+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving Beyond Cable TV     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Moving Beyond Cable TV

I'm looking to drop my cable TV provider once the world cup is done (+$90 for only three-four channels I watch regularly). My bills are egregious and they refused to lower them. They can get away with this behavior because they have a monopoly on my apartment complex (the cable company wired the complex for an exclusivity deal). Additionally, I imagine the impending Net Neutrality decision will probably fuck us all over anyway.

I've got subscriptions for all the relevant services (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) so they'll be more or less able to substitute for it for any infrequent TV shows I watch, plus I'm on IPTorrents so I can torrent any backlog of shows.

However, I tend to watch a decent amount of news and sports programs, and IPTorrents really lags behind on that stuff. I'm not against subscriptions or even buying equipment if need be, so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'm listening.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The a la cart solution you want isn't really available. Most of the stuff is linked to your account. For instance, if you don't have an ESPN cable subscription you won't be able to use the watch ESPN app.

There isn't a great option yet. Being able to buy a TNT, FOX, ESPN channel subscription individually would be nice. Although I think most people would be surprised at paying 15 or 20 dollars for ESPN every month.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

pretty much. I know there's a way to get broadcast tv if that will take care of your news hunger, but I really don't know about sports unless you just watch the local teams!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Oh, I derped on something. If you are willing to be retro and use an antenna, you can still get all the local broadcast channels for free using a HD antenna.

Like 20$ and you'll get abc/nbc/cbs/fox/cw/pbs all in HD.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I use XBMC to get my channels

Can work on Mac/PC/Linux/Ouya/Some Android and IOS/Apple TV 2

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Theres ways of streaming sporting events online for free but sports are best watched with company so it gives you an excuse to go to a sports bar or a friends house if you don't. Don't forget too a lot of channels stream new episodes on their website within 24 hours. For example, I don't have cable but by Friday Parks and Rec from Thursday night will be on NBC.com, etc etc etc.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I dropped cable, picked up a Mohu leaf, and DL anything else I need. I havent looked back for a second (been about a year).
    If youre in to sports, I still here theyre hit and miss though.

XBMC is probably the best option for sports, look into SportsDevil add on.

Or if you don't mind using a browser, you can always hit up first row sports.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Oh, I derped on something. If you are willing to be retro and use an antenna, you can still get all the local broadcast channels for free using a HD antenna.

Like 20$ and you'll get abc/nbc/cbs/fox/cw/pbs all in HD.
    Just wanted to highlight this. We use an antenna that only cost us $30 from Walmart. When we moved to our current apartment twc had a deal for the internet we wanted plus basic cable that was cheaper than just getting the internet. And guess what? Our antenna gives a better picture (since they are hd) AND more English channels. So we still only use the antenna.

I strongly recommend getting one and testing to see what kind of signal you can get. You can always return it if you can't get much.

As for sports, I am interested in a solution for that, too. They used to offer redzone on the playstation, but Verizon bought it out (fu). Last nfl season I had to keep pestering people in the nfl thread for streaming links.

Thanks for the advice all. I shall look into all of these.

My buddies also suggested looking into Chromecast, and looking at the apps on there, seems highly viable.