1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 10 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 17 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 16 hours, 10 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think Free Stance is intended to be "hybrid" (i.e. mediocre attacker with a bit of regen) and you're supposed to micromanage if you want it to specifically tank/heal/DPS.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

This is kind of a noob question but I remember during the beta, they had a "debate" about whether or not to allow your chocobo to do AOE actions (speaking primarily toward the Rank 10 tank ability). IIRC, the final result was "She won't do it automatically but you can make her do it."

...so, is there something you have to do to make that work in that way? You can't make chocobo action macros apparently, so I have no idea how to tell your chocobo not to do that, other than simply not buying the ability.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There isn't one that I've found. WTB disable button for Choco Medica.

Also, the TNL is gonna be hilarious.

Edit: Free Stance:

Also uses Choco Surge (R6 ability) regularly.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I thought Free Stance locked out everything but the first action of each branch?

I don't have Choco Cure unlocked on mine, but we tested it on my friend's bird and it wouldn't use Choco Cure unless it was in Healer Stance.

If I'm not mistaken, all housing on my server (Balmung) sold out several weeks ago.
    I never take my choco out of free stance because I don't care what it's doing and it uses Choco Cure frequently.

In Free Stance it uses Regen when someone's HP is below 90% and will only use Cure if they're below 50%.

In healer stance the threshold is higher (think it's 70-80%, don't recall the actual number).

Regen is such garbage tho, it's just enough healing that you/your choco don't fall below 50% but not enough that your bird will just waste half of its time recasting it over and over.

Cure is twice the net potency of Regen (300 vs 25*6=150) for the same cast time -_-

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So does low-level healer stance with Choco Cure (in, say, FATEs) work like low-level Eos, where you basically become unkillable?

Idk how their internal "recast timer" works but there are times when I've died during big boss FATEs (Cancer, Svara) and the choco in Free Stance was perfectly capable of keeping itself alive and going (as long as it didn't wind up attacking from the front).

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Chocobos can't take nearly as much punishment as fairies. This might be different for the tank version but I kinda doubt it.

He was asking about how well they cure, not tank.

If I die Eos doesn't keep doin stuff >_> choco does tho.

(and no, chocos can't tank for shit)

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

So does low-level healer stance with Choco Cure (in, say, FATEs) work like low-level Eos, where you basically become unkillable?
    Yes. Its damn near impossible to die even at mid and higher levels once your bird learns cure, provided you aren't eating telegraphs that will one-shot you.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    (and no, chocos can't tank for shit)
    I have R3 defender and my bird was able to tank Cancer from 100-0% (with Eos spamming Embrace and me alternating DOTs and cures). So it looks like a bird can generate enough enmity to compensate for the heals needed to keep it alive, at a minimum.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

The semi-nice thing about tank bird is that they really want to try to take hate from you if you're higher, which I think (never took a close look) will boost their lolDPS.

I have R3 defender and my bird was able to tank Cancer from 100-0% (with Eos spamming Embrace and me alternating DOTs and cures). So it looks like a bird can generate enough enmity to compensate for the heals needed to keep it alive, at a minimum.
    I was more referring to the higher levels, when they still have 2k HP at 50.

At the lower levels I'm surprised it was able to keep hate off of any DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    The semi-nice thing about tank bird is that they really want to try to take hate from you if you're higher, which I think (never took a close look) will boost their lolDPS.
    I remember someone theorizing this but it was just an anecdotal observation afaik.

I one parsed Attack vs Defender (only first skills unlocked) on a dummy and they came out exactly the same as far as damage and skill frequency (but this was with me doing nothing).

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I was more referring to the higher levels, when they still have 2k HP at 50.

At the lower levels I'm surprised it was able to keep hate off of any DPS.
    I was "soloing" for the first 50% or so, which gave it enough of a hate lead to hold the boss when DDs showed up.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

That's pretty crazy if R3 bird can tank cancer (with heals on it). He hits like a truck, even when alone and at his weakest.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Still zero word on them letting us make use of /companionaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    That's pretty crazy if R3 bird can tank cancer (with heals on it). He hits like a truck, even when alone and at his weakest.
    Mind you he was on SCH, which is unlimited free heals.