Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Spent 7 hrs in den cleaving

7 rancor mantles, 0 torque.

Mikegreenfuckme.gif

Atticusu

Wish I had your run, I spent 4 and got 2 torques but no mantle.

These torques are killer... >>;

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Bumping to vent frustration. Left a char in Gustav for 5 nights during the box kupower, probably spent a good 2-3hrs each night spamming pages. Get lvl 5 casket prowess, 4 maybe 5 Limnus Earrings, roughly 9 million hi-reraisers, various jugs, ammo, and crappy potions. But no Torque. Screw this crap. I tried.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I killed over 2000 Aura Statues for my torque without leaving the zone.

I recommend using the boxdestroyer addon. Also, if you get a range from a clue (Greater than X and less than Y), the number is always 5-20 from each bound. So a range of 20-60 tells you that the number can only be 40. A range of 50-60 tells you that the number can only be 55, etc. It makes the clue dramatically more informative and makes 5-guess chests easier.
    Super necro bump. I was wondering if you know whether this applies to hints using a Thief's Tool, hints from examining the box, or both? I am reviewing the source for boxdestroyer and it does not do the statistics correctly for binary search (looking to fix it as the odds of opening the box with binary search is often much higher than what is shown and may mislead people into examining the box when a search will very likely open it.)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

It definitely applies to the ones you get from examining the box. I never tried Thief's Tools.

To be clear about what I mean, the range clue works approximately like this:
    * Correct value is X
    * Greater than ( X-FLOOR(RAND()*15.99)-5 ) and less than ( X+FLOOR(RAND()*15.99+5 )
    * If either of the bounds is less than 10 or greater than 99, you get only the single "Greater than" or "Less than" message.

I am pretty sure I fixed the statistics in my version of BoxDestroyer at some point, but it was updated and overwritten and I no longer had a use for the addon so I dropped it.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Alright. Do we know that if when it's possible to receive a greater than hint, you will always receive a greater than hint? (i.e. true values of 15 - 29 could yield hints but if the above is strictly true then they may not.) The same question for the less than logic.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

If I understand what you're asking correctly, I think the answer is no?

If you have an actual value of 25, you could still get a "greater than 20 and less than 30" hint. It won't automatically default to "less than 30" just because it's within 20 of a bound.

You can track this yourself pretty easily by writing down 20 or so hints in notepad and looking at them. The minimum interval width will be 10 and you'll notice that you only get one-sided clues within 5 of a bound.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Sorry, I guess I worded that strangely. Using your example, the question would be "would you always get a greater than x hint"? Or would it sometimes return a one sided interval, and other times return a double sided.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Oh, it sometimes returns one-sided and other times double-sided, just based on whether its bound is outside the possible number line for the minigame.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Alright. I updated binary search on my local copy and tested it, it seems to work correctly. I'm trying to work this into the updated version too. For range, it's this?

G - The greater than number referenced
    L - The less than number referenced
    U = [max(G + 5, L - 20), min(G + 20, L - 5)]

In the cases where it's a single boundary, the expressions with G and L would be 0 or 99. Does that look right?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Minimum value should be 10, I think. Possible numbers range from 10 to 99.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Whoops. Also, that rule doesn't seem to apply to hints given by Thief's Tools as far as I can tell. During testing of the revised boxdestroyer code, I lightly took note of the hints I received from them. Like the first or second hint I got had two numbers that were more than 40 apart. I took a look through the dialogue tables to see if you can tell a difference.

Spoiler: show
    Code:
      <thing type="DialogTableEntry">
        <field name="index">11208</field>
        <field name="text">The chest is locked.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11209</field>
        <field name="text">What will you do?
    ≺Selection Dialog≻Leave it be.
    Attempt to unlock it.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11210</field>
        <field name="text">What will you do? (≺Numeric Parameter 0≻ chances remaining.)
    ≺Selection Dialog≻Give up.
    Enter a combination.
    Examine the lock.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11211</field>
        <field name="text">It appears that you can enter a two-digit combination between 10 and 99.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11212</field>
        <field name="text">You were unable to enter a combination.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11213</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that the lock's combination is ≺Multiple Choice (Parameter 1)≻[greater/less] than ≺Numeric Parameter 0≻.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11214</field>
        <field name="text">≺Player/Chocobo Parameter 0≻ failed to open the lock.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11215</field>
        <field name="text">It appears that the correct combination was ≺Numeric Parameter 0≻.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11216</field>
        <field name="text">≺Player/Chocobo Parameter 0≻ succeeded in opening the lock!≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11217</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that the second digit is ≺Multiple Choice (Parameter 0)≻[even/odd].≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11218</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that the first digit is ≺Multiple Choice (Parameter 0)≻[even/odd].≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11219</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that the combination is greater than ≺Numeric Parameter 0≻ and less than ≺Numeric Parameter 1≻.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11220</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that the combination is less than ≺Numeric Parameter 0≻.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11221</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that the combination is greater than ≺Numeric Parameter 0≻.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11222</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that one of the two digits is ≺Numeric Parameter 0≻.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11223</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that the second digit is ≺Numeric Parameter 0≻, ≺Numeric Parameter 1≻, or ≺Numeric Parameter 2≻.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11224</field>
        <field name="text">You have a hunch that the first digit is ≺Numeric Parameter 0≻, ≺Numeric Parameter 1≻, or ≺Numeric Parameter 2≻.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11225</field>
        <field name="text">You were unable to glean anything from your examination of the lock.≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>
        <field name="index">11226</field>
        <field name="text">Obtain this item?≺Prompt≻
    </field>
      </thing>

I'm guessing the first greater/less than hint listed is for when you fail to open the box. There are only three others listed (greater and less, greater, less), so it's not super convenient to tell them apart using the dialogue ID. I might go back and mess around with more boxes helping someone else (got Alchemist's Torque on the 4th box after revising the addon :O) to validate this a bit more before uploading a revised version anywhere.