+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Quixon View Post
    Christians would have a bigger issue with the simple presence of a "Gay Gene" so to speak. They believe being gay is a choice. The discovery of a "Gay Gene" would completely fuck their entire stance on the subject all together.
    only some christian sects believe it is a choice.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I hope it would be illegal, unless they could only find when it's 'too late for an abortion'

Cuz i know alot of people who wouldn't be born if that was the case

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    yea this is what i said, not your other post.
    A good, I did not misunderstand your statement then. Your position is that privacy is completely invalid.

Lets see
    Privacy is the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves or information about themselves, and thereby express themselves selectively.
    So, if privacy is invalid, you have no choice in what you are allowed to express about yourself, all must be presented. Consequently, I have access to anything I want to examine about you.

Any complaints so far?

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Quixon View Post
    As a soon to be parent, I would be shitting you to say I never thought about this type of thing (crippling disease specifically). I know people who have kids with Downs, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, etc. They love their kids unconditionally, but at the same time these people have absolutely no life what so ever. Especially in the case with the kid that has C. Palsy, the kid is basically a vegetable.

I applaud them for their courage and will to give their kid a good life. I honestly would have no desire to deal with any of that shit for 12 months.... let alone 18+ years. I can't help but feel bad saying that, but it is what it is.
    Soon to have a child as well, and when we were asked if we wanted the fetus to be tested for the "major crippling diseases"(I had no idea this even existed), I couldn't care less for it to be tesetd. It doesn't matter to me if my child is born with a disease, my blood is my blood, and you never know what lies down the road to making life better for people with these diseases, you don't know what medical break throughs there will be, or if there will be a cure, so to kill something without giving it any chance of life doesn't make sense to me. If my child ends up being born with a major problem, then I'll deal with it just as I deal with every other problem life has thrown at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    A good, I did not misunderstand your statement then. Your position is that privacy is completely invalid.

Lets see

So, if privacy is invalid, you have no choice in what you are allowed to express about yourself, all must be presented. Consequently, I have access to anything I want to examine about you.

Any complaints so far?
    nope, this is correct.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

In order to argue that statement, we must progress to examining the consequences of it. Since you say there is no degree of privacy, I choose to step to what's considered the extreme limit of privacy, the thoughts in your own skull.

Normally, you can chose not to express them, either by staying silent, or lying. Now for a purely theoretic argument, we'd say you're just compelled not to take those options. In reality, you still could.
    But, since we agree privacy is the same regardless of the environment, we can wind the clock forward.

The technology to make your thoughts public by means outside your own will does not currently exist, but it's precursors are already being used in experiments.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/mind-machines.html
    The mindreading computer is given a pair of my brain scans: one when I was thinking of a grape, the other, of a cave. But which is which?

If the shelter area of my brain lights up, the computer guesses I was thinking "cave." Since the other scan shows activity in the food and handling areas, it guesses that a "grape" was on my mind.

And was it right?

The computer is correct. Number one.

Picking between two words, the computer's chances are 50-50. But can it keep it up?

Two for two!

Oh, it got nine correct.

And the 10th was correct, also. Nicely done, 10 out of 10. That's unbelievable!

For all 10 pairs, the computer gets it right, and that's pretty impressive.

It's a far cry from walking down the street with a device that could read the everyday thoughts of passersby, but it's enough to have some experts on the future concerned.
    The technology will progress to an extent that it will be absolutely accurate, it will also be miniaturized to the point where it could be a walk around thing, see everyday use. Look at your cell phone, humanity is a clever bastard, you know we can manage it in the long run. We can access your thoughts without you remaining silent or accepting you may be lying, invalidation of privacy is enforceable.

So, if you say privacy is invalid, then you say it is perfectly acceptable to use this technology. It is simply the concrete manifestation of the absolute stance you take
    As such, any thought you may happen to have will be public knowledge. ANY THOUGHT. Including stray ones such as "They're hot, I'd like to fuck them." "They're ugly, why do they even exist." "I wouldn't mind beating this motherfuckers face in."

Still with me?

So, if you say privacy is invalid, then you say it is perfectly acceptable to use this technology.
    this is non-sequitur, acceptance is irrelevant. the rest is fine.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

trollin trollin trollin rawhide

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Then instead.
    So, if you say privacy is invalid, then you say that there is no reason to put any limits to the use of this technology. Any limit would mean some degree of privacy is valid.

The final consequence will be, that other people are going to take actions based on having the information from those stray thoughts.
    As such if you accept that human behavior at that time will be much the same as it is now (people are people, and will continue to be people), then the reaction to certain stray thoughts will not be particularly pleasant for the person having them.

Any complaints to these?

---
    Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    trollin trollin trollin rawhide
    Ehh, it's exercise.

its like i've said people pay taxes and now you're explaining the tax system to me. is this going somewhere?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Is this not getting a little off topic?
    well mind reading is far more intresting than gay babies anyway

also
    Reading actual thoughts ? or just reading how our brain reacts to said thoughts ?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Does it matter? It was a stupid, clickbait of a topic anyway.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

its like i've said people pay taxes and now you're explaining the tax system to me. is this going somewhere?
    I'll take that as no complaints to what I stated then.

This is where were going, we have a problem.
    You accused me of committing a strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by Straw Man
    1. Person 1 has position X.
    2. Person 2 disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially similar position Y. The position Y is a distorted version of X and can be set up in several ways, including:
    a. Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position.
    b. Quoting an opponent's words out of context—i.e., choosing quotations that misrepresent the opponent's actual intentions (see fallacy of quoting out of context).[4]
    c. Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender, then denying that person's arguments—thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position (and thus the position itself) has been defeated.[3]
    d. Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs which are then criticized, implying that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
    e. Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking this oversimplified version.
    3. Person 2 disproves position Y, thereby concluding that X is false/incorrect/flawed.
    Since http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/121...=1#post6108334 you have agreed that I have not misrepresented or disregarded portions of your positions. I have not quoted you out of context, I have not denied your position only built upon it to a conclusion (that you have accepted), I have not criticized your position, and I have not oversimplified it.
    Over this long string of posts, I have simply expanded and reached the same statement as my original response to your statement, all points of which you have allowed me to proceed with. In both cases, no Y was created, there was only X.
    They are the same, yet you declare one a strawman, but the other provably is not. As such, I ask you to resolve that matter.

---
    Quote Originally Posted by Galkaeater View Post
    Reading actual thoughts ? or just reading how our brain reacts to said thoughts ?
    Currently just the latter, in a very primitive way. But in a century or two, however long it takes to fully understand the workings of the mind, the former is entirely possible from what we've seen.

Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs which are then criticized, implying that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
    at no point did i say i was perfectly fine with it, did you miss that? being perfectly fine with it or not is irrelevant.

no privacy, even in your mind, is what my statement was. i made no moral implications.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

The point I was making was can you live with the follow-through of the position you take.
    You have said you reject that how you feel about it has any bearing, but I do not miss that you have not said, (and my apologies for not being able to phrase it any better, because boy is it flowery and loaded, feel free to make something more proper) if you could do as Socrates and drink the hemlock.

The point I was making was can you live with the follow-through of the position you take.
    oh you don't think i had thought it through? if so, strike #2 for you.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I didn't really think if you had or hadn't thought it through, to answer you honestly.
    And you stiiiiiiillll haaaavennnn't aaaaansweeeeeerd.

answered what?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

answered what?
    So, if you say privacy is invalid, then you say that there is no reason to put any limits to the use of this technology. Any limit would mean some degree of privacy is valid.

The final consequence will be, that other people are going to take actions based on having the information from those stray thoughts.
    As such if you accept that human behavior at that time will be much the same as it is now (people are people, and will continue to be people), then the reaction to certain stray thoughts will not be particularly pleasant for the person having them.
    You make the statement "privacy is an obsolete invention of the 20th century", in essence, to reject privacy. What I quote above is an example of the world that results from going through with that.
    You would live in this world your statement would create? You would even make this world come to pass? Yes/No

You have said you make no statement of being fine with it, of being okay with it, of saying it's moral. But I do require you to state if you would DO it.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

What the fucking hell does this have to do with the topic?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast