• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Websites with videos embedded in them - preferences?

Was wondering what are your thoughts and feelings to videos embedded in websites, take a couple of scenarios:

1. Fixed size video, about 50% or less smaller, somewhat clear. even of you don't view it in its full detail. Can full screen for full detail. Can also visit the host (i.e. youtube)
    2. Thumbnail, tapping on it brings up an overlay and darkens the "background" (lightbox effect) to either a full size video, or about 75% of the original size. Can still visit the host (i.e youtube)

Presume you'll be browsing from a tablet and also a desktop pc/laptop. In both cases, it's an actual video and not just a link to a youtube video with just music (rendering #2 moot)

This is just to get an idea of people's thoughts and feelings over it. I can't decide which style to go for myself.

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I personally hate videos that auto start. Step 2 would get my vote

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Thanks for your input, I specifically made sure it does not autostart too. I too hate it when it autostarts. I was doing some tweaks earlier and I came up with the following system:

3. Youtube resized link (youtube resizes it better/smoother. my original one was all pixelated after resizing, and I couldn't find a way to smooth it out, so I opted to use youtube primarily) that can be fullscreened or you could visit the youtube page
    PLUS, a small text link right below it suggesting if nothing loads or if youtube is blocked, click here to view the video (which pops up an overlay/lightbox with the video, and you tap it to start)

I think for now this is the best system/method.

IMO the Youtube model is pretty perfect.

Half size embedded into the web page, with option to go to full Youtube site with the video. Clicking on it on a PC plays the video on the embedded video. Tapping on it with a tablet shows the video in full screen.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    IMO the Youtube model is pretty perfect.

Half size embedded into the web page, with option to go to full Youtube site with the video. Clicking on it on a PC plays the video on the embedded video. Tapping on it with a tablet shows the video in full screen.
    This. Also having embeds default to SD if there's a quality option. No reason for HD on a small window where half the detail would get lost.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yup I'm sticking with youtube with a local player as a fall back. I'm not looking to make money, these videos are unlisted and are just supplements to an article I am writing