+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AidenCarby View Post
    Would be thge ultimate catch 22 for the Christians lol, since they're all against abortion but also hate the gays which would they pick?
    If Oklahoma is any indication of what might happen, they would choose Not to have children. Quite possibly Ban it.

Isn't it medically inevitable that we will be able to bio-engineer every aspect of our offspring?

This topic is sorta just segway on the way there. But seeing as how there is very little you can do short of abortion, which would be contradictory to anti-gay pro-lifers (usually go hand in hand), there is very little use to this information.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Isn't it medically inevitable that we will be able to bio-engineer every aspect of our offspring?
    Rapture didn't work out, though.

It also depends on gender; we had the plan to abort all hetero-males and all homo-females until appropriate offspring get. Or was it the other way around?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

As Canith said, I think this boils down to whether a fetus's genetic code is private. If it is private, it takes away some of the woman's choice rights. If it isn't, then ya I could see gattica happening down the line.

Well I don't forsee a Gattaca happening, it would be up to the parents I would think. Although somewhat related, I also foresee government mandated number of children allowed, ala China. Need that desperately across the globe for population control, that or blast off more people into space.

Population control honestly isn't that important. I forget the exact figures, but the U.S. is capable of supporting a population that's something like two or three times what it currently has, purely from a food, water, and land perspective. The first thing we need is population-density control. It's either that, or we need to figure out a way to farm on skyscrapers, or transport matter instantaneously, because the growing urban landscape is unsustainable.

Back on topic - stop trying to give fetuses rights. The moment you give them personhood, you give them the right to live. You're arguing yourself into a future headache of cognitive dissonance. A fetus isn't a person, and it has no rights. Checking the fetus' genetic code is like doing a biopsy to determine if a tumor is malignant.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Personally I think genetic "cherry-picking" is retarded.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I agree, but again, who's rights is it? The woman's right to cherry pick, or the fetus's right to privacy?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I agree, but again, who's rights is it? The woman's right to cherry pick, or the fetus's right to privacy?
    Long-term you gotta get that child permit and you are handed/implanted with an offspring. Government decided.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    Long-term you gotta get that child permit and you are handed/implanted with an offspring. Government decided.

Ya, that's not pro-choice either.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Aristio View Post
    Nope. Honestly, it would be the small minority of assholes that would abort gay fetuses that would ruin it for the rest of everyone else. The intention is good; I could definitely see the advantages of knowing in advance. But in reality, I don't think I could stomach anymore hate for people who would abort gay fetuses just for the fetus turning out gay.
    This.

If I were the parent, I wouldn't mind knowing because it wouldn't affect my love for my child. But because some people would misuse this, I wouldn't want anyone to be told.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Well, usually don't post here, but I'd definitely be in the crowd of letting people do what they want if they could find this out. I guess it could be nice to help your child through being gay if you knew about it beforehand instead of them feeling like they need to fit in and trying to not be what they are

edit: I honestly don't know how I feel about people wanting to abort gay children though. It seems like the types that would want to do so would also be against abortion lol. But, I guess there could be quite a few that hate gay people just because.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    edit: I honestly don't know how I feel about people wanting to abort gay children though. It seems like the types that would want to do so would also be against abortion lol.
    Ya this is actually another reason people are against it. Those that would care are usually those that are pro-life. People are afraid that once the baby is born, then from day one the parents would be trying to "fix" it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

edit: I honestly don't know how I feel about people wanting to abort gay children though. It seems like the types that would want to do so would also be against abortion lol. But, I guess there could be quite a few that hate gay people just because.
    I am very interested in seeing some on the spot interviews of those who are already outspoken about being anti abortion and gay. Of course everyone would try to back pedal though.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm sure they would claim theres some loophole in the bible that allows for aborting for gays because its the lesser evil or some other bullshit.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

And remember, it's ultimately not just gay children. There are likely people who would abort mixed race children, gingers (yes, there really are people who have a hate on for redheads as bad as any racist), and in situations like China, children of a gender that is undesired for social reasons.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Eh, if my embryo has trisomy 21 or something, I'm not going to feel particularly bad about aborting.

im pro-knowledge

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    gingers (yes, there really are people who have a hate on for redheads as bad as any racist)
    Seems I hear this publicly far, far more than any other "typical" racist remark nowadays, probably combined. Suppose people feel it's socially acceptable and they don't need to hide it. Perhaps even feeling clever if they saw it in media.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Eh, if my embryo has trisomy 21 or something, I'm not going to feel particularly bad about aborting.
    I'm talking about artificially selecting genes, not people.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Says the one with the cute children!