+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Damn, you can still do 4 years / 120 credits of in-state education at UW-Madison for less than the cost I paid for two years of grad school at the U. of Miami...in '02-'04.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Lol education bubble.

Kids going to college and majoring in stupid shit. Liberal arts degrees aren't worth the 60-100,000$ in debt you'll incur at major universities. Businesses are starting to turn kids away with stupid and useless degrees for people who didn't attend college.

BG Level

holy shit

my MFA cost me like 42k

now that same 66 graduate school credits cost 118k

what retard would spend that much for a masters in film production

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender View Post
    Lol education bubble.

Kids going to college and majoring in stupid shit. Liberal arts degrees aren't worth the 60-100,000$ in debt you'll incur at major universities. Businesses are starting to turn kids away with stupid and useless degrees for people who didn't attend college.
    I used to blame the kids, I don't really though. I mean honestly unless you're brought up correctly and fostered for learning science/math, most kids are told to get a degree in what they want to do. Parents and high school advisors all tell you "You want to work a job that you ENJOY doing" and other shit. So of course kids go "Well I like video games, i'll major in video game design" or "I really like drawing, ill major in studio art". This coupled with the pressure of HAVING to go to college for most young adults makes it even worse.

You can't even really forcast shit like "Well this degree will have a ton of jobs" unless it's math/science related, because EVERYONE is going to go for those degrees, a bubble will form and when you graduate you are going to get fucked on the unemployment line. Shit when I was that young I even went into getting my degree thinking "Will this get me a job? Yeah prospects are high" and then when I graduated BOOM market went down circa 2008, and no one was hiring.

holy shit

my MFA cost me like 42k

now that same 66 graduate school credits cost 118k

what retard would spend that much for a masters in film production
    Same people who would spend 100k on a MBA! lol.

I've contemplated going for my Masters in Computer Science/InfoSec but unless it's a free ride, aint gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I used to blame the kids, I don't really though. I mean honestly unless you're brought up correctly and fostered for learning science/math, most kids are told to get a degree in what they want to do. Parents and high school advisors all tell you "You want to work a job that you ENJOY doing" and other shit. So of course kids go "Well I like video games, i'll major in video game design" or "I really like drawing, ill major in studio art". This coupled with the pressure of HAVING to go to college for most young adults makes it even worse.
    That, and it actually goes deeper than you think. A whole lot of people have deluded themselves into thinking they're happy working in a shitty job that doesn't respect their efforts, or reward them for working harder. A lot of jobs see that you're working hard, and simply expect it to be the new minimum while paying you basically the same. It's kind of shocking how few people are willing to acknowledge that working 60 hour weeks just to make ends meet (basic necessities like food, housing, etc) is really slavery. People are working themselves to death simply so they can continue existing, and if that's not slavery, I don't know what is. They may not be owned by a human being, but the corporation they end up working for is considered a person for all intents and purposes.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    That, and it actually goes deeper than you think. A whole lot of people have deluded themselves into thinking they're happy working in a shitty job that doesn't respect their efforts, or reward them for working harder. A lot of jobs see that you're working hard, and simply expect it to be the new minimum while paying you basically the same. It's kind of shocking how few people are willing to acknowledge that working 60 hour weeks just to make ends meet (basic necessities like food, housing, etc) is really slavery. People are working themselves to death simply so they can continue existing, and if that's not slavery, I don't know what is. They may not be owned by a human being, but the corporation they end up working for is considered a person for all intents and purposes.
    So how do you propose they recognize something better when they see it?

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    So how do you propose they recognize something better when they see it?
    Just to be clear, were you asking how do I think people can recognize that a particular situation/job is better than their current one, or how they can improve their ability to objectively see reality for what it is (i.e. being better at recognizing something, in particular something they may not want to know)? Fucking context-free grammars.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Just to be clear, were you asking how do I think people can recognize that a particular situation/job is better than their current one, or how they can improve their ability to objectively see reality for what it is (i.e. being better at recognizing something, in particular something they may not want to know)? Fucking context-free grammars.
    Uh, the first one. A lot of colleagues I know consciously realize they can do better or are more valuable yet don't.

Vuitton

Holy shit I didn't realize that working for a 501(c)3 nonprofit was eligible for that 10 year loan forgiveness program. I thought it was only teachers. I guess I'll be staying here for 9.5 more years. I am currently on the IBR 25 year repayment. That will save me 15 years of payments.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I'm thinking trade school is probably where it's at nowadays. Cheaper, takes less time and you get real skills doing actual concrete things. Not very useful to be able to write good research papers or crunch numbers at retardedly high levels if you can't get a job doing those things.

My sister, for example, can find a job anywhere she goes because she's a chef. She can (and does) move anywhere she wants without too much worry about being able to find a job, because chefs are always needed anywhere. Same with mechanics, tech support positions and people who actually make/fix things for a living. Those kinds of jobs are always going to be indispensable. I feel like I missed the boat so hard by not just going to a tech school to develop some kind of skill rather than getting a bullshit arts degree (Japanese, but if you can't afford to go to the country you studied for or finish/keep up your learning it's kind of pointless).

I find myself wishing we would go back to the old master/apprentice system. Start apprenticing with someone at a young age, you've got time to switch it up a few times if you want and you'll learn skills better than in a huge classroom with 200 other students. Since you're doing work, you wouldn't have to pay much. Like internships, but better, longer and readily available. I feel like we got that one right the first time, at least, and education has just taken a turn for the worse since we removed that system from regular use.

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Uh, the first one. A lot of colleagues I know consciously realize they can do better or are more valuable yet don't.
    Was kind of afraid of that - it doesn't really apply to what I was saying, but I can offer my opinion if you care.

I think the important thing to realize is that there's a difference between being aware that you can do better, and being willing to suffer the burden and bear the increased risk that comes with pursuing that better thing. For instance, most people need to move to increase their lot in life, and moving is a significant burden (even if you're renting), unless you've been living in a cardboard box and all your possessions fit inside a small car. The risk comes in the form of potential regret or financial instability - do you have enough money to ride out that month without a paycheck? Can you afford to pay the 1st month's rent and security deposit up front for the area you'll need to live? What happens if you spend all this money and find out you actually hate the new job more than the old one? The idiom "better the devil you know" exists for a reason.

The only way it even tangentially relates to what I was talking about is the regret portion. Say you do get what many people consider to be a "better" job - higher pay, better benefits, etc. What do you have to give up to get it? Is the job going to expect you to work 60 hour weeks regularly as salary? Will they expect you to be on-call for emergencies at all times? Will they pressure you into not taking vacation (either overtly or surreptitiously, such as by expecting the pile of work that you came back to to be addressed faster than normal)? At some point being happy with your life is more important than getting more money in the bank. That's why there's those studies that show overall happiness doesn't increase with pay after you're beyond living paycheck to paycheck.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

My school's doctoral program is $556/hr and 79 hours for the program I'll be going into. So less than 50k for a doctorate. Probably around 50k after clinical insurance and shit though.

But, and this is a huge but...

You essentially cannot work for the three years you're in the program.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So you're like 100-150k in the hole if you take out loans to cover living expenses for however many years it takes to complete?

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    Holy shit I didn't realize that working for a 501(c)3 nonprofit was eligible for that 10 year loan forgiveness program. I thought it was only teachers. I guess I'll be staying here for 9.5 more years. I am currently on the IBR 25 year repayment. That will save me 15 years of payments.
    Not many people know this, hell I spoke to someone in the Financial Aid department when I started at my job and they didn't know about it. Guy was like "Holy fuck, ive been here 6 years so far...I didn't know I could do this!"

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    So you're like 100-150k in the hole if you take out loans to cover living expenses for however many years it takes to complete?
    Unless you have fantastic support from family, yes.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Hey, welcome to the real world! Missed you!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Unless you have fantastic support from family, yes.
    I'm already trying to figure out the best way to save for my son's college expenses, and he's not even a month old yet. My parents paid for my undergrad tuition (like 16k for 4 years in the U. of Wisconsin system), and I worked 20 hrs/week through undergrad to pay rent/food. I plan on doing the same for my children.

(Grad school, however, he was like "that's on you" lol - he never did buy into this whole film thing)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

This shit is all sorts of fucked. Student loans.. I don't really know how I did it, guess I was pretty lucky.

As lucky as one is who gets the "that's on you" after HS. I'm not complaining; it's just a a very real struggle to save for kids' college educations, and my family could not do it. It was like, hey, you got a diploma and 18 years of poptarts, that's all we got for currency support. Graduated with a BS in 2010 with about 50k student loan debt that was already 7k in interest from the unsub loans. -_-;

BG Level

Did you go to K state?

I'm still trying to find out how this makes school more affordable? I mean, it doesn't make tuition cheaper. It just makes it "easier" to pay off (re: longer).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

yes good sir

I squandered some additional loan debt on a few wasted college credits and rent. I was definitely a little above the average student rent in Manhattan. 50k wasn't very frugal for K-State, I'll admit. And still really only paid off because I stayed within the college of engineering for dat Bachelors.