RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    That's why condoms and vasectomys aren't blasphemous, but the pill is.
    Then why are catholic missionaries fucking over African and other less developed countries with their anti condom campaigns?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

If you want real change you need to be patient and educate them on why they're wrong and the benefits of doing things your way.
    The 'be patient and change their minds' approach hasn't produced the kinds of results that a political process that resets itself every even year can deliver, and we are talking about religious extremists here.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Then why are catholic missionaries fucking over African and other less developed countries with their anti condom campaigns?
    Should I ignore this, or point out how not every religious organization goes this far? But go ahead and assert your point with terrible generalizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    The 'be patient and change their minds' approach hasn't produced the kinds of results that a political process that resets itself every even year can deliver, and we are talking about religious extremists here.
    So your solution is to do to them what they do to you. Effective...If immature. We're better then that. At least, I like to think we are.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Christians are a minority now.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Should I ignore this, or point out how not every religious organization goes this far? But go ahead and assert your point with terrible generalizations.
    I listed a specific organization. Catholic church is a major driving force behind the spread of aids in Africa. Please explain to me how they don't consider condoms to be a sin.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    I'm starting to actually believe I am the only one on these forums with half a brain.
    I sure hope you find the other half.

In all seriousness, I'm not so worried about the ruling as I am about the precedent it will set.

Basically, it's not okay to discriminate against religions but it's okay to discriminate if you're religious. I'm not okay with that. This country is trying to trend towards a theocratic oligarchy and it (the future) is not looking bright.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

so if corporations are people and can hold religious views, why don't we start putting them in prison when they do shady shit? seize all assets, seize all employees responsible for shady shit, everything. if you're a person capable of religious beliefs, you're capable of ethical thought.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    so if corporations are people and can hold religious views, why don't we start putting them in prison when they do shady shit? seize all assets, seize all employees responsible for shady shit, everything. if you're a person capable of religious beliefs, you're capable of ethical thought.
    Because doing that will cost people their jobs, and the economy can't take any more unemployment!

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

If corporations are people why hasn't GM been put on deathrow for multiple counts of criminally negligent manslaughter.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

So your solution is to do to them what they do to you. Effective...If immature. We're better then that. At least, I like to think we are.
    I think I can live with myself if the results are that a woman's access to important medical care is increased.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I'm mostly worried about this definition of religious freedom as anything other than the personal practice of one's religious believes. It looks like they want to define religious freedom to mean the ability to prevent someone else from doing something you disagree with.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I listed a specific organization. Catholic church is a major driving force behind the spread of aids in Africa. Please explain to me how they don't consider condoms to be a sin.
    You mean like how the new pope has justified the use of condoms?

Progress.

And how is not offering birth control considered discrimination? People are really trying to jump high on this, huh?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

if more religious people had been using condoms the world would be a better place

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    if more religious people had been using condoms the world would be a better place
    Some days I wish I had a "like" button on BG.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I'm mostly worried about this definition of religious freedom as anything other than the personal practice of one's religious believes. It looks like they want to define religious freedom to mean the ability to prevent someone else from doing something you disagree with.
    Ding ding ding! This is what worries me.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I can certainly agree with that.
    Its problematic to a certain extent, especially if this is used as precedent for something even dumber down the line.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Like y'all are doing here? Holyyy shittt

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

That's what worries you, and not the desire to force your beliefs on someone doesn't? Like y'all are doing here? Holyyy shittt
    Well, in this particular context it isn't so awful. At least I don't think so, but it could potentially open some doors that few want to see opened.
    Government really should be a non-factor in this discussion. Unfortunately though... here we are.

imo it should be:
    "Get the government out of my birth control!" NOT "Government, please, force those people to pay for my birth control."

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

What I see here is people being ok with discrimination as long as people agree with their pov.

What is this shit? We tolerate religious bullshit because we're tolerant guys. We know they're stupid, and we're fixing it slowly. Yes, we might not see the changes we want in our lifetimes, but things are changing for the better. This is not the battle you guys are acting like it is.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    I'm surprised that most liberals are sad by the ruling. Isn't it ya'lls job to look out for the little man? Christians are a minority now.

It shouldn't be wrong for Christians to actually have and act on a faith.
    Laws should never ever ever ever be determined by religion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast