+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Problem after windows 7 update.

Just updated my windows 7 and now i got a black screen and a thing on the bottom right hand corner saying windows 7 build 7601 is not genuine. I have tried all the solutions and the last thing offered to me was to buy another key......I have windows 7 ultimate and am not looking to spend another $200 for something i should already have.

In my search i came across a thing called Wat Remover. I looked into it and it seems interesting but far to many sketchy sites for my untrained eye. Any help would be appreciative.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Can try system restore to a couple days ago. I haven't heard of an update causing you to lose the Windows genuine rating before, but that doesn't mean anything.

Do you have the ultimate disk? If so, what happens when you put in your authorization code again?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If the system restore doesn't give it back, and you don't feel like getting MS support on this (which does work), you can try windows loader by Daz (currently v2.2.2), which works on vista and 7. http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...oader-Download for one of his official threads. You can find other methods on that site as well with some digging, and they're legit (i've used and followed many for various activations). Obviously antivirus programs will flag it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Will try tonight after work. Sadly after moving so much I lost my disk in the process. Looked everywhere disappeared like the left sock in the dryer.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you need an iso for it, or just want an updated one, you can find them on the site I linked to earlier. There's a stickied thread there that has digitriver links to windows 7 isos, so they're straight from microsoft without any fuss (and damn fast). Find and use those if you need one, and browse around there for other methods since it's among the main places for this sort of thing.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Gotcha, Damn annoying to.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Where did you get your copy? If I remember right that error code means that the copy with that product key is already in use. If the box it came in was sealed it should be ok but I have heard of some shadey locales selling used copies. Oh, and have you changed any of your hardware recently?

perplexing perpetrator of in perpetuity
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Should just be able to reboot. I had the same thing happen to me today. Reboot and it came back genuine.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I had a local PC shop build my computer. They gave me the CD and everything. and everything has been fine for the past 2 years. Just this last update has caused this issue. Tried doing a system recovery to before the problem but it still popped up as non-genuine.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You should be able to just put your code in again. They might have stuck a sticker on the side of your box. Otherwise the code is probably in the disk box.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

No code, was most likely on the CD case they gave me. Tried reboot. Tried everything except calling Microsoft.

Went to digital life forums but there links throw turns on my anti virus sirens ( have eset nod).

I have Windows 7 ultimate the 1st set.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Antivirus programs would flag it since their use is common enough. The sites they use to host also like to attach a downloader junkware, but this can be disabled by a simple checkbox on the webpage.

The programs though will be flagged; this is normal since they circumvent MS's protections in different ways. There's a couple solutions to try, though if you're not comfortable with any of this, give MS a call or buy another license. You may want to find a program to reveal what your key was just in case they need it (I've never gone that route, so idk what info they need).

That site is reliable as long as you get your host link from the source (ie: daz's loader straight from one of daz's posts, etc). I probably should not have directly linked the site in the first place, but I could PM you directly to the files and posts.

Or email, etc, if you trust me.

Sounds like you got hit with the "KB971033" update. A post found here talks about it: http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-u...-kb971033.html

I also had the same issue a long time ago. When I did a windows update, I told windows to hide that update and never install it. I never had a problem since. It may be to late so I'm not sure if you can do a system restore and go back before the update was made and hide it then or not. I thought when I did it, I had to do a fresh reinstall then hide that update from ever happening.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Oh hey I learned something. Try this:

Windows Update > View Update History > Installed Updates > Then you can sort by date and uninstall the updates from that date.

This may or may not fix your issue.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Going to try a few things that people PMed me. will post results tomorrow.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There are programs that can pull the registration code used from your registry, so you can keep a copy. I keep a copy on my flash drive because of stuff like this: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ Beware to say no to the junkware they try to bundle with it.

I've seen Vista and 7 need reactivation after some patches, especially service packs, and have had to often type the code in again to get it working.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I am finally back on track. After following a few instructions from those that PMed me i was able to re input my original key and have it seen as normal again. You guys have saved me a lot of headaches.

I also found out that the KB971033 was the issue. After removing it then re running the authentication from microsoft i was able to authenticate everything.