FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Gamestop looking to introduce retailer-exclusive locked game content

As in, if you don't purchase a game from Gamestop, you will be unable to play part of the game
    Retailer interest and partnerships in a game’s exclusive DLC slate is one thing, but actually having control of exclusive gameplay sections embedded within the core game? Well that’s what could be happen if GameStop gets its own way.

A report penned by Gamesbeat, claims that GameSpot recently met with investment firm R.W. Baird to discuss current and incoming trends within the games industry.

Baird analyst Colin Sebastian revealed that the chain is looking to become involved in the development process of new games to embed exclusive content within titles, accessible only to GameStop customers.

In an investor note, Sebastian wrote, “[GamesStop] indicated that software publishers are more enthusiastic about partnering with it. For example, by offering exclusive content on each major game release, and longer term, future models may include GameStop offering exclusive gameplay.”

When the site contacted GameSpot, spokesperson Jackie Smith confirmed Sebastian’s claim as “accurate,” and added, “We are working with our [development] partners to build in a longer lead time. And we are working with them to get both physical and digital exclusives for our customers.”
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/08/game...ells-dreadful/
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/07/ga...s-development/

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Gonna go ahead and add that to the list of "reasons shopping at gamestop is bad and those that do it should feel bad".

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Gotta do everything they can to try and keep business up with digital distribution getting more and more popular. As scummy as it may be it's pretty fucking genius on their part, though I'm hard pressed to believe it'll be any more substantial than current retailer-exclusive DLC we see already when it comes to big AAA titles. Could you imagine the hilarity that'd ensue if the next CoD had Gamestop exclusive multiplayer? Part of me wants to see this take off just to enjoy the backlash that comes with it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Unless Gamestop is going to pay the developers out the ass, I see no incentive for them to agree to something like this.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Doesn't stuff already exist like this? Yes it's just been DLC before, but haven't there been games that had certain DLC dungeons/encounters that were retailer-exclusive(I think one of the Batman games) already? There's not really any difference in that, since it's just going to be them giving you a code to basically unlock on-disc Day 1 DLC. Unless they wall off something necessary to complete an important part of the story I don't see how this would matter.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    Doesn't stuff already exist like this? Yes it's just been DLC before, but haven't there been games that had certain DLC dungeons/encounters that were retailer-exclusive(I think one of the Batman games) already? There's not really any difference in that, since it's just going to be them giving you a code to basically unlock on-disc Day 1 DLC. Unless they wall off something necessary to complete an important part of the story I don't see how this would matter.
    The difference in those is that they're timed exclusives that will be open to everyone, by purchase on whichever store (PSN/XBLA/Steam), within 3-6 months. What Gamestop is looking to do is lock content that can only be accessed if you purchase the game through them.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I want this to happen at this point. Its like the music industry charging 17 bucks for 14 songs; 12 of which you didn't want. Shit needs to collapse under the weight of its own stupidity.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I wonder now if this is how Gamestop agrees to drop its opposition of DRM. Essentially trading the used game market share for an increase in initial game sales.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    The difference in those is that they're timed exclusives that will be open to everyone, by purchase on whichever store (PSN/XBLA/Steam), within 3-6 months. What Gamestop is looking to do is lock content that can only be accessed if you purchase the game through them.
    That part I get, but more that this is always some sort of costume/gear/throwaway side mission. Unless they locked a giant core part of the game's story or something then I don't really see why it'd matter outside of OCD completionists.

I'm pretty sure nobody is enthusiastic about this kind of idea except gamestop.

Publishers these days are looking at Digital Distribution as a great way to marginalize game recycling, as well as a good way to capture higher overall revenues by slowly dropping the price of the product (ie: progressively large discounts on digital platforms as time goes on) I'm pretty sure they generally despise brick-and-mortar retailers, and the sooner Gamestop dies or loses its clout in the marketplace, the better.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Stuff like this really makes me want Gamestop to go out of business. This is just getting ridiculous.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    I'm pretty sure nobody is enthusiastic about this kind of idea except gamestop.

Publishers these days are looking at Digital Distribution as a great way to marginalize game recycling, as well as a good way to capture higher overall revenues by slowly dropping the price of the product (ie: progressively large discounts on digital platforms as time goes on) I'm pretty sure they generally despise brick-and-mortar retailers, and the sooner Gamestop dies or loses its clout in the marketplace, the better.
    I have to assume actual publishers are salivating at the thought of cutting out packaging/transport costs, though I don't really know how costs related to digital distribution compare to it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't think Wal-Mart would ever let that shit fly.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Again, what incentive is there for game developers to agree to something like this?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Again, what incentive is there for game developers to agree to something like this?
    Probably increased shelf space and in-store advertising/ "Welcome to Gamestop, would you like to pre-order Game Title X today" stuff at first. Would probably shift into focused online banners and ads on the gamestop website as digital purchases take off. Game developers can write off a bit of their promotion costs and/or Gamestop will help cover some development costs.

Still a shitty trend for Gamestop to be trying to push.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    in the overwhelming majority of cases it's not up to the developers. these arrangements are made through the publishers, and considering they control project funding, they have all the leverage. there aren't many dev houses with enough clout to meaningfully push back against the publishers, and with a small handful of major publishers (most of which all behave in similarly shitty ways) controlling most of the mainstream market, it's not like they have very many options to take their projects elsewhere.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Ok, well, shift my question to the publishers then -- what incentive is there for the publishers to agree to something like this?

From what I've seen so far, it's just that Gamestop is trying to push this idea, nothing about what they're offering (read: how much they're going to pay) the other side.

Gamestop says "Do X or we won't stock your game new, won't put up any advertising, won't have launch events etc". They already make most of their money off of game recycling (used game sales), that gives them the ability to push around the publishers, because it hurts them a lot less than it hurts the publisher.

As long as the price to do X is less than the expected return of having the box on shelves in GameStop, the publisher will probably do it.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I personally don't see this getting any traction. Gamestop is dying as it stands.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It is and it isn't. In terms of brick and mortar, they're dying a slow death, as people still turn to GameStop for things like consoles and peripherals. The hurting economy encourages more people to buy used, which they do, and that's shitty for the video game industry (and I personally detest used games having inflated values—it's part of the reason I don't collect many, as much as I love them). However, GameStop doesn't just do walk-in retail business. They're not going to die, they're simply going to shift.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast