+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Card Captor Sakura hands down best choice! That was so much better even than Sailor Moon to me.
    Other than that Slayers and The secret of Blue Water are the ones I'd recommend the most.

Azumanga Daioh / Yotsuba (you'll both enjoy these) are classics and hilarious.
    Tokyo Mew Mew is similar to Sailormoon/Precure/CCS etc, but not as long.
    Nichijou has a primarily female cast, but is strange and hilarious. If she doesn't get it it at least looks pretty and all.
    Minami-ke (first season only, second only if necessary, avoid the third though your niece might not care).
    Rozen Maiden is also good though it gets CLAMP weird at times and Disney dark.

Stupid shit like Girls und Panzer and Stella Girls Academy have all girl casts but the content seems pretty male oriented, so I wouldn't immediately check these out but they can work too since friendship and all that.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    Cromartie High School.
    I've never known an eight year old girl that would like Cromartie High School.
    But if I did, I would immediately declare her the most awesome eight year old girl in the fucking universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Stupid shit like Girls und Panzer and Stella Girls Academy have all girl casts but the content seems pretty male oriented, so I wouldn't immediately check these out but they can work too since friendship and all that.
    You saying girls can't like tanks? Way to promote the gender status quo. But seriously, something that can put the line of thought "They can like X? I never thought I could like X. Hey, yeah, why shouldn't I like X?" is pmuch always a good thing to throw at a kid. So similarly, Utena and Witch Craft Works are good, but in those cases unless the kid is precocious and the parents chill as fuck, not really for an eight year old.
    And yeah, Stella isn't technically bad, but it's not good enough I'd recommend it.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've never known an eight year old girl that would like Cromartie High School.
    But if I did, I would immediately declare her the most awesome eight year old girl in the fucking universe.
    Everybody loves Cromartie High School! It's got robots, and gorillas, and makes absolutely no sense. It's perfect for all ages!

I really just want to know if an 8 year old would find it awesome, or boring.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ponyo or bust.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

This may be a stupid suggestion, but, Powerpuff Girls? I have no idea if Powerpuff Girls Z is any good.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm thinking of a few shows from my childhood/teen years.

The Real Ghostbusters, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Ducktales... what the hell else is on my shelf here.. give me a few minutes.

minutes taken..

Chip n Dale Rescue Ranger, Reboot, Beast Wars, TMNT (the 80s/90s one), the new TMNT that's on now.

I'm out of the loop on anime, a few of the ones I've watched with my wife way back are more on the adult side I think.

Edit:
    Oh, how about Dexter's Lab? I mean there are other classics like Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, and Looney Toons, but they may be too violent now-a-days.

What's the show with the male character that can turn into a ghost? Danny Phantom? I think I saw some of that at some point.

Would Batman the Animated Series be too dark? I could have sworn I was watching at that age.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Here's a list of things I've seen and recommend. I've tried to stay away from high-school oriented shows, or ones that require a higher level of familiarity, with Japanese customs and daily life, to really enjoy. None of them will talk down to kids and they handle various subject matter quite well.

Studio Ghibli - Almost anything they do would be appropriate, and I think you said she's seen a lot, but whatever she hasn't seen is worthwhile. I do agree Princess Mononoke might be too intense at times.

A Little Snow Fairy Sugar + OAV [Anime-Takeover DVD] - The story about a young girl and the weather fariys she meets. Set against an old European city, the characters explore their world and learn various life lessons.

Angelic Layer [Kira-Fansub BD] - A CLAMP series about a young girl and her battle angle doll. It's more of a tournament style show, but it has a lot of the usual young girl anime troupes and lessons. It also has tie-ins to other CLAMP series.

Aria Series [Varios; check BakaBT] - A laid back series about four girls, who are gondola operaters on a terraformed Mars, in the future. The place is bascially Venice, with the series focusing on the growth of the characters and the world they live in. Highly recomended.

CardCaptor Sakura [Coalgirls BD 10P] - Start here and never ever touch the dub. Another CLAMP series about a girl and her growth as a person as she captures the Clow Cards and learns about her role with them. It's a classic show that still shows up in polls, over in Japan, for best anime or characters.

Di Gi Charat [various] - There are several series you could look at; the original is very wacky but there are also basic children anime seasons as well.

Kaleido Star [various] - A show about a teenage girl who goes to America to become a circus performer. It's a highly unique show, as I've not seen anything replicate the visuals that this show has. It's also aimed at a little older audience, so some story elements might go over her head, but at it's heart, it's got a lot of the core children's anime elements to it.

Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette [Aoi-WSRN-Licca] - If you're familiar, with the musical, you may be going 'wtf', but this is actually from Japans World Masterpiece Theater, which are family oriented anime about classic stories. This focuses on the girl Cosette, and is written/animated from her point of view from, a young girl until adult-hood. As such, it's quite toned down from anything you may be familiar with. Highly Recommended.

A Dog Named Flanders - from the same World Masterpiece Theater, another classic childrens tale. This one is quite old though, but should be enjoyable still.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha + A's [Coldlight DVD or Doke BD, for the movies] - When Gundam met Magical Girls is how I would describe the series. It is firmly rooted in the friendship overcomes everything gener, however, there are some darker elements to some of the character's histories. Recomened if you don't see any issues with how it presents those elements. You can continue, with StrikerS, but they are all teenagers by then, with a rather expanded cast, so keeping up may be a bit much.

Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu [AF-F] - Rather stylized, but also bite-sized show about three magical girls.

Princess Tutu [Ahiru] - Very unique anime that uses ballet, as it's back-drop, to tell a very stylized version of the Ugly Duckling tale. It convey's a variety of emotions, through its dance sequences, and various themes, some darker then others. Over-all, it's a really good series and one I'd recomend.

Sailor Moon - The classic would be really good, if you can find it, however, it's also beinh re-released right now, with an un-cut version and a new Dub track. There's also a new version being released in Japan, that will closely follow the Manga, and should be a good show to watch.

The Idolmaster - While I've tended to stay away from high-school oriented shows, this one is such a light-hearted snack that I think she'd like it. It's bright, up-beat, lots of music and various outfit designs, which I think would hold her attention.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Echoing Studio Ghbili stuff as gateway.

Try the following, a bit unorthodox from the above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonde_Burin (Magical Girl transforms into pig) (Female lead)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muka_Muka_Paradise (Girl finds a mini/baby dinosaur in modern japan, but some freak accident sends them back in time encountering other dinosaurs) (Female lead)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakus%C...Let%27s_%26_Go!! (Racing anime for ... kids?)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomberm...man_Bakugaiden (Mecha anime for ... kids? I liked it lol)

All probably incredibly hard to get hold of and probably not dubbed .... just realised.

In any case... Doraemon can't go wrong lol

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I would've recommended Princess Tutu, as it's one of my favorite series, but...yeah, I'm pretty sure that show could give a kid nightmares at points... it is a pretty intense fairy tale, closer to original Brothers Grimm or Hans Christen Andersen than, say, Disney

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Also there's the Pretty Cure franchise which might be okay for a magical girl series? I dunno how cliched it can be, I never watched it, and I only really know that somehow it got stuck with a pretty metal soundrack.
    Edit: Oh, and Princess Tutu. It looks like a girly show, but it's camouflage for something much smarter.
    GO for pretty cure will be never wrong. Especially the first two season, and heart catch.