+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    blax n gunz
    BG Level

WoW at 6.8 million subscribers

Source: Q1 2014 Results

Down 700k yoy

As of March 31, 2014, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft remains the #1
    subscription-based MMORPG, with approximately 7.6 million subscribers.⁵

1 million preorders already for WoD, which is equal to the bump in subs they got from Mists, but back then their subscriber base was 10 million. WoD will likely bring them back to 2013 numbers but I see no reasons why the trend of 1M spike, 2.5 million lost two years later won't continue.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Spoiler: show
    not

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post

Spoiler: show
    not
    It's hard to deny the downward trend. The best part though is that they can continue to lose subscribers at this rate until 2017 or 2019 and still have more active subs than any other subscription MMO in history.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    It's hard to deny the downward trend. The best part though is that they can continue to lose subscribers at this rate until 2017 or 2019 and still have more active subs than any other subscription MMO in history.
    Ya I am not denying it, I just think these threads are getting boring and are pointless. We all know it's going down. Let me know when they are down to 300k members or something.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

it relies on how good the expansion actually is, considering the subscribers lost were mostly people who thought that MoP was a substantial step down from the previous expansions.

if the level of quality is back where it was a few years ago during burning crusade and early wrath, I could see them gaining and staying there for a while.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Ya I am not denying it, I just think these threads are getting boring and are pointless. We all know it's going down. Let me know when they are down to 300k members or something.
    The numbers are all that matter as the attrition rate will dictate future reinvestment in the game. Two out of the four touted franchises in their Q1 report are f2p games. I'm sorry thinking or talking about this is boring to you, but there are other threads to post in, thankfully.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

The numbers are all that matter as the attrition rate will dictate future reinvestment in the game. Two out of the four touted franchises in their Q1 report are f2p games. I'm sorry thinking or talking about this is boring to you, but there are other threads to post in, thankfully.
    q.q. I can post I find these constant threads pointless just as much as you can post that you find it's important.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

q.q. I can post I find these constant threads pointless just as much as you can post that you find it's important.
    My last thread on this exact topic was exactly a year ago. Stop being a bitch lol.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

My last thread on this exact topic was exactly a year ago. Stop being a bitch lol.
    You aren't the only one posting this stuff! (I am not really attacking just saying it's not a big deal to me.)

This is the most pointless argument.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    This is the most pointless argument.
    I actually agree.

Ridill
    BG Level

It'll be 5.x by the time WoD releases.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    It'll be 5.x by the time WoD releases.
    This would require them to lose nearly 600k subscribers per quarter until WoD releases, an event scheduled for this FY. Not a realistic prediction. The WoD pre-order numbers are likely contributing in no small part to keeping the attrition down compared to the Cata -> Mists transition.

Ridill
    BG Level

cata -> mists transition ended on a timeline that puts it about a month from now, WoD is 6 months out

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

what was the peak? 12m? 14m? Never got to play WoW.. and to think, I only bought XI to warm me up to the MMO genre before getting WoW. (really liked D2 and WC3 most recently..)

Agreed on pointlessness in a way. The peak's clearly in the past. And it's still by far and away the poster-child game in the genre. You got nowhere to go but down once so popular you get an entire South Park episode.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    what was the peak? 12m? 14m? Never got to play WoW.. and to think, I only bought XI to warm me up to the MMO genre before getting WoW. (really liked D2 and WC3 most recently..)

Agreed on pointlessness in a way. The peak's clearly in the past. And it's still by far and away the poster-child game in the genre. You got nowhere to go but down once so popular you get an entire South Park episode.
    I think they saw an increase and actually peaked after that episode. It started declining rapidly when there were jokes on conan and fallon about it on late night tv and randomly in tv shows and movies.

There was a hot lawyer show recently and they used wintergrasp as an example and showed about 15 seconds of play time. Game died there.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

are you guys all new? lol it's the end of the expansion.. everyone always deactivates towards the end of an expansion to wait until the next one, especially after they've ran the raid a few times.

this has always happened, i'm surprised they even have that many. still 8x any other mmo but yeah.. i'd say wow is a long ways from dying

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Not dying, not close to death. Just on the downhill side of the peak, even though, yes, its peak dwarfs all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I think they saw an increase and actually peaked after that episode. It started declining rapidly when there were jokes on conan and fallon about it on late night tv and randomly in tv shows and movies.
    That's kinda interesting. I loved the ep, but even I felt some shame of sorts knowing my keyboarded hours. Not everyone needs to see D rings in the treasure pool, but apparently I had to go fight for them.

I've never been able to tell non-gamers what MMO I played for 2-3 years. They hear Final Fantasy Online, and they walk away saying Warcraft.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    are you guys all new? lol it's the end of the expansion.. everyone always deactivates towards the end of an expansion to wait until the next one, especially after they've ran the raid a few times.

this has always happened, i'm surprised they even have that many. still 8x any other mmo but yeah.. i'd say wow is a long ways from dying
    Game has lost 4.5 million subscribers in 3 years.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Game has lost 4.5 million subscribers in 3 years.
    yeap cuz DS was turbl and everything in MoP except the raiding has been turbl