+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    No. A corporation can consist of only one person. It's just legal nonsense, mostly paperwork.
    Sorry, I edited my comment to be more clear.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

In case anyone is wondering hobby lobby does cover vasectomy

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    If this only effects private companies then this ruling isn't as harmful as people make it. It sucks and affects some people, but not anywhere near as broad as title suggests.
    It is part of a build 5-4 set of case law. They are trying to build precedence for the notion. It makes expanding these imaginary rights easier in future decisions. Its a very dangerous path to take.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

If this only effects private companies then this ruling isn't as harmful as people make it. It sucks and affects some people, but not anywhere near as broad as title suggests.
    You realize the Koch bros company is a closely held corporation right?

There are more large closely held corporations than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    In case anyone is wondering hobby lobby does cover vasectomy
    Isn't this against catholic teachings as well? How the fuck... I mean, I guess I shouldn't be shocked anymore when religious people are hypocrites, but that's just fucking blatant.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Isn't this against catholic teachings as well? How the fuck... I mean, I guess I shouldn't be shocked anymore when religious people are hypocrites, but that's just fucking blatant.
    Because it isn't about religion, it never was. Its about "traditional values" and those values can be anything, and as long as they can be mixed in with religion they can apparently be upheld. Those traditional values often include the role of men and women in the family, work place and society.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    You realize the Koch bros company is a closely held corporation right?

There are more large closely held corporations than people think.
    This. It does affect quite a lot of people, but it's the difference between everyone in the country and maybe 50-60% (rough estimate, probably very generous; I couldn't find any statistics with a quick google).

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The only reason to declare corporations are people is to more easily and effectively trample the right's of actual people.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Religion can be applied to any arbitrary topic (like contraception) and the government shouldn't be restricted from creating laws on arbitrary topics due to religious beliefs.

Terrible decision, Supreme Court. Pointy implications 0/10 would not approve.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

If this was a public company (with associated benefits), gov agency, etc I'm all for the pitchforks, but that's not the situation. This case walked a fine line, and they chose to uphold a companies rights as a private corporation. There's nothing wrong with that, even if you think the company is run by bible thumping twats (which they are). These aren't basic rights being violated (as much as people would wish they are), so legally where is the leg to stand on here?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

If this was a public company (with associated benefits), gov agency, etc I'm all for the pitchforks, but that's not the situation. This case walked a fine line, and they chose to uphold a companies rights as a private corporation. There's nothing wrong with that, even if you think the company is run by bible thumping twats (which they are). These aren't basic rights being violated (as much as people would wish they are), so legally where is the leg to stand on here?
    There is a major problem with granting rights to a non-person.

I'm starting up a company and will be withholding service to all middle aged and senior white males due to my religion. It will be a strip club/coke dealership

blax n gunz
    BG Level

It does continue the distressing trend that corporations are politically intact extensions of a person's (or a few persons) will. You now have no choice but to endorse that will by shopping there. You can't divide the act of shopping there from their stone-age misogyny. People have believed this since before this ruling (see Chik-Fil-A) but the walls keep coming down; It's an 'all or nothing,' uncompromising and divisive way to organize society and that's just plain harmful. We should have never let that shit mix together, Corporations should never have been granted personhood.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I'm starting up a company and will be withholding service to all middle aged and senior white males due to my religion. It will be a strip club/coke dealership
    /Thread

Mersegi, I am totally sharing that line with a couple of people I know today. You will of course get credit.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Was just watching LWTWJO about this last night, it's really annoying how what should be a straight forward decision goes 5-4 because everything has to be politicized now.

Also by what metric anywhere are Christians a minority in the US.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Yeah sure, if you can the gov. to agree you're a real religion. You can't be the first person to try this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    It does continue the distressing trend that corporations are politically intact extensions of a person's (or a few persons) will. You now have no choice but to endorse that will by shopping there. You can't divide the act of shopping there from their stone-age misogyny. People have believed this since before this ruling (see Chik-Fil-A) but the walls keep coming down; It's an 'all or nothing,' uncompromising and divisive way to organize society and that's just plain harmful. We should have never let that shit mix together, Corporations should never have been granted personhood.
    You raise a good point, but are ignoring that these are private companies. They can run their shit however they want, and if they don't want to provide contraceptives then so be it. We don't have to support them, and you are within your right to campaign and protest against their twatty practices. Again, the item in question is not some basic right being violated, it's just an easier (and better working) form of birth control that women prefer to take.

We aren't freeing the slaves here folks, and majority of companies (and people eligible) are still getting their bc the same ol way.

@salodin

It's cool. My religion isn't founded by darkies so obviously it will get approved! Also I don't call god or jesus by weird names.

Also I think the major thing is that hobby Lobby and chik fila are not a small private business that employs 20 ppl or so. They are major companies and I don't care what they think of themselves.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    It should be when it perpetuates harm to others you fuckwit.
    But Christians were the ones getting harmed. So it's OK for a certain group of people to be harmed? Isn't that was racism is?

You raise a good point, but are ignoring that these are private companies. They can run their shit however they want, and if they don't want to provide contraceptives then so be it. We don't have to support them, and you are within your right to campaign and protest against their twatty practices. Again, the item in question is not some basic right being violated, it's just an easier (and better working) form of birth control that women prefer to take.

We aren't freeing the slaves here folks, and majority of companies (and people eligible) are still getting their bc the same ol way.
    It doesn't matter how big the violation is - a person's freedom of religion stops the moment they would use their religion to impact other people. You want to mutilate the genitals of your baby because your religion says it's necessary? Fuck you. You want to stop people from preventing unwanted children? Fuck you. This isn't the beginning of using religion to fuck over your employees (the catholic church has been doing it forever in schools, and increasingly in large hospital organizations), but it is a clear expansion into new territory (non-religious entities using religion to fuck over people).

Religion is the single worst rationale you can use to try to change someone's behavior. It's the intellectual equivalent of "because I fucking said so."

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Egon, c'mon.

Anyway, I don't agree with 'how' this went down but I also don't agree that any company should be forced to pay for anyone's contraceptives either so I don't really care too much either way.