bad for ringthree

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    there need to be a bunch of different groups because they all oppose same sects
    rofl

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Lumping them all together as Christians completely ignores vast differences in the religions and their philosophical approaches to God. It is a moronic statement to begin with. Who doesn't know that Catholics and Protestants and both Christians? Stating that like it is some kind of revelation is a blinding glimpse of the obvious. Saying there is no difference between what makes them Christian ignores basically all of what makes them different.

I thought it was pretty ironic that Kuro was accusing anyone of going full retard.
    Not even close dude. It is, quite frankly, ignorant to claim any sect (or person for that matter) isn't Christian as long as that sect believes Jesus was the messiah. The end.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Not even close dude. It is, quite frankly, ignorant to claim any sect (or person for that matter) isn't Christian as long as that sect believes Jesus was the messiah. The end.
    "I believe that Jesus is the Messiah, and that means that I have to drink the blood of babies, rape every person I ever meet, and defecate on the Constitution of America."

There is some degree of variation to exactly what "Jesus" means from person to person and denomination to denomination, but there's a pretty normative curve where most Christians will recognize the Jesus of other denominations as their Jesus. Most Catholics, protestants, and Orthodox Christians do not see the Jesus the Mormon's acknowledge as the same Jesus-- the Book of Mormon so fundamentally changes the nature of God and of Jesus, that it's just not the same being. It's really not just a question of the name-- it's a question of what that name means, and the distinction between Mormonism and Christianity is pretty significant. The fact that there is a third testament to their faith should be a pretty clear indication that Mormonism is as far removed from Christianity as Christianity is from Judaism. Yes, there are similarities. Yes, they are Abrahamic faiths. I don't object to the idea that Mormonism has its origins in Christianity But just as Jesus is different from the Messiah that Jusaism awaits, and that is the primary distinction between the two faiths (from a theological standpoint), the Jesus of the Mormons is very, very different from the Jesus of Christians-- to say nothing of the remainder of the tenants of the differences of the faiths, which, again, are not insignificant.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The problem with that is you are deciding what level of difference is "enough," and that varies from person to person and time to time. Thousands of people died because of the difference between literal and figurative communion wafers, they would definitely say that was a big enough difference, and a major tenant of the faith that must be followed.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

tenet

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    "I believe that Jesus is the Messiah, and that means that I have to drink the blood of babies, rape every person I ever meet, and defecate on the Constitution of America."
    Ok and? Being Christian doesn't automatically mean you are a good person. In fact there are millions out there who identify as Christian who do terrible things. I really fucking hate the phrase "no true Christian..." So don't bother.

There is some degree of variation to exactly what "Jesus" means from person to person and denomination to denomination, but there's a pretty normative curve where most Christians will recognize the Jesus of other denominations as their Jesus. Most Catholics, protestants, and Orthodox Christians do not see the Jesus the Mormon's acknowledge as the same Jesus-- the Book of Mormon so fundamentally changes the nature of God and of Jesus, that it's just not the same being. It's really not just a question of the name-- it's a question of what that name means, and the distinction between Mormonism and Christianity is pretty significant. The fact that there is a third testament to their faith should be a pretty clear indication that Mormonism is as far removed from Christianity as Christianity is from Judaism. Yes, there are similarities. Yes, they are Abrahamic faiths. I don't object to the idea that Mormonism has its origins in Christianity But just as Jesus is different from the Messiah that Jusaism awaits, and that is the primary distinction between the two faiths (from a theological standpoint), the Jesus of the Mormons is very, very different from the Jesus of Christians-- to say nothing of the remainder of the tenants of the differences of the faiths, which, again, are not insignificant.
    Who give a shit? Who defines which of those are allowed and which aren't? I think the only argument that could be made about Mormons is the addition of another book (a la Muslim). The difference, however, is Islam downgraded Jesus to being a prophet, but Mormons still consider him the messiah. I think that argument could only be made by Mormons had they wanted to separate themselves. But they don't. They consider themselves Christians, and I say more fucking power to them.

I would rather have them under my umbrella than the WBC, and even they get to call themselves Christians, (but I will judge the ever-loving fuck out of them).

The only reason Jesus is part of the Mormon religion at all is because Joseph Smith would have been lynched the moment he tried to tell anyone that Jesus wasn't the Messiah or that someone else was.

He co-opted JC for his own fan-fic religion because there was no other way it would have worked.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

So Mormonism is shit tier Christian region.? What is considered god- tier Christian sect?

Missing the point.

The fact that there is a third testament to their faith should be a pretty clear indication that Mormonism is as far removed from Christianity as Christianity is from Judaism.
    Think that was the best way to put it.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

You guys are all terrible. What does any of this have to do with this case or its repercussions?

I wouldn't care if I knew how to tell tapatalk to ignore the updates in the thread, but fuck...c'mon guys lol.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Go into notifications, settings, turn off subscribed topics and forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    You guys are all terrible. What does any of this have to do with this case or its repercussions?

I wouldn't care if I knew how to tell tapatalk to ignore the updates in the thread, but fuck...c'mon guys lol.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Omg thank you!

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The hits keep on comin'

“The court of appeals is ordered by the Supreme Court to follow its decision in Hobby Lobby,” said Erin Mersino, the attorney handling Potter’s case at the Christian, conservative Thomas More Law Center.

“For years, Michael Potter, a Roman Catholic, President and sole shareholder of Eden Foods Corporation, for religious reasons, had arranged for the Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance coverage he designed for his employees to specifically exclude coverage for contraception and abortifacients,” said a statement released by the center this week.

“In accordance with his Catholic faith, Potter believes that any action which either before, at the moment of, or after sexual intercourse, is specifically intended to prevent procreation, whether as an end or means — including abortifacients and contraception — is wrong.”
    #notallcatholics

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

if you don't want to procreate you better do it the christian way
    slam a bible shut on your balls

“In accordance with his Catholic faith, Potter believes that any action which either before, at the moment of, or after sexual intercourse, is specifically intended to prevent procreation, whether as an end or means — including abortifacients and contraception — is wrong.”
    I bet he has never masturbated ever...and therein lies the problem.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post

There was a point to this discussion about 10 pages ago.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    That's not what I said at all.