+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

yikes

good luck Randolph

There's at LEAST several news cycles here of talk about the tea party. It obliterates the narrative of "establishment republicans winning" / "the tea party is finally dead", and it reminds people just how much they hate the tea party and dislike republicans; probably just enough to let dems keep control of the senate, if not over-perform again.

Karl Rove must be losing his fucking mind tonight.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I honestly can't keep up with this shit. So the Kochs are proping up the tea party? Did the regular republicans not have their back enough? Seems rather detrimental to their cause.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Looking back at some of the district's past reps, Mr. Robertson on desegregating schools in the 50's:

"Asked to comment “on his region’s state of mind and any specific American attitudes he feels are necessary to avoid violence and bring healing in a deteriorating situation following the Supreme Court school desegregation order," Robertson stated:

Virginia recognizes the correctness of the 1850 decision of the Massachusetts Supreme Court and in the 155 subsequent decisions of State and Federal courts holding that the equal rights provision of a constitution could be properly satisfied by public schools for the white and colored races which are separate but equal.

During the last 10 years notable progress has been made in the Southern States in meeting that equality requirement. But that progress will be nullified by a program of rapid, enforced desegregation. In fact, public education for both races in some Southern States would be destroyed.
    The worst feature of the current desegregation effort, however, is the resulting bitterness and racial animosities in areas where harmony heretofore prevailed. Southerners believe that the cherished constitutional right of every citizen to select his personal associates is being violated."
    Wow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absalom_Willis_Robertson

And this guy held office there as recently as 1991 despite previously opposing school desegregation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._French_Slaughter,_Jr.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Seriously, fuck these people.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Oh shit Brat didn't just win, he won by 11 points!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

given Cantor's profile as House Majority Leader the overreaction is inevitable, but it is just that. Tea Party-backed candidates have largely been trounced this primary cycle and a single district consisting of some 60,000 voters doesn't alter the trend. Incumbent Senators and Congresspeoples, from both parties, have been receiving a diminishing share of the primary vote for over a decade now but that is more indicative of a disgust with the status quo than a reflection of the might of the tea party insurgency, which even at its apogee in 2010 and 2012 only defeated three incumbent Republican Senators. this cycle they have defeated 0, with the possibility of a single victory coming in the Mississippi runoff. they are likewise a diminished (though clearly not exhausted) force in House races, though i imagine that is little comfort to Eric tonight.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

becoming the first sitting House majority leader to lose a primary since the position was created in 1899
    lol

I'm guessing the current republican whip becomes the next party house leader next year?

BG Level

if he wants he can remain at his post until actually leaving office at the end of the year, but ultimately the House shall vote on his replacement. there is no line of succession for a House Majority Leader, just whoever can scrounge up the votes.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Hmm, looking at wikipedia, on the democratic side it seems fairly regular that whip becomes leader becomes speaker (if it's open). But yeah, the republican side is much more irregular.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Plus Boehner was expected to step down within another term or two, and Cantor was in line to replace him.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Yeah, this is a gigantic shakeup to the republican leadership down the line. Nothing immediate, but it's going to have effects.
    You also have to wonder what Cantor will do now that he's a lame duck.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

probably become a lobbyist like all the other quacks in washington

BG Level

the most consequential and poignant effect of this election is that it kills immigration reform deder than ded

sorry brown peoples we'll try and sort you out after 2016

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Nono, I mean, lame duck.
    He basically has half a year in office but no concerns about re-election. Weird shit happens under those conditions, and there's never been someone that position with that status.
    Boehner is above him, but he's already been having trouble keeping the two sides of the party in line.

I don't really care what the man does after January. Though we'll probably hear in the next few months if he plans to run again in 2016... oh jesus, I just had a bad thought.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

If he can't even hold onto his Congressional seat through a primary, there's no way Cantor could make it through the Republican presidential primary process in 2016 if that's what you're thinking. Hell, this is pretty grim news for Rick Perry and Jeb Bush as far as their chances of making it to the general in 2016. Everyone ready for Republican presidential nominee Ted Cruz?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Cantor will just win his seat back in 2016 and probably consult until then

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    Fucking Cooter from Dukes of Hazard urged democrats to go out and vote for Brat to get rid of Cantor.
    Considering there was a 10% voter turnout across the entire district, I don't think anyone showed up for this one except the tea party idiots who wanted Cantor gone.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

@sahilkapur: David Brat on MSNBC, asked if there should be a minimum wage at all: "I don't have a well-crafted response on that one."

Economics professor

On one hand, it looks terrible as an economics professor not having a good response to it. But on the other, even if for or against it, as an economics professor, you really want to have a good argument based on real world data to backup your belief.

Also, just cause he's a professor doesn't make him a good economist, let alone good professor. Unless his name actually carries some weight in the economic circle, in which case I don't know of him and his work to have a well-crafted response.