BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Audio Switch Box Thing Question

Ok so I assume one of these exist but basically I want to hook my PC speakers into some sort of splitter box that has outputs that I can switch between.

I am going to buy a game console and hook it up via hdmi to my 2nd computer monitor and then hook the audio up via AV cables. I just want to be able to toggle between PC and console audio without having to unplug the cable from my PC every time.

I am going to use this to connect AV cables to a standard 3.5mm or w/e jack. Unless I can find a box that actually has AV and 3.5 outputs I can switch between.

Any help or suggestions on a good one to use is much appreciated ty.

Spoiler: show

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You are gonna need multiple adapters. You'll need a 3.5mm male that outputs from the computer. You'll need a 3.mm female the inputs from the speaker. And then you need something to accept the sound output from the console. Then you need something to unite the two. So you need at least 3 adapters, and sound gets funky sometimes when you start doing that.

You may run in to a problem where the console disables RCA output if the HDMI is plugged in, btw.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Well I looked it up and it said you can set in the settings to have the audio go through the AV cables but the video go through HDMI. I haven't tried it yet though because I haven't bought it yet. I already have all the needed cables, I just need some kind of box I can hook them all into and switch from like 1,2,3 etc.

Basically want to hook speaker control panel into box, and from box one output goes to PC and one output goes to console. Really isn't THAT much involved, I think you may be overthinking what I am wanting to do. I have the adapter for the AV cables as seen in picture, but if they make a box that accepts straight in AV red/white etc cables that would be even better.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You want a receiver, a/v switch, or kvm switch w/ audio; depending on how fancy you want to get. Remote controls are also an option.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Any idea what a good brand is? Or if there are ones that can take inputs of standard PC speaker input and output it to standard PC speaker audio cable as well as AV ones?

Made a terrible paint diagram.. I have a converter to convert the red white AV cables from the Wii U to 3.5m, but if they make a switch with AV and 3.5 outputs both that would be easier.

This is basically what I am looking for, but if there is a good brand that would be nice to know as well, I don't know much about audio stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PORT-3-5mm...-/300815792392

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Actually would something as simple as this do the trick??

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-23-3-5...m+audio+switch

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I recently did this exact same set up for a friend with his PC and 360, and it's easy enough to do for like $20.00.

Start with this switchbox, which has inputs for both 3.5mm and standard ¼" RCA plugs. You can use either a standard 3.5mm cable to go from your PC output into the switchbox, or pick up a 3.5mm male to ¼" RCA male cable. You can even get a cheaper 2-port switchbox if you'd like, but you'll definitely need a 3.5mm male to ¼" RCA male cable cable to connect your PC to it.

You'll also need a 3.5mm female to ¼" RCA male cable, like this one here, which you'll use to connect from the output of the switchbox to your PC speakers.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Would a splitter work as well like the one I linked above? I don't really plan to use both audio streams at the same time. TY for link to audio box btw.

Edit: Also curious, from reading the descriptions it seems like any of them can be used for inputs. Is this correct or just port 6 can be used for input?

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

While the splitter that you linked is more commonly used to split a single source into 2 different outputs (think one mp3 player, two sets of ear buds), it should work here for your intended purpose. Just make sure that both devices arent being used simultaneously or you may get some unpleasant static or something.

You'll need to use a 3.5mm coupler to connect your speakers, as well as a 1/4" female to 3.5mm male cable to connect the console to the splitter.

As for the switch box, it seems that port 6 is the output which you would connect your speakers too, while ports 1-5 are the switchable inputs. Personally, I'd go with the switch box solution since it offers up more flexibility if you ever want to use more devices, like another console or ipod or something.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Ok, after reading some more of the reviews on that switch box, it's actually more like an audio router/matrix, allowing you to use any of the ports as either an input or output, and then pair them together. Pretty nifty. Seeing that's the case, you wouldn't need any additional cables except for a standard 3.5mm cable to connect your PC to the box

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

My speaker control panel is actually just a box with female inputs for the sub and 3.5 so I could plug the small splitter right into it.

I gathered the same thing about the switch from the info, but was unsure how one would set which is speakers out and which is console or pc in. Unless the box just knows what is what when the buttons are both down.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

You could always opt for a cheapie 2-4 port standard switch box with a dedicated outport to simplify things, and then just get the proper cables. What speaker set are you using?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I use these. But my controller went bad so I got an aftermarket one that you actually connect the wires to instead of them just shooting out of the controller and soldered inside the box.