He was supposed to have just felt a metric shit ton of pain. There should have been wincing at the very least, I would have even accepted a poker face, but a smile? Just no.
    Before Regrowths explanation, they simply asked if it was Healing Magic, instead of breaking the silence by asking how long they have until the injury reappears without additional recasts.
    Ichihara never got held hostage at knifepoint, only to subdue the perpetrator by using magic without her cad.
    They didn't explain how Mayumi's Icicle Drop forces CO2 into the lungs causing the white tiger to pass out.
    etc

Quote Originally Posted by Skai View Post
    Oh damn, didn't realize it was that complicated. But wasn't that achieved with the gun/suit he used though? How much of it does it have to do with his abilities as the caster?
    The seal that was on him is minor, it only limits his overall abilities (processing speed, psion output, etc). Even without his sister restricting him, I believe his standardized technical skills/scores are still low enough to be "weed"-level. And he can only cast general magic due to the fake calculation area put into his mind (which as a side effect lets him flash cast hax). His one and only ability (He's a BS, born specialized, magician) is the ability to read/manipulate information bodies (eidos). He also has an insanely large psion count. Gram Demolition is just him flinging basic psions.

Gram Dispersion is him disassembling magic. Mist Dispersion is him disassembling structures/physical things into basic elements/molecules/etc. Material Burst is him disassembling matter into pure energy. Regrowth is him copy pasting old eidos over newer eidos. All of these abilities are just different applications of his one true ability.

He can do all of them without the suit, without the gun, and even without a CAD. The only magical assistance he got from his suit is the flying magic. Third-Eye is simply a CAD designed specifically as a targeting device for his material burst, allowing him to use it easier on far away things. His normal CADs simply utilize loop cast to make it easier for him to use his abilities quicker.