• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Comcast is ass, going to Fios. Have a question

Looking at these plans for Verizon, a lot of them are labeled at $xx.xx/month for 2years. But if you click on details it says "no annual contract required"

Does this mean I can drop the service at anytime? Aka if I move and don't need to sign a contract or are they wording it in a way to fuck me over?

actual text:

iOS INTERNET – NO ANNUAL CONTRACT
    Limited-time offer for new fiber-ready res. custs.(w/ an existing Optical Network Terminal) subscribing to FiOS Internet online. Promo rate via $35 bill credit for 24 mos.; beg. mo. 25 stand. monthly rates apply. Price guarantee applies to base monthly rate only; excl. optional services & equip. charges. Rate may increase after 24 mos. $4.99 wireless router rental fee, & other fees, taxes, equip. charges & terms may apply. Activation fee waived via bill credit. Subj. to credit approval & may require a deposit. FiOS avail. in select areas. Actual speeds may vary. Backup battery available for FiOS voice services & E911 (but not data or video).Verizon Wi-Fi available with select packages. Software limitations and other terms apply. Visit verizon.com/wifi for details and availability.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's just that you have that low price for a year or whatever then they double the rate. No contract involved.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You get the rate for two years, then you need to pay regular rate or cancel and get someone's else's name on the bill if the deal is still available. If you move you can keep the promo rate.

Ahh cool. So set up to get it installed July 8th, my comcast bill paid up to 7/15. So do I need to cancel comcast BEFORE I can have them set up FioS or will the tech handle the switch over? I dont want to cancel comcast right now because I dont trust them to not just drop my internet/cable on me even though my bill was for 6/15 to 7/15.

I just did the FiOS account holder switcheroo to still get the promo rate (I'm getting on contract because I'm not really going to another provider anyway). For FiOS, you can have them schedule your account closing date, so I'm guessing it should be similar for Comcast.

Otherwise, the tech should know how to perform the switch (probably just disconnecting the coax cable from the ground and connect it to the ONT)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hope you don't play FFXIV if you're moving to FiOS.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Ahh cool. So set up to get it installed July 8th, my comcast bill paid up to 7/15. So do I need to cancel comcast BEFORE I can have them set up FioS or will the tech handle the switch over? I dont want to cancel comcast right now because I dont trust them to not just drop my internet/cable on me even though my bill was for 6/15 to 7/15.
    I wouldn't cancel until you have working fios. You can unhook your equipment and drop it off at their office for a prorated amount back.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

My FIOS 50/10 just shot up to $94.99/mo after the $35 promo wore off. I tried both the web reps and a phone rep and they insisted they couldn't do a thing ... then the phone rep redirected me to another kind of phone rep and they said they could get me a $10 discount ... then I asked what if I commit for 2 years and they said another $5 discount ... and finally I dropped to 20Mb plan for another $10 decrease and I'm down to $69.99 at 20Mbps for 2 years ...which admittedly isn't as good as 50Mbps at $59.99, but its good enough.

Not too bad if you don't have another name to use.

I love Telecom logic though ... $94.99 for just 50/10 internet .. ooorrr ... $94.99 for 50/10 Internet PLUS TV PLUS Phone. Assholes.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Relevant

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Please note: this conversation starts about 10 minutes in -- by this point my wife and I are both completely flustered by the oppressiveness of the rep.

So! Last week my wife called to disconnect our service with Comcast after we switched to another provider (Astound). We were transferred to cancellations (aka "customer retention").

The representative (name redacted) continued aggressively repeating his questions, despite the answers given, to the point where my wife became so visibly upset she handed me the phone. Overhearing the conversation, I knew this would not be very fun.

What I did not know is how oppressive this conversation would be. Within just a few minutes the representative had gotten so condescending and unhelpful I felt compelled to record the speakerphone conversation on my other phone.

This recording picks up roughly 10 minutes into the call, whereby she and I have already played along and given a myriad of reasons and explanations as to why we are canceling (which is why I simply stopped answering the rep's repeated question -- it was clear the only sufficient answer was "Okay, please don't disconnect our service after all.").

Please forgive the echoing and ratcheting sound, I was screwing together some speaker wires in an empty living room!
    https://soundcloud.com/ryan-block-10/comcastic-service

Man, I read this in the morning and I was just baffled. Comcast came out in response that they are going to question the Rep. Typical.

Trigun

Had the same run around with Xbox Live when all I wanted to do was "Suspend" the subscription because I wouldn't be able to pay the year.
    (They removed the "Suspend" option from the account website so you had to call in)
    The guy kept telling me ok we can bring it down to $50, $30, all the way down to $1 for the next month.
    I had to keep saying no because I was going to have $0 in the bank but I was blown away at the $1 offer.
    Then he had an attitude when his required arguing time was up and had to terminate the service.

The first person you talk to should be able to do what you need but they send you to a sales rep. to try and sell you on keeping the service.
    Like a Wolf of Wall Street kinda person.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I didn't want to start another new thread about Comcast so I'll ask here. I recently moved and was told I was receiving Blast for $39.99 per month. They asked me if I wanted tv and I clearly said no. I received my bill today and I am getting billed for limited basic tv, hbo, streampix, and a standard box. Is there any legal action I can take? What options do I have other than arguing with these fools?

Did you get your confirmation order when you signed up?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yes I do. It's at work, but I absolutely have it.

Yeah then you should have a very good chance of reversing it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I was just told by retention I was put into this package to get the pricing and I should just accept it. I'm not sure if anything on this planet makes me as mad as comcast does.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Just spent about 1hr and 20 minutes on hold waiting for sales to pick up. The line finally picks up, and it's just static, but I can hear people in the background. Finally I hear someone say, "OMG she left her phone off the hook" and they tried to hang it up. It must not have caught just right because I was still on the line when they tried to dial a number. I said loudly, "hello?" and they finally hung up.

If I was even accused of selling things to people that they didn't ask for at my job I would be fired and possibly lose my insurance licenses. It's amazing how Comcast gets away with this.

Bringer of Bacon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Amazing what you can get away with when you are the only "good" option for a lot of people. My choices were either Comcast, or one of the worst DSL connections I've ever used. Comcast took 7 weeks to get the line underground from the pole to my house. Once they got the cable outside my house they wanted another 2 weeks to get a tech out to do the rest. I canceled the "$40 one time install" and ran the coax through the attic myself.

Google, hurry up and get your damn fiber in Portland so I can just move there already.