1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 5 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 17 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 16 hours, 5 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Playing again after 8 months

So after I left in mid-October and had PLD and GSM at 50 and a few other classes at 30. My next 50 is probably DRG. Got all the way to Titan for the curtana quest, so I've never set foot in the coil. This brings me to my question (which I know will sound silly): I know FATEs were the thing back in the day, but how do people level nowadays?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Same ways. FATEs and daily runs. Dalies give a metric ton of xp, as do the weekly challenge logs when you start stacking all the bonuses, like doing all of the dungeon-related ones on the job you want to level. The challenge log quest begins in limsa, I believe.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Duty roulettes weren't a thing in October! Challenge Log (quest starts in Limsa Adventurer Guild to unlock) gives you exp for doing shit you'd be doing anyways (leves, dungeons, beastmen dailies). You'll want to unlock beastmen dailies probably not as fast as spamming dungeons/FATEs but monotony yo. iirc it's like Kobolds @ Lv41, Sylphs @ 42, Amaljaa @ 43, Sahagin @ 44. With the addition of the Echo Coil and Relic quest should be faceroll easy. Especially with overgeared players doing Trial Roulettes for myth/soldiery.

Basically do your Low Level and Guildhest roulettes daily. They fixed Guildhests (kind of) so you get the bonus exp for completing the first time per job instead of overall. Like you'll get bonus exp for doing it on your DRG even if you've done it on PLD now instead of getting shitty exp. Near the end of the grinds (44+) I've heard people spamming the first room of Aurum Vale / Dzemael Darkhold for EXP but I wouldn't expect that from Duty Finder. Apparently it's like 50-70k? exp (and that's just the first room so it's done in like 10min max)

Disclaimer: I never actually did the spam first room of mid 40s dungeons, but have heard good things.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    I've heard people spamming the first room of Aurum Vale / Dzemael Darkhold for EXP but I wouldn't expect that from Duty Finder. Apparently it's like 50-70k? exp (and that's just the first room so it's done in like 10min max)
    I think you meant Party Finder, you won't be doing that for long if you do it in DF.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ah, ok. Thanks for the pointers. That's cool the challenges reset every week.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    I think you meant Party Finder, you won't be doing that for long if you do it in DF.
    Er, that's what I said? I mean....that's what I meant by "I wouldn't expect [to farm the first room] from Duty Finder"

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Well, yeah, because it's pretty much impossible.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Wha? I mean if you were in a Duty Finder group that wanted to do that you'd votekick someone and all drop.

i dont get impossible

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Presumably if you wind up with a DF group doing that, you're the odd-man out, so you're the one that's going to get kicked, and you're very unlikely to just reconnect with all those people. Also can't you only votekick once in 4 hours? 'Impossible' may be incorrect but it seems grossly infeasible. I must just be missing something.

At any rate, awful lot of work to do only to earn yourself more confusion, rather than just pick up a guy in PF.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I really don't understand. I said it would be unlikely for you to successfully do it in Duty Finder already.

wouldn't meaning would NOT expect it in Duty Finder (though I have heard of it)

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Your wording made me think it was possible someone might land in a group doing it, not just "trying" (and failing). We're on the same page I think.

DR up to 1st boss spam is hilariously easy and good exp if you can find a group to just burn through it. I like to kill 1st boss though too for slut gear.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    weekly challenge logs
    This is by far the most important thing to unlock for a returning player. The quest to unlock it is some lv15ish quest in Limsa Lominsa next to the leve counter.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

You're ignoring the most important reason that Rocl's strategy wouldn't work, and that's the fact that vote kicking someone doesn't count as anyone leaving as far as triggering the penalty and allowing others to leave without penalty. The first of the 3 remaining players to leave would incur the penalty. The best you could do for spammability is wait out the 10 or 15 minute (I forget which, think it's 10) timer before you can vote abandon. Or better yet, continue to grind it out.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    You're ignoring the most important reason that Rocl's strategy wouldn't work, and that's the fact that vote kicking someone doesn't count as anyone leaving as far as triggering the penalty and allowing others to leave without penalty. The first of the 3 remaining players to leave would incur the penalty. The best you could do for spammability is wait out the 10 or 15 minute (I forget which, think it's 10) timer before you can vote abandon. Or better yet, continue to grind it out.
    Um what? If the party isn't full you can leave without penalty.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Not if it isn't full because you vote kicked someone. They took that loophole out before they had added the vote abandon option because people were abusing it.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Best to just put up a PF group, can leave without penalties in premades and always get the same peeps lol

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Hijacking thread for a question I shouldn't even need to ask but lolSE. Is there any way to update the damn game without an active sub? Wanted to update to check out the free weekend and see if it's actually worth resubbing 6 months later but I can't even log in to the launcher.

You can log in during the free weekend itself and have the game update then. Should take about an hour tops. I actually wanted to know the answer to this myself, but from what it seems you have to have an active connection to the game (either through weekend or sub) to update it.

Nice avatar BTW. It's missing Xilia though.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This seemed appropriate. If i keep doing the main story quest will it eventually unlock all the access i need to participate in all the events? Im trying to play catch up but probably should have picked it back up at 2.2 lol. Theres alot of shit.