1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 9 hours, 24 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 14 hours, 35 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 2 hours, 24 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: solo tanking turn 5     submit to reddit submit to twitter

solo tanking turn 5

hello! going to try solo tanking turn 5 as PLD with some buddies, it is prolly going to take a lot of practice, but i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips and advice and let me know around where my stats should be sitting for this type of run. thank you in advance for all the help =)

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

With the echo tell your group to let you get a 3 flash lead on the first pull.

Flash - soc - flash - rampart - flash x3

Then start your RoH combos I do twin first then the adds. Losing hate on twin is your biggest concern.

For conflags step into them during DS if you can otherwise just focus on building a huge hate lead. I don't use any big CDs and stop using rampart at 75%. With echo you shouldn't need them for DS and you need them for the snakes.

Ask your melee to focus on the big snake the whole time and just have SMNs and BLM use bane and flare to bring the small snakes to 50%. After the 5th DB start your march across the zone to the last pair of snakes hug the outside zone lines. Have the SCH follow you out or at least pop sprint to you. This is where you'll want to pop sent then rampart then the lessor CDs as you meet the group for the LB.

Next is twisters and dreads. You should have a huge hate lead by now so just keep TP for dread stunning. Flash is needed. Not much else to it.

If you get targeted by the fire balls during the last phase just stand in place and eat them. You can HG here too. Then just rotate around the target circle to a safe spot after all 5 are down.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

For conflags step into them during DS if you can otherwise just focus on building a huge hate lead.
    There was no need to do this pre echo and there's certainly no need to do it post echo. :/

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

First pull, just grab twin, stand there, flash a bunch, and use all of your CD (rampart>bulwark after plummet>sentinel on arena lock msg).

Conflags, there's no reason not to avoid death sentence if you have a conflag infront of you, you lose maybe 2gcd but skip damage so why not?

Snakes is kind of dumb with echo since you can ignore any mechanics with managing stacks and just kill everything if your dps isn't trash. If they are, keep the 2 little ones alive. After the second divebomb, run clockwise along the edge to reach the new ones as they will spawn right as you arrive. Make sure to pop TEMPERED WILL shortly after leaving the first pit so you don't die if you are the target of the 3rd divebomb. Scorn/flash/hallowed/spam flash on all the snakes. Convalescence when hallowed is off, can opt to pop an additional cd here if needed.

Twister phase, just make sure the dreads will drop inside twin so melee can hit it without getting hit by plummet and conserve tp if you need to so you will have enough for stun.

Last phase, at this point with echo I just soak hatches as tank because why not and it dies faster.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    There was no need to do this pre echo and there's certainly no need to do it post echo. :/
    Does Flash enmity generation scale with echo? I was under the assumption it didn't and I think that's what Taint's getting at.

But either way, I haven't had hate issue post-echo on T5 with DPS going full-retard on adds shortly after pull.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

He was saying there's no reason to step into a conflag, and there really isn't. The only time I'd consider it is if both healers are inside and a Death Sentence is happening.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

What Eanae was referring to was the need for the tank to run into conflags to avoid death sentence. I doubt most pre-2.2 clear groups bother about doing that anymore but if you're still working on first win it's still decent to do to avoid unnecessary spike damage. It's somewhat dependent on pushing the initial phases at proper times to ensure that death sentence is synced with when conflags come down so you can avoid it. However, with the echo buff, even novice groups can manage to switch phases after 3 conflags so it became less useful.

Twister phase, until you get a hang of it, yeah, you can pretty much ignore Twintania if you must. Your hate should be fairly cemented by that point and your other jobs is more important than your dps. Twisters are self explanatory, as are death sentences. Dreadknights should be stunned the moment they come down, make sure Twintania is focus targeted so that you don't miss twisters which will sometimes occur at the same time. If I remember right, the initial order for that phase is most of the time... death sentence OR twister first, then the other, then dreadknight. Everyone in the group has to be prepared for a twister within 5 seconds of Twintania coming down and finishing his 2h.

Final phase for tanks is pretty easy... you pretty much stand there, use defensive cooldowns for death sentence and stand there. If you get targeted by liquid hell x5. Pop a cooldown and don't move until after the 5th liquid hell goes off. The DoTs don't stack and you don't want puddles all over the place. After the 5th one lands, feel free to strafe a bit so that you're out. You shouldn't move for anything else, most of the time wipes at that phase involves tanks or the hatch catching person panicking and spreading liquid hells all over the place.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I've never had a static for t5+ so stepping into conflags has been second nature to help ease the job of mages who are probably on their first clear.

But yes it was never necessary for any farm level group.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    I've never had a static for t5+ so stepping into conflags has been second nature to help ease the job of mages who are probably on their first clear.

But yes it was never necessary for any farm level group.
    Even our first kill we left tanks out to ensure our healers were ready and able to keep with the DS pattern during Twister+ phases. The tank dps on coflags never hurt either.

Make SE give us cross server parties ala WoW so I can help you out. I miss the Armada crew.