+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

If I never moved to California, I wouldn't have had the chance to "get lucky". Again, that is my point. I put myself into a position to have a shot. If I stayed in Miami or moved back to Madison while trying to get TV production jobs (which are neither in Madison or Miami), I would've had no shot.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    What fears remain when you're already broke, already stuck? Are you worried it'll get worse?
    I think that's exactly what a lot of people are worried about. Moving across the country means leaving any support network you might have behind, as well as any job. What do you do when you move across the country, can't find any job and run out of savings? Unless you were already homeless with no one to turn to for help, it can always get worse. I agree that ultimately it's probably the best choice in many cases, but it isn't without risks.

What hey said. It may be easy for some to just pick up and go, but that means leaving your safety net for a "chance". Usually where you grew up you at least have family/friends to help support you if shit goes bad, 2000 miles away you don't have shit if you were to suddenly get too sick and get fired from your fry cook job as you worked your way up, or what have you.

I agree as well that it's a smart choice, but it's a fucking gamble as well.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Can always kill yourself when you don't succeed.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

No sane person moves cross country with no job and only their savings to keep them afloat for a few months before going homeless. Wtf are ya'll going on about?

The problem is people getting degrees in locations that don't support the industry, like a film degree in Ohio (gfs friend is going through this now). If you want to be marketable, and you're going out of state for school any ways, you might as well reside in the state actively hiring people like you. The problem is students pursuing their dream and not thinking things through like "how do I turn this education into a job less then 6 months after graduation?"

Being successful means taking risks, to put it as bluntly and crudely as possible.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

And you'd be blasting those same people who moved cross country with no plan other then "put in applications", only to end up homeless in a few months.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There's always a job wherever you move to, sight unseen. They're just usually not the jobs you want to be doing.

20 hours a week at ~14$ an hour on the overnight shift unloading trucks for UPS / FedEx? Literally cannot think of a time when I haven't seen them hiring for this. Janitor? Overnight stock boy? Etc.

Yeah, moving sight unseen is a risk, but if you let yourself go homeless before picking up any number of perfectly reasonable jobs to keep yourself afloat while finding your dream job then well, lol.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Dammit Archi, you just made me like you a little bit more.

But nothing you can say will ever make me like the Packers.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Yeah, moving sight unseen is a risk, but if you let yourself go homeless before picking up any number of perfectly reasonable jobs to keep yourself afloat while finding your dream job then well, lol.
    Seriously when I first moved here and I was about to run out of money - and all this was without a degree - I went straight to a temp agency, took a few typing/MS Office/r u stupid tests and I had a job within two weeks.

Temp agencies don't give you the best of the best work but they've kept a roof over my head and you'll usually get a reference or two out of the deal when the assignment ends or you find a job more suited to what you want to do. I'm with a temp agency right now to put a roof over my head while I get through school. It's not the greatest job and I am sure I could make more money but their flexibility with my school schedule and understanding that I will be dipping out when I get my degree is really the best I could have hoped for.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    No sane person moves cross country with no job and only their savings to keep them afloat for a few months before going homeless.
    I love that I don't know if this is serious or mocking people who think this way.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Made it out of college with only about $9k debt of which I paid off over a span of about 3 years, I think? I got antsy during the last $1,500 and just sent in a check. My schooling was fairly cheap from staying in-school, having a minor grant and, most importantly, having a parent working for the my eventual Alma Mater. Lots of community college out of pocket before the 4-year, though.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    No sane person moves cross country with no job and only their savings to keep them afloat for a few months before going homeless. Wtf are ya'll going on about?
    Of course they do. Every single day. Sometimes without any savings at all. There will always be some job where ever you go. It might be the worst job imaginable, paying less than minimum wage, but many people are willing to do whatever it takes for a chance at a better opportunity. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But if you're willing to do whatever it takes, it's a fairly safe bet you won't end up homeless if you've got a enough savings to last a few months. Of course it's risky, but ultimately, if you want a life better McDonald's can offer, sometimes you have to take risks.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Those ”better then no job" jobs are available at home too. The problem still comes down to students not preparing themselves for this before they leave school. Internships, paid or not, volunteer work, etc, is what I'm talking about.

ITT "The American Dream is alive and well and totally works!"

How many people have lived in an area that isn't a somewhat major hub/near a major hub?

I mean at least we're figuring on the person HAVING the degree before moving, because fucking good luck trying to earn a degree while working your 40hr McD's shift and taking public transit back and forth lol.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

That's what I'm getting at. Sure you have to take risks if you truly want that american dream, but we have to hold people somewhat responsible too.

We can't just have fresh graduates rolling the dice when they can be building relationships and experience while earning their degree like they should be.

I think a lot of students, especially from my own observations, don't understand that's how it works in the real world. They think the degree is what they need because, well a lot of people make it seem that way. They don't get that Harvard, Yale and shit are great schools not JUST because of the professors but mostly because of the connections to be made. I learned that shit after I got my first degree but was a little late, applied it full throttle on my 2nd degree though lol. Made buddy buddy with every fucking professor and faculty member I could.

BG Level

The only reason I even went to grad school is because I was too scared to just up and move to California out of undergrad with a film degree. But in making the decision to go to grad school, I also made the decision to go directly to Los Angeles afterwards - I felt if I was going to spend the money on the MFA, there was going to be nothing keeping me from giving it my best shot. Stewing on that decision for two years in grad school made actually moving not very scary.

I sympathize with the "I could never do that!" argument, even though it's simply wrong.

ITT the exception that proves the rule clamors on about how the rule doesn't exist.

Sure is all white privilege up in here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast