BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

To Aru Majutsu no Index / Raildex

I figured I might as well start a new specific thread for this. js06 just recently finished translating the most recent volume of index, NT10. This series is one of the longest running light novels that I know of and surprisingly flies under the radar of most westerners.

For anime adaptations there's currently two seasons of index and two seasons of railgun. Railgun is based off the canon spinoff manga which has ~71 chapters as of now. The index anime by JCStaff covers from volume 1 until right before volume 14. However there are 22 volumes of the "old testament", 2 side story volumes (in between 13-14, and 16-17), 10 volumes of "new testament", and somewhere around half a dozen other side story volumes. Currently everything is up on baka-tsuki, but old testament was licensed and may be taken down in the near future.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions about the show and novels, and create a static place for discussion as new content is released. Just as volume 22 put an end to the 'world war 3' arc, volume NT10 seems to have put an end to the 'gremlin' saga. Although the final epilogue chapter introduced some things that flip our understand of gremlin upside down.

Also if you haven't started reading the index novels yet, you should. :3 I should probably add more basic info about the series to entice you people who haven't been hooked by it yet, but I'll edit that in later.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

To start off with, has anybody else finished reading NT10 yet?

Spoiler: show
    My current understanding from reading between the lines is that Othinus actually succeeded in killing herself, and thus Touma would doubt himself and head down a different path.

>Did it count as saving someone as long as they were smiling? Could an action that went against someone’s wishes be called saving them?
    >“Maybe I was too presumptuous to think I could save someone.”

However, this derivation from his normal path seems to go against the super magic gods plans. To prevent this they fixed up Ollerus into her 15cm form.

>“We have no more attachment to Othinus herself, but this ending could hinder Kamijou Touma’s future. Then again, I doubt anyone but us could resolve this now that a magic god is involved. It would be a shame to have the direction thrown off so much for something so trivial.”

>“Most definitely, Nephthys. The High Priest has just corrected the disorder caused by Othinus. From here on, Gremlin will show its true value.”

>(But would my body “automatically” re-form with no intervention from my will? I still have my questions about that.)

---------------

The real gremlin seems to be an abstract organization of magical gods. And it seems Othinus is a latecomer that never actually made it to the party.

>“Gremlin, the name of a plain fairy that is not dyed in the colors of any existing religion.”
    >“Instead of being a fusion of science and magic, it’s an organization that every magic god of every religion can take part in equally☆”

I have my questions about whether the space they were residing in was a place of existence one or many dimensions higher, which is why it was not destroyed my Othinus, or whether it's some silly tricky bullshit like also inside of Touma's hand. Speaking of which we still aren't any closer to knowing what his hand actually is. Fiamma of the right figured it out, and was killed by Aleister in part due to that. The only thing we were able to learn from him, iirc, was that IB could be used as a ranged attack.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I've wanted to get into the novels (since I want more of this story as soon as possible), but I just much prefer reading manga over novels. >.< I need pictures!

I do really enjoy the world/setting created in these stories though. This isn't my favorite series ever, but it does have quite a few amazing moments and it is still far from over probably.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I honestly didn't touch a light novel until less than two years ago when I used the bakareaderEx app with my first smartphone (galaxy s3). I didn't own a tablet so I only read manga via the computer or actual book, so being able to read while laying down in bed was what really got me to start reading light novels lol.

I definitely recommend reading light novels for stuff you've watched before. Reading index after having watched seasons 1/2 and reading tokyo ravens after watching the anime, etc, really helps immensely with painting the characters in your mind. Not to mention you get to continue reading things that don't have a second season yet, or might not ever get them. (Even if index gets a third season, it might not even cover the third world war arc. Since it's JCStaff, I'd wager it probably won't.)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun Chapter 71(Raw)

Best way to end the arc.

Didn't think Saten would go full ToumaxMisaka support.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I should pick up the railgun manga. Was that the dance that was shown in the index anime as well? But from the index side we only saw him dance and then get kicked by Kuroko immediately after.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Was that the dance that was shown in the index anime as well? But from the index side we only saw him dance and then get kicked by Kuroko immediately after.
    Only as stills with no animation.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

so extra pages were added to the arc with the release of Volume 10. kinda weird to add such emotion scenes in volumes and not when it's published in the magazine.anyhow next month Railgun will resume after 2 months break.
    Spoiler: show

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

And here's another one more:

So interestingly every time we've seen his hand cut off while inside Academy city dragon(s) have come out. But it's only been a formless mass whenever it's been cut off outside of Academy city. 34+ volumes and we still don't really know what the hell is in his hand.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The Dragon Balls, of course.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

celebration for the Author: