+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leftovers (HBO)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Leftovers (HBO)

Anyone else check this out last night? I haven't read the book, but have heard good things. It's not a particularly original story (I was glad Kirk Cameron didn't make a cameo), but some of the elements (notably the Guilty Remnants) stood out as particularly intriguing.

First episode was a little slow, but was obviously intended to set the stage and provide some character background.

I'm definitely interested to see where it goes, but can't say it jumped out and grabbed me and became a "must watch." I'll keep it on my DVR for the time being, though, for sure. And considering it's the worst time of the year for quality TV, I'll probably watch all 10-13 episodes this season, barring a turn for the worse.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

I really enjoyed it. Fingers crossed Plow does not watch it/ read the book

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I was interested in the show until all of the previews gave me a strong religious vibe, which I just don't really care for. Let me know if its not strongly Rapture driven/preachy and I'll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    I really enjoyed it. Fingers crossed Plow does not watch it/ read the book
    Rofl. Holdup, let me get a gif.

Get

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Let me know if its not strongly Rapture driven/preachy and I'll check it out
    I wouldn't call it preachy, and there is a religious element, but I didn't find it overwhelming. Others may have felt differently. The Guilty Remnants appear cult-like, but not necessarily a religious cult. And while some characters certainly mentioned the word "Rapture," I think that's going to be a natural reaction to the event.

I think they've made it pretty clear that they're not actually interested in what caused the disappearance, but more interested in the ramifications afterwards. Indeed, in the first episode, there's a scene on TV with congressional hearings which scientists basically toss up their hands and say "We don't have a clue," which (I think) is meant to convey to the audience that they're not interested in solving past mysteries but more interested in looking at what happens next.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

HBO put it online for free as well if people are interested.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

We'll see where this goes, it's intriguing but could turn annoying fast if taken in a stupid direction.
    For now, I'll watch hoping there's more sweaty&shirtless&naked Theroux.

Alarial

Has potential. I'll give it a shot.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Saw the first episode, was interesting enough that I'll watch the next episode.

The thing that kind of bothers me is that I've read that the showrunners have no intention of attempting to explain how or why all the people disappeared, which I find irritating. Whether or not it prevents me from watching the show remains to be seen. Is it touched on in the book at all?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    The thing that kind of bothers me is that I've read that the show-runners have no intention of attempting to explain how or why all the people disappeared, which I find irritating. Whether or not it prevents me from watching the show remains to be seen. Is it touched on in the book at all?
    I believe the book didn't answer it either, but that's hearsay from other message boards, as I haven't actually read it.

I believe this statement was made to avoid two issues.

1) They don't want a Killing-like audience reaction at the end of the first season when they don't solve the mystery; this keeps the lack of answer from being a surprise. If the show gets into a second or third season, that would potentially give them the time and space to look into it. But they know it's not going to be answered in season one, so they're avoiding building audience expectation that it will be answered.

2) One of the co-creators was one of the co-creators of Lost. One of the (many) criticisms of Lost was that it didn't answer many of the questions that were "promised," or appeared to be promised. By letting people know up front there are no hard answers coming, that expectation of answers isn't there.

And, honestly, is there any answer that would actually be satisfying? The obvious answer is a Rapture-like event, but the audience the show is aiming for doesn't necessarily want a biblical show. Sometimes, questions without answers are better than disappointing answers.

Alarial

So watching the episode again last night, there was a point where he hit "something" with his car and it was kicking and screaming (didn't show the animal). Then it just flashed forward to him waking up naked in his bed.

What the fuck was that? Something with the Deers? What happened?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, it was the deer.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Watched the first episode, was definitely interesting. This show is also on at a good point, since I have nothing else to really watch at the moment besides anime. >.>

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    We'll see where this goes, it's intriguing but could turn annoying fast if taken in a stupid direction.
    For now, I'll watch hoping there's more sweaty&shirtless&naked Theroux.
    the over done dick printing through the sweats weren't enough? lol

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Spoiler: show

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Watched maybe 30 mins of it. Couldn't stand it. Turned it off. Not engaging whatsoever. That's great they're setting the stage and such and creating different character stories. They were all so boring.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The second episode was similar to the first, in my eyes. Lots of potential for interesting things, but little actually happening. I was surprised at how quickly the government raid happened, for some reason I thought we'd be spending a lot more time on The Cult of Wayne's Hot Asian Chicks compound. Liv Tyler's story does nothing for me, nor do the teenagers, but I thought the woman who lost her family interviewing the old couple, the vanishing bagels, and the dog-shooting stranger were all interesting sub-plots.

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Will keep watching, at least for now.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

I will also keep watching. Boy was I relieved when he found the bagel

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

I think a lot of the symbology and metaphors in this show are flying over my head. I had no idea what the hell was happening in most of this episode.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I think a lot of the symbology and metaphors in this show are flying over my head. I had no idea what the hell was happening in most of this episode.
    There does seem to be a lot of parable-type mythology on the show, much of which is clearly lost but might become clear later, which is certainly akin to Lost. I had to look up the title of last night's episode, Two Boats and a Helicopter, which apparently refers to this joke, an extremely obscure reference.

Overall though, I thought last night's episode was the best of the three we've seen so far. Although focused on the one character, I like that we learned more about other characters, and seeing whatshername in the cop's backyard was a nice touch. The flashback to the opening scene of the series was also well done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast