+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Turns out the narrative that Bergdahl is responsible for 6 soldiers dying during a rescue mission is completely fabricated crap coming from the neocons. The deserter label is great propaganda material. I'm shocked to learn about this.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

That narrative supposedly comes from fellow soldiers who served with him and official reports.

I wonder if they'll give him an opportunity to catch up on 5 years of Marvel movies before making him go through all the debriefing he'll have to go through. Dude probably hasn't even seen Avengers yet.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I know very little about military policy, so please excuse my ignorance. I heard a NPR interview explaining that soldiers go off base for a drink, dinner, whatever and get captured, When this happens, they are labeled MIA/POW and an investigation is opened to rule out desertion/AWOL. The way it was explained is that this happens with almost every instance of a POW/MIA soldier.

If that is true, is the whole narrative about him being a deserter nothing more than a right wing political spin and inflation of facts based on a kernel of truth that he was actually investigated for desertion?

That or they bribed some "fellow soldiers" to spew lies. The whole rescue mission story is 99% made-up at this point. Considering the ones who died saving him all died on separate, unrelated instances.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Poor guy just got home, at least get him a burger and a lapdance before you fucking crucify him on fake shit.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

See, but you wouldn't know that when even Congress is like "whoa, you did what now Obama"?

BG Level

the soldier in the democracy now video admits to never serving with Bergdahl and states he doesn't definitively know why the six soldiers died, merely that it wasn't on a rescue mission, which no one is claiming. the claim is that six soldiers died while searching for him, which was the mission of the forces in the area for the next several months.

Former Pfc. Jose Baggett, 27, of Chicago, was also in Blackfoot Company and said he was close to two men "killed because of his (Bergdahl's) actions."
    "He walked off," Baggett told CNN. "He left his guard post. Nobody knows if he defected or he's a traitor or he was kidnapped. What I do know is, he was there to protect us, and instead he decided to defer from America and go and do his own thing. I don't know why he decided to do that, but we spent so much of our resources, and some of those resources were soldiers' lives."

Many soldiers on the ground at the time said insurgents were able to take advantage of the intense search for Bergdahl.

"A huge thing in-country is not building patterns. Well when you are looking for a person every day that creates a pattern. While searching for him, ambushes and IEDs picked up tremendously. Enemy knew we would be coming. IEDs started being placed more effectively in the coming weeks. Ambushes were more calculated, cover and concealment was used," Full tweeted.

Moreover, other operations were put on hold while the search for Bergdahl was made a top priority, according to officers who served in Afghanistan during that time. Manpower and assets -- such as scarce surveillance drones and helicopters -- were redirected to the hunt. The lack of assets is one reason the closure of a dangerous combat outpost, COP Keating, was delayed. Eight soldiers were killed at COP Keating before it was ultimately closed.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/ber...erter-or-hero/

yes, conservatives attack dogs are salivating and using the incident to declare SCANDALLLLL but given that that soldiers who actually served with Bergdahl (his squad leader and a dozen members of the same company have come out so far, despite all being forced to sign non-disclosure agreements about the incident) are furious with his behavior and consider him a deserter is grounds enough to not just go 'lol conservatives manufacturing bullshit'. usually worth listening to the people who were actually there, and this isn't some Kerry Swiftboat campaign as these guys served with Bergdahl in his seven-man squad / 200-man company.

at this point the discussion is primarily conjecture but given the testimonies of his comrades, as well as his behavior immediately prior to the incident (Rolling Stone unearthing the America sux e-mails, "obey your conscience" being the last message his father sent him, and noting the dude shipped all his belongings home immediately before going missing), the evidence is pointing strongly in one direction, probable deserter, for whatever reason. some say collaborator, some say adventurer, both entirely speculative.

even so, you can argue that you still do everything you can to bring home a POW, no matter the circumstances. opinions differ, there are thousands of deserters a year and most get off quite light, but there are almost none who desert in combat zones. those who do, thereby exposing their comrades to increased risk, are generally reviled, the military seems to fucking hate this guy. and five senior Taliban members for anyone is a high price, for a deserter? ehhhhhhhhh.

also interesting that JSOC had this guy's location several times over the last few years but refused to conduct a raid because they didn't consider a deserter worth the risk. was an alternative to the prisoner swap tho if Obama felt like ordering it.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    I know very little about military policy, so please excuse my ignorance. I heard a NPR interview explaining that soldiers go off base for a drink, dinner, whatever and get captured, When this happens, they are labeled MIA/POW and an investigation is opened to rule out desertion/AWOL. The way it was explained is that this happens with almost every instance of a POW/MIA soldier.

If that is true, is the whole narrative about him being a deserter nothing more than a right wing political spin and inflation of facts based on a kernel of truth that he was actually investigated for desertion?
    The right is blowing it out of proportion for sure, but even the evidence reported by left-leaning organizations like CNN/NYT pretty clearly show that the desertion commentary is not 100% fabricated. The first person anecdotes from former squad members, the narrative from the Rolling Stone article, content of private letters to his family / friends, etc. all make it seem like this was a person deeply unhappy with his role as a soldier from a fundamental ideological standpoint.

In short, do I think he actually deserted (vs. your "accidental / unlucky" desertion description)? Not all the facts are in, but if I had to bet money, I would feel comfortable betting on yes he did. Does the fact that he may have deserted mean Obama dun goofed up? No it doesn't. Bring him home and give him a trial if the evidence warrants it. It's not the greatest situation of a POW returning home, but the people clamoring for impeachment are just crazy. I'm not even an Obama fan for what it's worth.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    The right is blowing it out of proportion for sure, but even the evidence reported by left-leaning organizations like CNN/NYT pretty clearly show that the desertion commentary is not 100% fabricated. The first person anecdotes from former squad members, the narrative from the Rolling Stone article, content of private letters to his family / friends, etc. all make it seem like this was a person deeply unhappy with his role as a soldier from a fundamental ideological standpoint.

In short, do I think he actually deserted (vs. your "accidental / unlucky" desertion description)? Not all the facts are in, but if I had to bet money, I would feel comfortable betting on yes he did. Does the fact that he may have deserted mean Obama dun goofed up? No it doesn't. Bring him home and give him a trial if the evidence warrants it. It's not the greatest situation of a POW returning home, but the people clamoring for impeachment are just crazy. I'm not even an Obama fan for what it's worth.
    Racist

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by AidenCarby View Post
    Racist
    At least give me a gif dog.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/09/racist1.gif

Not a republican either; the two bucket system blows.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

He's a trader

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    He's a trader
    What does he trade?

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

He's a desserter

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    He's a desserter
    not sure if serious.jpg

I'll wait for the verdict of the military court instead of the media kangaroo court.

Yes, we will find much truth, very story in military court.

lol huffington post, but this is some decent reporting of a decent number of conservative switches

I mean, the real sadness here is how both sides are using this for political showmanship; but once again, the GOP comes off looking worse.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I love my facebook

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Surprised it wasn't they, then we.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'm more interested in what Bergdahl was attempting to do. Waltz in to the nearest Taliban recruiting center and sign up? Walk to America?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

At one point I heard he wanted to go to India, but no idea.