+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    yeap cuz DS was turbl and everything in MoP except the raiding has been turbl
    Dude Challenge Modes are awesome.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Some perspective:

I also like how it gained almost 2M subscribers after that South Park episode.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It'd be cool with some other colors overlaying all the tiny hills that'd be other MMOs' subscriber counts. You'd need to segment out / zoom in to some higher resolution Y-axis for those 100k-500k subscriber bases.

It really is pretty incredible.

People leaving WoW towards the end of an expansion is nothing new. Subs will hike up again at start of WoD and then drop down again. Game is old, most of the people who started out in Vanilla are long since gone, same for people who began in BC. Myself I always go fuck around on new MMOs now and take long breaks from WoW but end up back to it because of time investment in it and because...why the fuck not? Am I going to go play SWTOR or TESO? As much as I enjoyed FF14, the lack of overall end content and the boring leveling left me wanting a bit more to do. (At least TERA had fun leveling for melee; which kept me hooked for awhile).

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Sounds a lot like what I do. I used to go back and forth between WoW and FF11 when other games weren't fulfilling my needs, but FF11 is not the same at all anymore and I know 0 people that play it still lol.

Starting over entirely as horde has given me quite a bit to catch up on, so, at least I have that going for me for a while.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    It'd be cool with some other colors overlaying all the tiny hills that'd be other MMOs' subscriber counts. You'd need to segment out / zoom in to some higher resolution Y-axis for those 100k-500k subscriber bases.

It really is pretty incredible.
    The number of MMOs that sustained >500k accounts/subs since the launch of Lich King is in the single digits. It's hard to say if any of them made a dent in WoW's numbers considering the target markets don't overlap a whole lot (EVE, Second Life), and the ones that do burn brightly but then fade away quickly (SWTOR, Aion). We'd need the graph to start in 2012 for those other games to be anything other than vertical lines.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    People leaving WoW towards the end of an expansion is nothing new.
    /thread

while it may be fun to say wow is dying, the dip is because of no new promise of new content until wod, been this way in every expansion if you'd played through them you'd know

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

More people leave than resub

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    /thread

while it may be fun to say wow is dying, the dip is because of no new promise of new content until wod, been this way in every expansion if you'd played through them you'd know
    I like how people say this all the time when the facts show it never happened before cata.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I'll be the first to admit the game isn't "dying", going anywhere, or going to be really affected by this anytime soon and still quintuples the user base of any other mmo... But there are more leaving than resubbing and that's not changing. It'll keep declining, and at 4 mil in 3 years it's declining quick. It'll survive on low numbers of at least 1 mil forever, and it'll take a long time before it gets that low, but that is one hell of an alarming rate. After cata, shits changed.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I'll be the first to admit the game isn't "dying", going anywhere, or going to be really affected by this anytime soon and still quintuples the user base of any other mmo... But there are more leaving than resubbing and that's not changing. It'll keep declining, and at 4 mil in 3 years it's declining quick. It'll survive on low numbers of at least 1 mil forever, and it'll take a long time before it gets that low, but that is one hell of an alarming rate. After cata, shits changed.
    WoW's death is probably where the trending lines are for large-scale MMOs in general. Once WoW is 'dead' AAA publishers will abandon the space just like they do with other types of games that no longer meet their revenue requirements. There will always be a market for the 500-750k MMOs and that's where anything new and sustainable will have to aim for. But Blizzard will be fine. One more SC2 expansion and their f2p/mobile efforts are doing extremely well. I've got good odds on something unannounced at this year's Blizzcon. No, it won't be Titan or another MMO.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Actually, if you look at the charts, I would hardly say it is declining "quick". A slow slide since Cata, that's about it.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Actually, if you look at the charts, I would hardly say it is declining "quick". A slow slide since Cata, that's about it.
    Game has lost 4.5 million subscribers in 3 years.
    That's not a slow slide.

Ridill
    BG Level

What blows my mind is that they did this shit where they tried to "make the world more engaging" and shit by forcing us to the ground, and then forcing us into insane amounts of dailies when we hit 90, which setup the biggest drop in the history of the game...

And judging by their discussions on flying mounts, their apparent strategy with WoD is to go balls to the wall on that shit that drove so many people away...

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I hate questing and dailies. I want to log on, pvp, or log on and raid. No, you have to farm coins for an hour to get bonus rolls, or you have to farm rep for this, or do this for your legendary.

Put oranges back to rare drops, bring back warglaives, stop adding more repetitiveness to an already repetitive game.

"well you don't HAVE to farm coins and you don't NEED bonus rolls or a legendary cloak" fuck that noise, of course you have to and it's stupid. Bring back TBC. Use the same loot system, none of this different difficulty and ilvl shit, make 10 man's drop more loot. Games saved.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

If you literally have to farm more than 30 minutes to get 50 lesser charms ur doin it rong.

We have no good frame of reference for whether or not the sub decline is 'quick' or 'slow' since most MMOs drop subs like a rock (within 4 months of launch). It took them ~2.75 years to go from 9M to 12M. Counting an equivalent number of quarters since that peak they didn't lose all those subscribers at the same rate they gained them, and there aren't enough data points since the end of cataclysm to compare this new era of attrition to the last. So the decline is slower than, say, SWTOR, but it's also slower than its growth. It certainly isn't noticeably faster than anything, either.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    If you literally have to farm more than 30 minutes to get 50 lesser charms ur doin it rong.
    I disagree, takes about 45 min on average for me as prot but that's while doing other things on a top 7 pop server.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I don't think you need to compare it to other games in order to determine if it's quick or slow. 12 million down to 7.5 in that amount of time is fast period.

Ridill
    BG Level

I disagree, takes about 45 min on average for me as prot but that's while doing other things on a top 7 pop server.
    you're doing it wrong

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

How many of WoWs subscribers are NA/European players? I've always been under the assumption that sub 2million are actual Western players and most of WoWs playerbase is from china