• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

FFXIV - Unable to zone into Steps of Thal

Can't zone into this place on any characters, new install on a new machine. All other areas (so far) seem fine. Pretty sure the problem is a bad DAT file.

I'm not entirely sure how the FFXIV DAT system works, but is there a way to run a file check that will catch the problem?

Alternately, is there someone who knows which file is which that could send me a "good" copy of the Steps of Thal zone file?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

ffxiv isn't individual files. it's one big container file. no way to part it out. No way for a single file to become corrupt either.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

What happens when you try to zone in?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Got an unexpected error, with (2) (17) in it. Reinstalling fixed it. Unfortunately, I've been having tons of issues with various stuff (mostly Windows) on this new machine.

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd try running HD Tune, especially if it's new. Might have a hard drive with bad sectors on it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

HD Tune is coming up with a substantial amount of "red blocks" on the error scan, but Chkdsk for bad sectors is coming up clean.

Some poking around google tells me that I should probably:

1) Try a different SATA cable
    2) If that fails, replace the hard drive (frickin' hell...)

Got any other ideas I should try before I have to go with option two?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Go with option 2 and get an SSD.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Go with option 2 and get an SSD.
    100x this.

I yell at my friend with a normal drive all the time because of his atrocious load times. XD "get a damn solid state!" They're amazing and you'll never go back.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

As for the SSD, does it help stuff like loading zones in FFXIV?

Obviously, I'd want my OS (Windows 7) on it, and possibly FFXIV, if it's worth it.

I've dumped close to $2,000 and various shit this week, so I wasn't going to spring for the 1 TB SSD (sales guy told me it's at least $400), but I might eventually get a smaller one for Windows and FFXIV.

If so, what steps would I want to take to get it working the way I want?

1: Setup BIOS to boot from SSD, and install Windows on it from the disc (and leave it that way...) and...

2: Uninstall FFXIV from HDD, and install it on SSD?

Also, what size SSD would be optimal? Sales guy at Microcenter told me I could get away with a 120 GB, but I worry that might not be enough down the line.

I might have gone with a smallish SSD today, if I wasn't already so mindfucked over the 349504385 Windows reinstalls, tech support calls, failed reboots, failed updates, FFXIV crashes and wonky drivers.

So far, this hard drive seems like a winner. No issues at all, and everything seems to be way faster and not hanging up like it was before. Downloading FFXIV's update now - so that might be the real test.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Yes it will vastly decrease the time it takes you to do everything. Opening folders, files, programs, anything that requires a read/write from/to the drive. Down to the time it takes you to boot into windows, about 5 seconds on a SSD from boot to ready to open whatever and do whatever. This includes zoning and loading models and blah blah for video games.

I have a 120GB for games, mind you I play only MMOs and the occasional release. It's been more than enough. SSD is OS+games only usually, which is why you can get away with 120. 250 if you want to be safe? 1TB is complete overkill. Would be like if you wanted everything on one drive, which isn't really smart. (in terms of cost, drive lifespan)

And pretty much, for step 1 and 2.

Oh, and I'm on SATA2 SSD, which is slower than the standard 3 today. I could go faster, but I'm waiting for this one to die.

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you do go with an SSD, I suggest putting your OS and any load heavy programs/games (MMOs) on it, while keeping a regular and much larger hard drive for general files and less important programs.