1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 16 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 43 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 23 hours, 16 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 10 hours, 43 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Second Coil of Bahamut voice chat concerns

So guys, I've been playing for about 2 months now. I've cleared 1st coil, and I'm close to being ready to attempt T6 with PUGs. I understand that using voice chat is considered standard operating procedure for SCoB. In every MMO that I've ever played, I've basically gone out of my way to avoid voice chat. This has usually resulted in me being unable to participate in whatever the hardest endgame content is in whichever MMO that I've been playing, as that content usually requires it. I was curious, when you guys do second coil, what happens on voice chat if someone makes a mistake? Do they get shouted or screamed at? I expect to make mistakes on my first few runs, because I won't know the fights very well, and T6 is a big step up from T5 as far as I can tell.

Also, I forgot to mention, I will be doing it with PUGs because I don't have a static. I don't think it would be a good idea trying to join one when I don't know the fights yet, lol.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

T6 is easier than T5, don't be afraid of randies on the internet yelling at you, join a learning PT or a "progression PT" as they say in the PF's and chill out.

Voice chat isn't required for shit but it makes it easier for everyone, especially when learning. Get over your fear of the big bad meanies and just jump on there.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by raginbull View Post
    I was curious, when you guys do second coil, what happens on voice chat if someone makes a mistake? Do they get shouted or screamed at?
    Varies wildly by group. I can't speak for PUGs, but my coil group jokes around and is generally pretty laid back. I know another coil group that yelled at each other and shit, but that was the norm for them. I know another group who treats it all as strictly business, and they'll certainly yell at someone, but only if they fuck the same thing up repeatedly.

If you feel like you're being harassed, just leave.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I've PUGed a lot of Coil2 and every group has been pretty damn cool. As long as you have an idea of whats going on and don't keep making the same mistakes you'll be fine.

Watch some videos, take some notes and join a group.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

In 99% of groups, the most hostile response you'll get is someone sighing loudly.

If anything, you can join a voice chat sever and listen only.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serenseven Dertavernen
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The most I've ever heard is a simple statement of fact, as in "X voiced the party" (you'll understand when you get to T7). I assume if X is the same person across multiple wipes things might turn ugly, but most of the time voice chat is pretty sedate, especially if it's a 7/8 or 6/8 FC group just needing one or two subs to fill in for a night.

Also T6 is not a big step up in terms of difficulty. T7 is, expect some strife during the learning process.

People are often nicer in voice chat than they would be in party chat, since it's less anonymous.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by lilbubbles View Post
    People are often nicer in voice chat than they would be in party chat, since it's less anonymous.
    This. I can vouch for this from a WoW standpoint. So much rage/anger flying around in chat, but pull about 15-20 of the 25 pugs in a voice chat then it becomes apparent no one wants to appear like a complete tool.

Back in 2005~ the rage thing might be more apparent, as voice chat was still relatively a new concept, somewhat. In a closed/organised group, I suspect this can happen from time to time, but in general I'd say people are willing to be quite civilised unless you react negatively/with hostility.

I was curious, when you guys do second coil, what happens on voice chat if someone makes a mistake? Do they get shouted or screamed at?
    Below is an extreme example, note that no I do not believe this is what happens now. However, your team members may all suddenly speak and point out the fact you've made a mistake:

However, if you continuously make a mistake again and again and again, I suspect some people might rage or politely stop/cancel the raid and then maybe have words with you.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    T6 is easier than T5
    I wouldn't say that. I would say the same thing to that as I say to people that say 7 is significantly harder than 6. 6 has a LOT of ways to micro-screw up that make the fight a bit harder, and to actually do the fight truly flawlessly is damn near impossible. t5/7 just have a couple relatively simple mechanics that they DEMAND mastery of, because if you screw them up, you'll probably wipe the entire group in the process.