1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 2 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I would blow a load in my pants if I got Fight or Flight.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I would blow a load in my pants if I got Fight or Flight.
    ^ Every fucking physical DPS would get fight or flight, GLA would be mandatory.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Not really.

/ARC gets fulltime damage+10% from trait and would have DMG+20% Raging Strikes on 120sec timer (also from trait), plus Bloodletter and Misery's End off GCD. If you need stun, you'd equip /MRD, otherwise everyone but WAR (who would be forced to /GLA) would equip /ARC while BRD would equip /LNC. (If you allow GCD abilities, /ARC is even more overpowered.)

BLM and SMN would get nothing from /CNJ, so their hands would be forced. SCH would have to choose between Swiftcast+Manaward and Cleric Stance, and would lose access to Protect/Stoneskin altogether. WHM would be choosing between Swift+Mward and Aetherflow x2/Energy Drain.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Wow, WHM with Aetherflow. This breaks the class.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Kaixin View Post
    Wow, WHM with Aetherflow. This breaks the class.
    Just like the good subjobs of XI old!

It helps that Yoshida is trying to avoid any job becoming undesirable and subjobs would most definitely introduce a new level of barance the dev bros simply don't care to introduce. I look at classes as being something that should have been scrapped completely, whiny legacy people be damned. Either make them viable for something or put them out to pasture by expansion #1.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

SCH with shroud ftw

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

But the thing is, classes as subjobs would still have the game on tight rails. PLD/WAR/MNK/DRG/BLM/SMN would have no choices at all and the only choice BRD gets is "Do we need another stun?" (but they can already make a similar choice now with Mantra vs. another GCD attack). SCH gets "choices" in the form of heavy nerfs (no more Pro/SS and has to choose between Swiftcast and Cleric). The only job that gets a new, compelling option is WHM.

I think the game would be far more interesting with my suggestion. GLA/MRD could equip Maiming/Striking gear and DD, THM could equip Healing gear and switch to Cleric for nuking, etc. It would give classes a purpose as true hybrids.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

while i understand the point about subjobs potentially being game-breaking, i'd rather the devs go that path and either A. tune up encounters to meet the more powerful job combos or B. tone down abilities when subbed (the way BFB and internal are right now) so that we could still get these really fun job/class combinations.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm not saying they would be game breaking. I'm saying that they would a) not make classes any more viable and b) allow for the-same-or-less customization than the current system.

Making classes viable allows for more variety in useful builds. The game right now neatly funnels you into equip ability X, Y, and Z for job N or you are doing it wrong.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Added a lengthy spiel from Yoshida about getting people to come back to the game. Last part's about Zodiac weapons and a couple random questions.

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    really fun job/class combinations.
    Not happening.

Everything Yoshi has done since day 1 has been to limit and simplify everything about the game mechanics.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

From the interview I get the strong suspicion they are going to really rework the class/job system for the expansion. but maybe they haven't quite figured out all the details yet.

I would like to see the attribute point system changed to something else. Doesn't have to be a talent tree a la wow or anything just something more thought provoking than what we have now.

Also I never got why people care about those that get loot and leave in CT. idk, too much raid finder in me I guess.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

From a development and operations side, it’s certainly disappointing to see customers leave the game, but from the players’ perspectives, it’s sad to see community members leaving and can be shocking and make people feel lonely. It’s something that I’ve experienced many times over the years playing MMORPGs.
    jeez. it's your 8-man lunch table design that makes people feel segregated and lonely. really don't know why he and his devs can't see that.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Added in the rest of the interview, I think that's all of it. I'll check the Famitsu and other versions at some point when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    jeez. it's your 8-man lunch table design that makes people feel segregated and lonely. really don't know why he and his devs can't see that.
    I suppose I could say making this their focus has led to the exclusion of other progression options like crafting and more reliable open world grinds. It's unfortunate he's basically cockblocking the former because he's afraid of RMT or people coming back suddenly feeling poor, but you know the fix to that? Make it so people can actually get those items by playing the game instead of playing the AH. As for the latter, I don't think the current game environment is really built for it. It's why I've clamored for new endgame zones in the past with themselves being better in scale and scope to yield some degree of dynamic play even if you do eventually see them all. Either way, repetition is gonna happen whether you craft all day, grind dungeons, or chase FATEs for seals. What turns me and others off is knowing that only one of those options really gets you anywhere in endgame. Making content easier after the fact isn't a fix to that problem in the present.

I've said it before, but if I could get all classes up to the same level without having to fudge with alts, SE can have my money. Right now, I'm not interested in a XIV where I have to pick one main job for patch cycle and maybe get a second up by the time the next hits because of gating. I don't expect everyone to do the same. I don't expect everyone to want to do the same. Really, I feel like his concept of keeping hardcores and casuals closer together backfired on him here.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    This is such a load of bullshit.

The game was completely overhauled with 2.0, 1.0 and 2.0 are completely separate games that share little more than art assets, Yoshi could have done whatever the fuck he wanted with the class/job system at that point.

They kept classes because of legacy players? Please.
    What are you talking about? He added a class -> job system on 1.18~1.23, and at the same time developed an entirely new system for 2.0. He did this because he needed to again, keep the interest in the game going. It was a sacrifice on his behalf because he knew was a gigantic waste of time going into it. Anyone can say that he could have done something else, of course. However, none of you are taking into account production costs, which was probably much lower at the time, as well as them now being on a tight schedule to meet a release date for ARR. Again, he was building up two games at the same time, one game of which he knew he was going to end. It's likely that he choose a very easy route instead of scraping the entire system for ARR.

And yes they did keep classes because of legacy players. It doesn't matter what you believe or think, there was a time where no one gave fuck about FFXIV outside of players who are now considered legacy. He still had to cater to those players as well as the players who were interested in ARR. What he didn't expect was the fact that ARR became a giant hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    And yes they did keep classes because of legacy players.
    hahahaohwow

edit: I'll just post this here again.

Classes have been completely irrelevant from the moment jobs were introduced in 1.0 (except THM).

With the move to 2.0 they had all the freedom in the world to either A) make classes relevant or B) scrap them at level 30 (if not sooner) and just have them be an introductory thing.

They chose C) keep them irrelevant while also hampering their own ability to design new jobs around existing classes.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    In fact, the drop rate of Atma is probably not as low as you might think, but if you’re doing it in combination with other things like using it to kill time waiting for Duty Finder, etc., you aren’t really spending six hours in FATEs, but it might give you that impression anyway.
    This is exactly where I am. I've finished a second set of atma and I don't really feel like I had to push that hard for it. I spent quite a while doing FATEs while queue'd and such.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

hahahaohwow

edit: I'll just post this here again.
    The quoted portion is pretty dumb and you don't sound like a person who knows (or cares) how general game development works.

No, they didn't have all of the "freedom" (time) in the world to completely to scrap classes at level 30 or make them relevant beyond that. If they had the time they would have done so, at the expense of players waiting even longer for 2.0. They simply copied over the general structure of how classes and jobs work onto 2.0, whilst removing redundant abilities that wouldn't work with their new system. They hoped classes would be more for general soloing and bullshit, hence they give you 10 slots instead of 5 for cross-class abilities. Scraping classes at 30 or sooner means they would have to account for class quests in 1.0 (for those people who are sub 30 or players who would be joining ARR in future).

It's either scrap classes entirely at the expense of a longer wait time for ARR, or include a more easily developed system that gets their product out on time. Keep in mind he was making executive choices for two games, one of which would tie into the other. They chose the latter. Now they have all of the time and funding to do whatever they want to the system.

How would it have increased development time to scrap classes.

They didn't do shit to make classes any more useful in 2.0 than they were in 1.0 (they're even less useful because of the even greater restrictions on cross class skills).

They didn't have to account for shit as far as class quests, are you kidding? They were all brand new in 2.0 anyway.