Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Making friends     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm in Florida, there aren't a lot of hockey fans either tbh.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Convert them, with beer.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

you're in florida, your chances of finding regular people are fucked anyway. besides... you're not normal in any capacity; you argue with people you'll NEVER meet over some of the dumbest shit to ever grace the internet. Take a look inside, and stop being so judgemental.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Having done about 6 months of Meetup partly for the same reasons, I can draw a few conclusions:

-You won't be the weirdest person there. Already met some dude who refused to give out his name, occupation and spent 2 hours deathstaring the event.
    -If you do a Meetup, try to find someone you can tag along to future events with. It helps with retention and makes you feel less awkward.
    -Speaking of retention, I tend to skip events if less than 10 people RSVP to show up. Meetups tend to pull 40% of the people that sign up so in the interest of not wasting time, set some standards.
    -Movies meetups tend to suck, similar to a date. You can't speak, people wander off after it's over and if I wanted to watch movies I'd just Netflix it.
    -Try to sucker whoever is the leader to setup events you may want to attend but not alone. People will likely show.
    -If all else fails, find some cheap place to drink and socialize.

I've met some cool people so far doing karaoke, bar crawling, board games and other geeky type events. I've also watched people skip out on dinner bills leaving people to cover their tab, the group thrown out of a bar for not drinking enough, drunken brawling (nerds fighting squee!), some real creeper types show up and YMMV but it's worth a shot.

If nothing less people Meetup just to talk about Game of Thrones.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

i want to see nerds fight; where do i sign up

bonus points for shovel tossing

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

On the real, that sounds kind of cool.

I am also thinking I might take a sewing or painting class at Michael's because I'd like to learn one or both of those things.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

game of thrones meet up I think would be kinda awkward haha. idk, watching nakies with strangers...

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    On the real, that sounds kind of cool.

I am also thinking I might take a sewing or painting class at Michael's because I'd like to learn one or both of those things.
    crafting is definitely a way to be doing something while chewing the shit with people. I love sewing circles.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    crafting is definitely a way to be doing something while chewing the shit with people. I love sewing circles.
    Make sure you stand facing SE for HQ.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

With that said, I haven't tried this yet, but I hear it is amazing:

http://www.meetup.com/
    Just joined a few Denver meetups. Really excited to go on walks, picnics, hikes now that winter left for awhile. Obviously the more social (belligerent?) options are out there like CUP-IN-HAND KICKBALL. holy shit I did not know such a game existed. Thank you meetup & ksan, ronan too

Has to be something for everyone with sufficient population density. I think you and CS got that.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    i want to see nerds fight; where do i sign up

bonus points for shovel tossing
    LARPing

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    Just joined a few Denver meetups. Really excited to go on walks, picnics, hikes now that winter left for awhile. Obviously the more social (belligerent?) options are out there like CUP-IN-HAND KICKBALL. holy shit I did not know such a game existed. Thank you meetup & ksan, ronan too

Has to be something for everyone with sufficient population density. I think you and CS got that.
    lol np. I found about it on the mommy forums I go to. There are a lot of new mothers desperate to meet others with kids of the same age so at least they can play together, so you'll probably notice a lot of mom groups on there.

I think this thread is going to finally kick me into gear to actually try some of the groups. Ronin has some great tips.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Its a stupid fitness program, but I know Aks wants to get in shape and make friends; why not try Crossfit? Crossfit peeps get so into that crap and all become BFFs together over that cult crap. Two birds, one stone.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Not to mention when I say "friends" I am talking about people I can actually share things with, not just talk about the local sports team or what was on last night's episode of <Insert Show>. I actually would like to make a friend (or two) that I could talk to about legitimate stuff, like being broke or a fight with my mom, you know? I don't necessarily think coworkers are the right speed for that.

I guess to hang out for a few beers that's another story.
    You're looking for super secret handshake bff right off the hop. You gotta ween your way into that shit.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Join a coed beer league kickball / softball team; kickball if you're really not athletic. Works even better if you're dating someone because you won't dip your pen in company ink. I was captain of a team and met a ton of people, unfortunately I hooked up with two girls on the team and things got a bit awkward. I play lacrosse on the weekends pretty seriously; have met some cool guys doing it.

It's part of getting older regardless though. I have like 15 close friends from college; live with two, another nearby, but most are spread from LA to NYC. In college you played beer pong with some kids, enjoyed hanging out with a subset, and boom you had a million friends. These days finding new "bros" is tough; I work a ton and can't be bothered. I have like 10 close friends in DC and that's enough at 28.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Aks needs legit friends not cult crossfit. Cause when the lunges are over, you need some more substance to quality friendships.

Not like need-need or anything. Your shtuff seems cool enough from the little we may know. It's just your thread, your need, sorta thing... (*'-');;'

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is this the thread where we make friends?

Nobutrly, shit is tough for some people. I have a hard time breaking the initial meeting barrier, but after that I can pretty much talk to anyone. Also, I'm going to echo finding a hobby and hanging out with some people who also enjoy it. Shoot the shit over a beer after one of the hobby get togethers and just talk; if they're potentially going to be a friend you'll fall into a conversation with them quite easily. I find that it helps to pick up on little things in the conversation and ask them about it, something you can relate to and keep the flow of the conversation going. I've had "good" friends before that I just couldn't talk to because nothing kept the conversation flowing. If you can help facilitate that process, you'll be golden.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I feel ya. When I moved to Cali I found myself talking mostly with friends from back home and internet buddies on vent. Going back to get my cert helped as I made a few friends from classmates. HAving kids really helped with connecting with some acquaintances who had kids around the same time so we are closer.

With that said, I haven't tried this yet, but I hear it is amazing:

http://www.meetup.com/

There is actually a nerdy parents group in my area that I've been meaning to try, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The biggest hurdle is to not be shy about going, but if you do, just remember everyone joined that group because they probably felt the same way as you (wanting to hang out with people and had no one to hang out with).
    I just went on that website to see what's in my area

witch covens, wikken meet ups, and witch covens who ride motorcycles

halp

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I just went on that website to see what's in my area

witch covens, wikken meet ups, and witch covens who ride motorcycles

halp
    Don't you live in the buttfuck of LA? Are you surprised?

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Don't you live in the buttfuck of LA? Are you surprised?
    Lancaster, yea lol

The only one that surprised me was the coven on motorcycles, I didn't know that was a thing.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast