Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Router bottle necking internet speed?

Decided to switch from the leased comcast modem, and purchased a great bundled deal from newegg.

Got a motorola SB6141, and a netear nighthawk router.

When I hooked up the cable modem I got my "normal" internet speeds of around 120 MBPS down, but when I connect my desktop to the router i'm only getting 20-23 MBPS down. Anything i'm going wrong here?

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Try turning off any QoS features on the Netgear.

If that doesn't help, other questions: Do you have any switches or other networking devices in between the router and PC?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Is it the nighthawk R7000? That thing only has gigabit ports, but maybe there's something going wrong with autosensing. Or, did you test it against several sources? Just because your connection can handle 120mbit/s doesn't mean that any server on the net can deliver such speed.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Turning off QoS helped for a good amount of time, started getting 100 Mbps down wired, and wireless.

Today I seem to be getting normal speeds wired, but 10-15 Mbps down wireless (without changing any settings from yesterday)

Just gonna spend a little while tinkering the WiFi settings, but my desktop is good now. Thanks xero!

And yes, is the r7000

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Speeds will vary a bit more over wireless due to distance and interference. Wireless AC or 5ghz N helps a bit but not everything supports those standards or cares to use them very well. QoS helps with prioritizing traffic, so that those huge downloads aren't hogging all the bandwidth when you actually want to surf (lots of very small files).

Stuff like downloading off steam used to kill my home network; all other machines would get next to no bandwidth if one of them was grabbing a large game, causing remote connections and online play to fail or get massive lag. QoS solved that problem, but I don't have a powerful connection, maybe 20 mbps max, so it maxes out quickly.